Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 04:55 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Interesting to see Pittsburgh #1!?
I'm honestly not surprised its at the top, with the exception of Boston. Pittsburgh is easily the 2nd most Irish city in the country, percentage wise and the whole city shuts down for the parade and celebration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 09:22 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Interesting to see Pittsburgh #1!?
Anyone who has ever been here St. Patrick's Day weekend shouldn't find it shocking Pittsburgh is one o the best in the country.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:49 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
^ I have no doubts it's "one of the best"... But #1? I'm surprised because it's not top 5 in attendance or participation... Unless it's more condensed... thus better?

Old 03-13-2015, 09:51 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Chicago's going for "greenest city" a second year in a row. Tourism Ireland ran the competition last year and apparently the city came up on top. I know even though it's only Friday people are getting pumped for tomorrow. A day of dizzying pub crawls going on all over the city. I have 4 people at my house right now from out of town resting up as we speak.

Quote:
Chicago aims to be world's greenest city on St. Patrick's weekend

Chicago is going for the title of "greenest city in the world" this weekend for the second year in a row.

"We will have the most buildings lit up in green of any other city in the world," said Blair Ciecko, director of ShamROCK Chicago. "I don't think we should have a problem nabbing the title of greenest city."

Chicago's St. Patrick's Day celebrations will also include countless pub crawls, at least three parades and one very green river.

Some of the city's most prominent buildings and monuments will be illuminated in green Friday through Tuesday. ShamROCK Chicago, the group that organized the lighting, has 15 structures lined up to participate, including Trump Tower, Navy Pier, John Hancock Center, Art Institute of Chicago, Soldier Field and Old St. Patrick's Church. Tourism Ireland created the "greenest city" campaign to get cities to light up landmarks around the world.

People can participate by taking selfies and posting them on social media with the hashtag #ShamROCKChicago. Nineteen stations are sprinkled throughout the city and photos will be projected on the Block Thirty Seven building.

"This project gives Chicagoans the opportunity to display their green pride," Ciecko said. "People feed off each other's energy. Even people who aren't Irish get into it. I really think St. Patrick's Day gives people an opportunity to come together to celebrate something common to this city's culture."

Even politicians are putting differences aside for the celebration. The South Side Irish Parade will include Mayor Rahm Emanuel, challenger Jesus "Chuy" Garcia and Gov. Bruce Rauner. They will march down Western Avenue from 103rd Street in Beverly to 115th Street in Morgan Park on Sunday, said Tom McGourty, chairman of the South Side parade committee.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:15 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
^ I have no doubts it's "one of the best"... But #1? I'm surprised because it's not top 5 in attendance or participation... Unless it's more condensed... thus better?
The parade attracts about 250,000 or even more most years and there are the tens of thousands across the river in the South Side who celebrate all day. How much bigger does it need to be in a metro of 2.4 million?

Old 03-13-2015, 07:32 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
^ that's impressive, but if we're talking sheer numbers, Cleveland is a 2.1 million metro and attracts 400K-500K

Probably more impressive is Savannah, GA

Old 03-14-2015, 07:06 AM

93,349 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
https://blog.niche.com/portfolio_ite...-patricks-day/

Overall

1. Pittsburgh
2. Boston
3. Davenport, Iowa
4. Buffalo
5. Philadelphia
6. Savannah, Georgia
7. Kansas City
8. Cleveland
9. St. Louis
10. Chicago

% Irish

1. Boston - 13.6%
2. Pittsburgh - 13.5%
3. Davenport - 13.1%
4. Philadelphia - 11.3%
5. Buffalo - 10.9%
6. Kansas City - 10.2%
7. St. Louis - 9.1%
8. Cleveland - 8.0%
9. Savannah - 7.4%
10. Chicago - 6.9%

Year Parade Established

1. Boston - 1737
2. Philadelphia - 1771
3. Buffalo - 1811
4. Savannah - 1824
5. Chicago - 1843
6. Pittsburgh - 1866
7. Cleveland - 1867
8. Kansas City - 1873
9. St. Louis - 1968
10. Davenport - 1986

Bar Grade

1(tie) Pittsburgh - A+
1(tie) Boston - A+
1(tie) Philadelphia - A+
1(tie) Chicago - A+
5(tie) Davenport - A
5(tie) Buffalo - A
5(tie) Cleveland - A
5(tie) St. Louis - A
9. Kansas City - A-
10. Savannah - B+

St. Patricks Day Hype

1. Savannah - 567%
2. Davenport - 150%
3. Pittsburgh - 136%
4. Buffalo - 83%
5. Cleveland - 75%
6. St. Louis - 58%
7. Kansas City - 37%
8. Philadelphia - 27%
9. Boston - 18%
10. Chicago - 16%
Given the criteria, I'm really surprised that Syracuse isn't on this list given that the Tipperary Hill neighborhood and other Irish based pubs will be busy all day and the city is 15.2% Irish. They even put the St. Patrick's Day Parade on TV twice on the same day(Live and at 8 PM). The parade takes today, btw and the parade court is announced weeks in advance, with segments on the news leading up to the event.

There's also a Shamrock run the previous weekend through the Tipperary Hill neighborhood. 2015 Tipperary Hill Shamrock Run That weekend or two prior to the run, one of the Tipp Hill pubs has a Green Beer event: Despite cold weather residents in Tipperary Hill celebrate Green Beer Sunday | The NewsHouse | Syracuse University and Community News - S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications

I'd mention Albany, but it is just under 100k in population.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-14-2015 at 07:15 AM..

Old 03-14-2015, 05:52 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
The parade attracts about 250,000 or even more most years and there are the tens of thousands across the river in the South Side who celebrate all day. How much bigger does it need to be in a metro of 2.4 million?
I've been through a few rainy St. Patrick's Days in Pittsburgh. It's sort of like the Superbowl parade, but I never got a half day for St. Patty's. One of the few times downtown is more lively than the Southside.

Never really liked it in the burgh. Nor am I a fan of most of the festivals. I don't know why. Love the city. Maybe it's great enough that a festival isn't needed to boost it up like some other cities?

People "celebrate" all day on the South side as an everyday thing. Many days I'd be walking to work and certain bars would be full in the morning. On the whole Pittsburgh bars fill up early. Most places I've lived people would go out around 10 pm. If you were to wait that long to go out on the weekend on the South Side you're already looking at standing room only.

I had planned on checking out Savannah this year, but alas I never made it. However, I believe they said something like 500,000 people show up for that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.