Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:01 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
"She's got a face like 3 miles of bad road, bless her heart."

If you speak ill of the dead, put "God rest his soul" on it. "He didn't die soon enough, God rest his soul."
I've heard that! My sister in law is from Tennessee and I definitely noticed the utter politeness there. Despite everyone being so sweet to each other, behind closed doors, they sure like to gossip! I also saw the video of Elizabeth Edwards calling in when Ann Coulter was being interviewed on TV. She so politely asked Ann Coulter to stop making personal attacks at her husband. She even stated that she was doing it politely because she's from the South.

People were so nice when I visited Savannah, only to find out from my brother (who was living there at the time) that there's still a pretty bad racism problem there. But then, maybe it would have been different for me if I hadn't been a white girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street.Fighter.2 View Post
i have been to san fran, seattle. vancouver has a huge chinese population. the richmond suburb is 60% chinese. the mayor of vancouver is a white guy that actually speaks chinese.
Funny...I have buddhist and daoist friends, and I don't think either has any heritage other than western European. I enjoyed reading the Dao a few years back. I think that some of our leaders might benefit from it.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Annie View Post
Funny you should mention that. I would say that is part of my cultural upbringing. I was raised (Baptised & Confirmed) Lutheran, so saying "God Bless You" when someone sneezes or needs a little comfort comes second nature to me. As an adult, I realized early on not everyone appreciates such a wish. Now I try to be cognizant of who I say it too. I know many who would say I should not concern myself with holding back, but I don't agree. Being aware of other cultures and appreciating differences includes not offending someone of another culture with my words. Same goes for "I will pray for you". Personally, I try to be very sensitive to the beliefs (or lack thereof) of those I am communicating with and where I am.

You know, I don't go to church, and I don't like traditions that don't have personal meaning, so I generally don't use sayings like that, but I don't expect others to hold back on my account. I figure that if someone wants to "bless" me or pray for me, it's their choice, and whether they do or don't, I'm still me, and it's still an act of kindness on their part, so who am I to say they shouldn't because of what I believe, or don't believe? My dad is a pastor, has been my whole life, so I hear those kinds of things all the time, as well as many scripture references. I figure that people shouldn't hold back when it's an act of kindness and compassion (well, outside of physically touching someone, etc). The world needs more love and a little less political correctness, in my opinion.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. I wonder if it is really a generational characteristic.
I was going to reply that maybe it's generational, like you. My generation, overall, tends to marry later, have kids later, work more (women), be more independent (women). My parents asked me subtle questions for a long time, without actually asking me what they wanted to know: "when are you getting married so that I can have grandchildren?" They finally gave up when I was around 25 though, and now they have 2 grandkids (my brother had his first at 35, and I had my first at 29). Must have been difficult for them to wait for so long! haha. But, they were married at 19, and had my brother at 21. My grandma (not my grandpa though) was even worse with the questions! It's definitely different these days, when women can work and are not forced to stay home by their husbands.

Oh, and experiencing life. Some women want to settle down right away, but others, like me, want to live a little first. But I have to add that not every woman of every generation fits into one stereotype or other of that generation. Both my mom and my aunt are very independent women. My aunt *never* asked me when I would be getting married. She has been working her entire adult life, even though she did have 4 kids. She is probably the most progressive person on that side of my family.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:59 PM

547 posts, read 1,185,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Growing up we didn't really do anything "special", I don't think. I think we were a pretty average American family, nothing very exciting! lol! I have always loved learning about other cultures, and in a way I have always been slightly envious of other cultures. It just seems more exciting and interesting to me! lol! I know that probably sounds kind of stupid, but it's the truth. I have always loved learning anything and everything about other cultures!

Anyway, like I said, growing up we never did anything really special or exciting, but my life has changed quite a bit since I got married. My husband is Ukrainian. He always says he's Russian though. I'm not sure why, but he was born in Ukraine and lived there until he was 9 years old. He doesn't speak Ukrainian, but he does speak fluent Russian and English. His mother was born in Ukraine and she has lived in Russia as well as Ukraine. My husbands grandmother (my mother-in-law's mom) still lives in Ukraine, but since her husband just recently died she is going to be moving to America soon. My husband works alot and my mother-in-law doesn't want to go over to Ukraine alone, so I am going to go with her. Right now I'm in the process of learning to speak Russian better than I do now! lol! I can understand it and speak it a bit, but definitely not fluently. So, now that I'm married I spend pretty much all of my time with my husband, my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law and my brother-in-law. They are a very close family and they are some of the nicest people I have ever met! My mother-in-law is one of my best friends, we do everything together! They all speak Russian, they eat Russian/ Ukrainian food, etc. I love learning more and more about their culture and I absolutely cannot wait to go to Ukraine! I don't know everything about their culture, but I do know some, like much like in the US, a lot of people in Russia/ Ukraine are Christans. I never learned anything about the Russian/ Ukrainian culture growing up, so I was surprised by a lot of it! lol! The food they eat isn't what I expected it to be either. I don't really know what I expected it to be? They eat a lot of meat and potatos, they eat a lot of bread and they eat a lot of veggies. Here's a site that I just found that explains some of the Russian meals.. Russian food - traditional food in Russia and authentic Russian recipes and cuisine -- WayToRussia.Net Guide to Russia Most of them don't look like anything too spacial, and to be honest, a lot of the stuff that my mother-in-law has cooked looked pretty nasty, to me. But it has all been really good! She hasn't made a meal that I didn't like! If you click on the link I posted and go to the soups, the first soup, Borcsh, is something that my mother-in-law makes a lot! I didn't think I would like it and it took me a few weeks to finally decided to try it, but now a love it! Also, if you go back to the main page and then go to main courses, Pelmeny and Beef stroganov are two things that my mother-in-law makes quite often and they are very, very good! Again, I don't know too much about their culture, though I have been reading up on the internet a lot lately trying to learn as much as I can. But if you are interested in learning about it, this is a website about the city in Ukraine where my husband was born and his family is from, Lviv. Lviv - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you so much for sharing! Isn't it wonderful to get along so well with your in-laws. I am very lucky to get along extremely well with mine too. My husbands parents have both passed away but we were very close and my sisters-in-law are my sisters by choice. I'm sure I will enjoy following the links and reading the information you have shared. Thanks again!
AA

Old 10-30-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
You know, I don't go to church, and I don't like traditions that don't have personal meaning, so I generally don't use sayings like that, but I don't expect others to hold back on my account. I figure that if someone wants to "bless" me or pray for me, it's their choice, and whether they do or don't, I'm still me, and it's still an act of kindness on their part, so who am I to say they shouldn't because of what I believe, or don't believe? My dad is a pastor, has been my whole life, so I hear those kinds of things all the time, as well as many scripture references. I figure that people shouldn't hold back when it's an act of kindness and compassion (well, outside of physically touching someone, etc). The world needs more love and a little less political correctness, in my opinion.
I understand what you are saying. Actually those sayings do have a personal meaning to me, but I still don't think someone who doesn't believe in God would appreciate my saying I wish God to bless them. I wish they would believe in God but I feel it is their decision if they don't. I don't go to church either. My church is in my heart and soul. I went to church as a child, but not as an adult. I don't believe it is a requirement to worship in a church for God to know He is my savior and He has control over my life (together with me). I agree we could use less PC, and I'm glad to know you wouldn't be offended if I said either to you.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:23 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,258 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for sharing! Isn't it wonderful to get along so well with your in-laws. I am very lucky to get along extremely well with mine too. My husbands parents have both passed away but we were very close and my sisters-in-law are my sisters by choice. I'm sure I will enjoy following the links and reading the information you have shared. Thanks again!
AA
I love that I get along so well with my in-laws! Like I said, my husband and his family are very close. We live about 10 minutes away from my mother-in-law and we spend a lot of time with her, as well as my sister-in-law and my brother-in-law. If we didn't get along my life would probably be pretty miserable! I really don't think that there's anyone my mother-in-law doesn't like though, she really is one of the sweetest people I have ever met! I think I got pretty lucky! I have a wonderful family myself and now I have my husband and his wonderful family!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:46 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,387,320 times
WHY WE LIKE BEING GREEK:

Because we never visit others empty handed.
Because there is no way to explain "kapsoura" (burning desire for someone) to those who are not Greek.
Because in Greece family is still something valuable.
Because we always make it, albeit in the last moment!
Because we were slaves for 400 years yet never bring that up as an excuse
for our current state.
Because "filotimo" (friend of honour, helping someone because it brings shame not to) does not exist in any other language.
Because whenever foreigners cannot find a word, they use one of ours.
Because we spend our bad and low times with our friends and family, not with shrinks.
Because Socrates, Plato and Aristotle were Greek.
Because we invented theatre.
Because we gave birth to Democracy.
Because we discovered logic.
Because we jumpstarted science.
Because we are proud of our culture, not of our wars.
Because when we were building the Parthenon, others were still sleeping in caves.
Because we have a distinction between Eros (being in love) and Agape
(brotherly love), while we feel both of them passionately.
Because we gave the oath "freedom or death".
Because when others were clothed in wolf skin we were weaving see-through linen.
Because "Greeks do not fight as heroes, heroes fight like Greeks" (Winston Churchill,1941).
Because we gave our ancient alphabet to the Romans & our medieval alphabet to the Slavs.
Because we are not ashamed to cry.
Because we dance when we are joyful or sad, or,...........................................
Because we work to live...we do not live to work.
Because 97% of the stars' names are Greek.
Because when you shout "brother or cousin " in the streets everyone turns around.
Because the inside of all our churches are not dark but filled with "Light."
Because our parents do not forget that we exist when we reach 18.
Because when we want to sunbathe, we go to the beach.
Because we confront every difficulty with humor.
Because the Olympic games were born in Greece.
Because, with our (Olympic) Light, we unite the world and pass the message of peace.
Because our sky is blue, not grey.
Because 40% of the Oxford dictionary is made up of Greek words.
Because we know what "Kefi" (propensity for fun) means

Old 10-30-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
WHY WE LIKE BEING GREEK:

Because we never visit others empty handed.
Because there is no way to explain "kapsoura" (burning desire for someone) to those who are not Greek.
Because in Greece family is still something valuable.
Because we always make it, albeit in the last moment!
Because we were slaves for 400 years yet never bring that up as an excuse
for our current state.
Because "filotimo" (friend of honour, helping someone because it brings shame not to) does not exist in any other language.
Because whenever foreigners cannot find a word, they use one of ours.
Because we spend our bad and low times with our friends and family, not with shrinks.
Because Socrates, Plato and Aristotle were Greek.
Because we invented theatre.
Because we gave birth to Democracy.
Because we discovered logic.
Because we jumpstarted science.
Because we are proud of our culture, not of our wars.
Because when we were building the Parthenon, others were still sleeping in caves.
Because we have a distinction between Eros (being in love) and Agape
(brotherly love), while we feel both of them passionately.
Because we gave the oath "freedom or death".
Because when others were clothed in wolf skin we were weaving see-through linen.
Because "Greeks do not fight as heroes, heroes fight like Greeks" (Winston Churchill,1941).
Because we gave our ancient alphabet to the Romans & our medieval alphabet to the Slavs.
Because we are not ashamed to cry.
Because we dance when we are joyful or sad, or,...........................................
Because we work to live...we do not live to work.
Because 97% of the stars' names are Greek.
Because when you shout "brother or cousin " in the streets everyone turns around.
Because the inside of all our churches are not dark but filled with "Light."
Because our parents do not forget that we exist when we reach 18.
Because when we want to sunbathe, we go to the beach.
Because we confront every difficulty with humor.
Because the Olympic games were born in Greece.
Because, with our (Olympic) Light, we unite the world and pass the message of peace.
Because our sky is blue, not grey.
Because 40% of the Oxford dictionary is made up of Greek words.
Because we know what "Kefi" (propensity for fun) means
That's wonderful VegasVic!!!

Old 07-31-2010, 11:30 PM

255 posts, read 881,934 times
I am a first generation Dominican American from my moms side, and Italian and Irish on my dads side.
Born and raised in Providence, RI.
I've lived in cali, az, ct, s. Carolina, ga,
Traveled extensively in the USA,
Visit nyc and boston frequently as its very close..
Hopefully one day I will start oversomewhere fresh.
I have a facination with asian cultures and Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.