Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 AM

10 posts, read 35,273 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for (but don't know if this even exists) for a U.S. mid to big-sized city that is liberal, has medical/legal marijuana (and I'm not asking for opinions about whether this is right or wrong), with a large atheist/agnostic population, low crime, fair share of green/park areas, and also good elementary schools. I've researched online, but get mixed results. Does anyone know if this even exists? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 10:24 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Just focusing on major cities, you could look into the Metro Areas of:

Boston
Seattle
Portland, OR
SF/Bay Area
Honolulu
San Diego
Denver

As someone who lives in Boston part time, I would say the inner suburbs would fit your criteria perfectly.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Portland, Seattle, Boston, San Francisco, or Denver.

Austin would also be great except for the marijuana requirement.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:06 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Look for somewhere in Washington State. Seattle area--or Bellingham or Olympia for smaller city/towns.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:44 PM

10 posts, read 35,273 times
Thanks all! We're looking into relocating when we both finish our Master degrees, and are tired of Texas conservatism. Have researched WA and OR, will look up the rest of the cities. Thanks!

Old 03-22-2013, 01:48 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Portland, Seattle, Boston, San Francisco, or Denver.

Austin would also be great except for the marijuana requirement.
Denver has a rather more robust evangelical and devout Catholic population compared to those cities, and is a little more libertarian than liberal--certainly compared to Portland, Seattle, Boston, or San Francisco.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:48 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Denver has a rather more robust evangelical and devout Catholic population compared to those cities, and is a little more libertarian than liberal--certainly compared to Portland, Seattle, Boston, or San Francisco.
I've heard recently that is starting to change, especially with the influx of young professionals from out of state. They recently legalized marijuana. To me, it seems like the kind of place where if somebody is religious, they don't shove it down your throat.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:56 PM

27,570 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massanetd View Post
I'm looking for (but don't know if this even exists) for a U.S. mid to big-sized city that is liberal, has medical/legal marijuana (and I'm not asking for opinions about whether this is right or wrong), with a large atheist/agnostic population, low crime, fair share of green/park areas, and also good elementary schools. I've researched online, but get mixed results. Does anyone know if this even exists? Thanks!
Sounds like Seattle to a T.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:58 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massanetd View Post
Thanks all! We're looking into relocating when we both finish our Master degrees, and are tired of Texas conservatism. Have researched WA and OR, will look up the rest of the cities. Thanks!
Take Oregon off your list unless you are buying a house. Medical marijuana might be legal under state law, but it is illegal under federal law and the feds seize real estate. Very very few landlord will allow you to smoke dope in your rental.

Craigslist is full of house wanted ads where the tenant is looking for a place that will allow medical marijuana.

In addition, in Oregon the landlord can ban smoking both inside the residence and anywhere on the grounds. So unless you take your dope in some other way besides smoking it, you are going to run into the smoking ban.

Maybe try Washington state. But both Washington and Oregon are quite conservative as soon as you leave the city limits of the large cities.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Take Oregon off your list unless you are buying a house. Medical marijuana might be legal under state law, but it is illegal under federal law and the feds seize real estate. Very very few landlord will allow you to smoke dope in your rental.

Craigslist is full of house wanted ads where the tenant is looking for a place that will allow medical marijuana.

In addition, in Oregon the landlord can ban smoking both inside the residence and anywhere on the grounds. So unless you take your dope in some other way besides smoking it, you are going to run into the smoking ban.

Maybe try Washington state. But both Washington and Oregon are quite conservative as soon as you leave the city limits of the large cities.
Agreed about this, and regarding good elementary schools, it's going to be hit or miss. You would have to choose your area carefully because I think on the whole, our schools are ranked fairly low.

The green and parks we have in abundance. Beautiful coast line too.

Much of the crime is meth related around the state although you may never see it if you move to the more well-to-do areas. Availability of jobs will depend upon what your masters degrees are in and so will the areas to which you will want to relocate. Religion is a non-issue as long as you respect other's preferences they usually will respect yours.

If you like liberal towns, we have college towns that lean towards more liberal residents. These will be the most liberal. Most others will be a bit more on the conservative side.

Portland which is the largest city will have the most liberal leanings and the most jobs.

From what you say you are looking for though, although I have to qualify this by saying I have only spent time and never have lived there, Seattle or the nearby suburbs sounds like it would suit you best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.