Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Actually some countries make a practice of that. Canada in my opinion is characterized by a more reflective self-critical view of itself as a country. I'm generalizing, but you rarely hear a Canadian say "this is the best country in the world" or anything close. The British kind of have a mocking attitude towards many of the pretensions of their country, and especially in younger people, I've never heard a German or Dutch person say "We're #1!" or anything like that. (maybe at a soccer match!)
It's one thing for me to say, "This dress makes me look fat." It's altogether different for someone else to walk up to me and say, "Hey, that dress makes you look fat."

In other words, self criticism isn't quite the same as criticism coming from someone else!

Old 04-07-2013, 01:07 PM

562 posts, read 989,798 times
Pretty much agree with basically everything that guy said. Still there are things I like about the US over Europe, and all of my friends and family and here. Could do with some cultural changes but whatevs.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:08 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL no I'm not...but once again, I see that you and I have an obvious disconnect in our sense of humor!
Yeah you are. You can deny it all you like, but I know you are

Old 04-07-2013, 01:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
I find it ridiculous to chase after this stuff, as you put it, as well. However, I'm not convinced that's any different than in Europe. I have read that cell phones and such caught on in Europe before they did in the US. Unfortunately, I can't find any documentation for that.
They definitely did catch on much earlier. But computers caught on earlier here, I don't think either says much about consumerism just the flow of technology.

Maybe the US has more on average, but you can find plenty of conspicious consumption in say, London and probably the wealthier European cities.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
Yeah you are. You can deny it all you like, but I know you are
Right. Hey, by the way, did I tell you that I'm visiting the UK in a few weeks? I'm really excited about it, and even though I am sure I'll observe at least 17 things that I consider different, in a negative way, from what I'm used to living here in the US, I PROMISE not to make a stink about it on a blog! In fact, I'll share photos and go on and on about how much fun I had and compliment all the positive and interesting things that I'm sure I'll experience, to anyone who will even pretend to listen!

I love traveling!

Old 04-07-2013, 01:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Right. Hey, by the way, did I tell you that I'm visiting the UK in a few weeks? I'm really excited about it, and even though I am sure I'll observe at least 17 things that I consider different, in a negative way, from what I'm used to living here in the US, I PROMISE not to make a stink about it on a blog! In fact, I'll share photos and go on and on about how much fun I had and compliment all the positive and interesting things that I'm sure I'll experience, to anyone who will even pretend to listen!

I love traveling!
Take lots of pictures for us!

Old 04-07-2013, 02:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:

I love traveling!
I'd curious (or entertained) to hear some negativity as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Take lots of pictures for us!
I have some photos from a few years back. Mostly Liverpool. A commercial street:

I nearly got run over as a kid by looking the wrong direction for traffic when crossing the street. Old court building (St. George's Hall):

There was an imitation judge's wig left out. My friend put it on and sat on the judge's seat. St. George:

old building:

docks:

on the dockfront:

Old 04-07-2013, 02:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
My daughter just got back from there (England). She was amazed at the video cameras everywhere, capturing one's every movement.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My daughter just got back from there (England). She was amazed at the video cameras everywhere, capturing one's every movement.
Yeh, they'd had those for a while. A bit creepy, though Manhattan has copied England's video cameras to some extent.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:45 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,302 times
Quote:

I love traveling!
Yes, I think you did mention that trip

I seem to remember I gave you detailed instructions on how to book a train journey from London to Harrogate at minimal cost, but you seem to have been a little confused by them, as you came back to this forum and told people that you'd decided it would be cheaper to rent a car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.