Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

I second Northfield, MN. Um-ya-ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 10:07 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Winona, Minn..
Interesting that you say that. I visited a friend from high school there one weekend and I had a really good time. They really know how to party hard there, lol.

I didn't think it was vibrant, but a lot of fun.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:31 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
With all the seconds and thirds, I add for the first SCOFF for Bloomington, Indiana.
I think we should make a deal. I'm remove the scoff if I like IU the next time I visit. Otherwise, I'm gonna make it an extra double tall SCOFF latte.

Naperville isn't a college town. It's a wife-with-Lexus-driving metropolitan suburb that paradoxically has a liberal arts college in/around the city center.
It would also help if I visited Naperville in the daytime.

I have yet to visit Columbia, Missouri, which was my final destination to cross off on my list last summer. Never made it. There's always next summer.
But, life's too short, especially when it takes a full day to drive home, plus then an extra hour to go to the parents' house from Ann Arbor.
I-94 on the way in, M-14 on the way out ... well, as least I don't have to fight with Toledo traffic coming from Akron anymore.

It's a lovely, soybean-smell-filled night here in beautiful Champaign-Urbana. Wait, that's a pattern in the bottom of my teacup. I should probably close the patio door ... nothing like the cold smell of yuck.*

If you think I'm bad, I have a professor back at UM (political philosopher) who has this to say on his website: "Ann Arbor, something to write home about/in the Midwest, which generally isn't." tee hee.

*: totally exaggerating here. You can't smell the odor on the Urbana side of town. Urbana has the odorous smell of economic decay and petty crime.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Ann Arbor is much like Madison but on a smaller scale -- it's about what Madison would be if you moved the capital somewhere else and sent all the bureaucrats and support staff packing with it. I'm also pretty fond of Bloomington IN near campus. IU has the nicest campus I've ever seen. Unfortunately, the sociopolitical climate during the times I spent there (early 90s) was so toxic that you could feel the tension in the air. Lawrence KS was pretty nice but I don't know if I could stand the isolation. The closest thing approximating a "big city" within a comfortable drive is Kansas City, and that just wouldn't cut it for me. Also, I'd throw in Evanston. It's a borderline case since Evanston's atmosphere and culture is influenced just as much by the fact that it borders Chicago as it is by the fact that Northwestern is there. But IMO that creates an atmosphere with the benefits of a campus vibe without the drawbacks.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:22 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
Madison around the university is moderately interesting, and there is a real downtown around the capitol. The nicest areas are the westerly residential sectors. The Beltline Highway is a linear arrangement of office complexes. It's got everything.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:10 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
Default M Type X

What don't you like about Bloomington? Thx

Old 10-31-2007, 07:26 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
I fourth Bloomington

Old 10-31-2007, 07:30 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
University of Tennessee-Knoxville---a little south but surrouded by the Smokies. its pretty nice. Good taverns and you cant beat the atmosphere during sporting events

Old 10-31-2007, 03:45 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
I always thought it would be cool to attend Northern Michigan University in Marquette, Michigan. Sure is pretty up there.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:52 PM

285 posts, read 1,068,214 times
Carbondale, Illinois? Anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.