Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 03:36 PM

161 posts, read 387,757 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family and I are endind a 1 year tour of USA and are getting ready to settle down again. We are in between the 3 cities mentioned above (Portland, Anchorage, San Diego) and its proven very hard to decide where we want to live.
I'm a nurse, my husband a business admnintrator and we have 2 school aged children. To tell you the truth we love San Diego but I'm not sure we can afford to live there. With our (possible) income of around $150K we would have to live in a bad area with bad schools in a old house (please correct me if I'm wrong). (very depressing even with all the sunshine)
Or house budget is about $300K TOPS.
We think Oregon is gorgeous and more affordable but not sure about the weather.
The financial incentive (lower taxes, better pay, etc) of living in Alaska is what attracts us to Anchorage (I can tolerate snow much better than rain).

So Id really appreciate your pros and cons on these cities.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 03:49 PM

37 posts, read 82,151 times
This is a difficult one. On one hand you like san diego and on the other hand you are considering 8 months of cold weather in Anchorage. Portland seems like a middle ground.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:53 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,834,409 times
Does it HAVE to be one of those three? If you like Oregon but not rain, you might enjoy somewhere in Eastern Oregon or Eastern Washington. The Tri-Cities of Washington are very nice if you can handle a desert climate. Cold(ish) winters, hot summers, but very low humidity and precipitation. The cost of living is also quite a bit lower. The area is close to the Oregon border. Also has good schools.

Here is a cost of living comparison between Portland and Kennewick (one of the Tri-Cities):

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Between San Deigo and Kennewick:

And between Anchorage and Kennewick:

Here are the Wikipedia pages for each of the cities that make up the Tri-Cities:

Kennewick, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Richland, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pasco, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Collectively:

Tri-Cities, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anchorage, and Alaska in general, has a very high cost of living as everything has to be shipped in. Beautiful state though, and Anchorage has one of the more comfortable climates of Alaska. (Although if you, like myself, like having all four seasons, the colder winters of Fairbanks are made up for by the warmer summers, in comparison to Anchorage. Fairbanks has an even higher cost of living though).

Or, you may even like Spokane:

Spokane, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Yac; 04-09-2013 at 06:02 AM..

Old 04-07-2013, 05:08 PM

863 posts, read 2,080,445 times
Just a note about Anchorage: mid-winter is very dark, and summer is surprisingly rainy, though it varies a lot year to year. Wouldn't recommend it unless you're specifically attracted to Alaska. Higher pay doesn't make it worth it.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 PM

Thank you so much for the replies. I hadn't thought about the tri cities. Looking forward to learning more about them.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:39 PM

3 posts, read 7,846 times
Somebody suggested Portland as a "middle ground". I strongly disagree. Portland is very unlike either Anchorage or San Diego. It is more like a rainy version of Oakland and Berkeley. Especially its politics, which are not at all like SD or AK. If you like San Diego sun, and are politically or culturally conservative, you might prefer Eastern Oregon or WA--like someone above said, the Tri cities, or Bend OR (warning: pricey) or even Spokane. On the other hand, if you are politically progressive, secular, and don't mind awful traffic on freeways, welcome to Portland. It's a great place, other than 9 months of rain and very dark winters.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:39 PM

So exactly how awful is Portland traffic? As bad as LA traffic?

Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 AM

993 posts, read 1,769,382 times
Portland has traffic, but not anything near LA. Here's a link that rates metros across the country on traffic. Make sure your hit the Inrix Scorecard Country instead of the global it has selected by default.

INRIX National Traffic Scorecard

Old 04-08-2013, 01:54 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,834,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbrwr View Post
Thank you so much for the replies. I hadn't thought about the tri cities. Looking forward to learning more about them.
Check out the links it is a great area.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,272,945 times
anchorage climate is awful and depressing ;/

and San Diego > Portland

SD then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.