Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:04 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times

Advertisements

Baltimore. Plus, if you want to take a day trip to other cities(NYC, Philly, DC), there's no hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 03:48 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
I really think you should give Fort Collins a look IMO. If you prefer smaller cities like I do than it really has a lot to offer.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:09 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I don't know much about New Orleans except it isn't boring.

But really I don't like to deal with people who resort to sterotypes. Or who write off a entire city or region because they are too lazy to look into details. It makes me mad.

Quit poking me. Theres a N.O. forum if you want more info.
Wow. Rude.

I did do some research, and all of it indicates that New Orleans has a severe, serious problem with violent crime.

If your attitude is representative of NOLA, I certainly wouldn't want to live there. I get enough of attitudes like yours in Dallas as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
What would you consider a day's drive? 500 miles? More? Denver is about 800 miles - more than I would want to do in a day. New Orleans is 500 miles by comparison.
800 miles is too far. 500 is pushing it; New Orleans is really more than a day's comfortable drive for me because the roads between there and Houston are god-awful. I last drove that leg on I-10 in the late 1990s and it took 8 hours to get from New Orleans to Houston. The roads were atrocious and we barely got over 45mph at the fastest.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:19 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Well, 500 miles will certainly limit your options. Baton Rouge, Tulsa, OKC, Little Rock are all within that distance. Or maybe you'd prefer a college town like Fayetteville or Lubbock? They might be less family-oriented because of the university populations.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:00 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
For big (but not huge) southern cities with a lot going on, Nashville or New Orleans. NOLA is under eight hours away from Dallas, Nashville is under ten. Both have a ton of things to do, lots of culture and music. I find people in both cities to be quite friendly. New Orleans will obviously be hotter.

NOLA's overall violent crime rate is actually lower than Houston (although the worst crime is murder and New Orleans murder rate is very high).

Old 04-14-2013, 09:03 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Im sorry, but I cant imagine BigDGeek even remotely happy in New Orleans. Not a whole lot to do outdoors and its not going to help her social life for the people she wants to be around.

Stick with the Southwest.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:17 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Quote:
If your attitude is representative of NOLA, I certainly wouldn't want to live there.
Pretty unlikely you would encounter me in N.O. since I haven't been there for 15+ years. If you had read my comment:

Quote:
I don't know much about New Orleans
you might have figured that out. Also please re-read your original post. There is nothing mentioned about crime. I get that you don't want to live in NO. Just don't get offended that everyone can't read your mind.

Quote:
I get enough of attitudes like yours in Dallas as it is
I wonder if you are encountering attitudes because you are not paying attention to other people.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Well, 500 miles will certainly limit your options. Baton Rouge, Tulsa, OKC, Little Rock are all within that distance. Or maybe you'd prefer a college town like Fayetteville or Lubbock? They might be less family-oriented because of the university populations.
Little Rock has big crime problems too; I've been there before and it was nice enough though I think I might be kind of bored there. Ditto Baton Rouge for the boredom factor. I thought about Tulsa and OKC but people tell me OKC is ultra ultra Christian conservative (turnoff) and that Tulsa is like a mini-Dallas. I've thought about NWA (northwest Arkansas) but I need to see it for myself. Lubbock is a non-starter; I've been there and don't intend to ever go back. I don't hate it, but there's nothing there for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
For big (but not huge) southern cities with a lot going on, Nashville or New Orleans. NOLA is under eight hours away from Dallas, Nashville is under ten. Both have a ton of things to do, lots of culture and music. I find people in both cities to be quite friendly. New Orleans will obviously be hotter.

NOLA's overall violent crime rate is actually lower than Houston (although the worst crime is murder and New Orleans murder rate is very high).
What about Memphis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Im sorry, but I cant imagine BigDGeek even remotely happy in New Orleans. Not a whole lot to do outdoors and its not going to help her social life for the people she wants to be around.

Stick with the Southwest.
Thanks, but you don't know me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Pretty unlikely you would encounter me in N.O. since I haven't been there for 15+ years. If you had read my comment

*SNIP*

I wonder if you are encountering attitudes because you are not paying attention to other people.
In the interest of not wasting any more of my time or yours, I would greatly appreciate it if you kept further contributions to yourself.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:51 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
What about Memphis?
Memphis has a rich musical heritage and some cool history, but IMO it wouldn't be as nice a place to live. The economy there is weaker than the two other cities, and there isn't as much going on there as in Nashville or New Orleans. There are definitely some positives, but in general I didn't find the people as friendly as in NOLA or Nashville. Memphis also has a higher crime rate that NOLA or Nashville.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I am thinking Austin might be a fit. My impression is one of a sometime visitor who has spent time in the Austin forum, so it might not be completely accurate. Your housing budget may be a problem, as the most adult-oriented housing areas near downtown are also the most expensive. The Austin forum could steer you better than I can.

Remember that Google Fiber coming to Austin and you, working remotely in IT, could benefit directly from that.

In the San Antonio forum, we often tell visitors that San Antonio is more family-friendly than Austin and that Austin is the better place for young singles. Since you want a less family-oriented place, I can't in good conscience suggest San Antonio until you've ruled out Austin. San Antonio does have a fairly low violent crime rate. There's just a lot of property crime, with smash-and-grab vehicle burglaries being common in certain parts of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.