Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 07:29 PM

432 posts, read 610,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bird View Post
Philly! The weather is just like California with temps around 70 degrees and sunny. People are even nicer in Philly than all cities in California. Philly is like the real California. They should put Philly in California, and California would be a trememdous state.
Wait wtf? Philly is the friggin ICON of the damn eastcoast...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 03:05 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times
I've never been to southern California but I have a friend from there who claims that Lake St in Minneapolis could be dropped into one of the older parts of LA and nobody would notice the difference.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:43 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Columbus Ohio

...the sunbelt boomtown vibe. + progressive, young techy popupulation...reminds me more of Salt Lake, Sacramento, or Albuquerque.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:26 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
The port area of Fort Lauderdale looks a lot like Long Beach, CA

I could see Pittsburgh as a Pacific Northwest City.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:31 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Columbus Ohio

...the sunbelt boomtown vibe. + progressive, young techy popupulation...reminds me more of Salt Lake, Sacramento, or Albuquerque.
I really do agree with this. There's part of Columbus that feel this way. It seems there should be a beach not to far, too bad that's not that case

Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Denver for sure
No. We like to emphasize our differences with California. We can drive in the snow, passably, anyway, if not everyone very well. We celebrate winter here! We enjoy our four seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Austin, Las Vegas, and Phoenix all remind me of different parts of LA.
Minneapolis and Denver feel like they'd fit in well with Seattle and Portland in the Pacific Northwest.
Madison and Boulder feel like Berkeley.

Boston has a lot in common with San Francisco, though it in no way feels like a West Coast city.
I think your last sentence applies to your first paragraph, as well as some of the other comments about Boston, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Madison, Minneapolis, Austin, Denver, etc. (Trying to move east to west here, LOL!) For one thing, despite some of the nonsense you read here on CD, all cities have things in common. Sure, there are probably neighborhoods in suburban Denver that you could drop into the LA complex and not notice much difference, but still. . .

Old 05-08-2013, 10:38 AM

704 posts, read 1,792,686 times
I don't really understand the Denver thing. You can make just as good an argument that Denver feels like Dallas or Kansas City as you can about it feeling like something in California. In fact, I think if you make an actual comparison, rather than one based on how it feels, Denver probably is much more like Dallas or Kansas City than it is like Portland or San Francisco.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
I don't really understand the Denver thing. You can make just as good an argument that Denver feels like Dallas or Kansas City as you can about it feeling like something in California. In fact, I think if you make an actual comparison, rather than one based on how it feels, Denver probably is much more like Dallas or Kansas City than it is like Portland or San Francisco.
Never been to KC, been to Dallas; no, Denver's not like Dallas, either. Surprisingly, Denver is like. . . . Denver!

Re: any comparison of Denver to Portland (Denver's bigger) or SF, we celebrate our sunshine, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.