Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 09:03 AM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times

Advertisements

Hallmarks of DC to me are low-rise buidlings, low density (relative to the suburbs), developed heavy-rail transit system, plenty of older (19th century) residential architecture, wide avenues on an irregular layout, mix of upscale and poor neighborhoods (NW vs SE), and lots of monumental buildings, because of the federal government there.

Except for the last, that sounds like Brooklyn NY to me. There are high-rises downtown, but thy don't define the borough any more than the high-rises in Arington or Alexandria define DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 09:29 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Philadelphia metro is very similar to D.C. metro
Yeah...just without the wealth, different ethnic groups and more violence.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:35 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

not sure without wealth or even violence on the Metro level or even ethnic groups

Old 05-14-2013, 10:28 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
The cities in America that come closest to being like DC are Philly, NYC and Boston.

But DC is different from them in being low-mid rise and have wider streets.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:29 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I will concede that the DC area is definitely more diverse, and crime levels are marginally better in the DC area. For wealth, you must account for differences in cost-of-living; higher salaries in the DC area are definitely eaten up by much higher housing costs.

Adjusted Metro Incomes
The Cities Where A Paycheck Stretches The Furthest | Newgeography.com

Both areas aren't exactly Mayberry:

Metro Crime
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2012...teRankings.pdf

Old 05-14-2013, 12:41 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee;295608th
Camden, Wilmington, Chester, and Trenton are all ghetto. Like wise PG county MD has a high crime rate to be the suburbs.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:41 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,611 times
Stlousian D.C. is over 50% black there is not too many NE cities like that(nickname chocolate city), D.C. doesn't have an industrial past like other NE cities, doesn't have an ethnic white population, its architecture is similar to RVA, and besides maybe Alexandia its suburbs resembles ATLs. I agree that today D.C. is not your sterotypical version of the south but i dont think its a true NE city either Mid Atlantic will have to do i guess. And why do you seem so angry lol

Old 05-14-2013, 04:43 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
The DC metro area is mix of west coast (California type demographics in a lot of the suburbs and the car club culture, esp amongst Asians), the south (Atlanta suburbs = PG county MD), areas like Takoma Park and older parts of the MD suburbs look like Philly suburbs, parts of DC could pass for Baltimore and Philly, Back Bay in Boston looks like a DC neighborhood, some parts of DC look country, like small town Mayberry.... The DC area is unigue it has aspects of the entire country.
I think in bold is a pretty big reach.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:49 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Stlousian D.C. is over 50% black there is not too many NE cities like that(nickname chocolate city), D.C. doesn't have an industrial past like other NE cities, doesn't have an ethnic white population, its architecture is similar to RVA, and besides maybe Alexandia its suburbs resembles ATLs. I agree that today D.C. is not your sterotypical version of the south but i dont think its a true NE city either Mid Atlantic will have to do i guess. And why do you seem so angry lol

Culturally and linguistically DC is more of a Northeastern city before it is a Southern one. It's more tied to Baltimore and Philadelphia than it is to Richmond. That is beyond debate. All the other characteristics you mention are Southern overtones. And so what if DC doesn't have an ethnic white population? It's an international city. And many cities that aren't southern are over 50% black...Detroit to name one. So in fact, it's not really a Southern chacteristic. And you've obviously decided you're arrogant enough that you know how I think and feel. You don't. I'm not angry. I'm defensive, and the reason I'm defensive is because I saw you have a debate similar to this one with another user. I'm not interested in fighting a world war. YOu wanna disagree? Fine. Go ahead. Not my problem. But don't go forcing your views on people who disagree. You're wasting your time with me. And please stop the provocative behavior. You're either an adult or kid. I don't argue with kids.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:50 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think in bold is a pretty big reach.
I don't find it to be that big of a reach actually. There are parts of NOVA and Montgomery County that I find to be Californiaish. Definitely a lot of Asians. Definitely a lot of Central Americans. It just doesn't have those groups in the same numbers and proportions as SoCal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.