Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 4,232 times

Advertisements

I am 30 years old and trying to do something new with my life. Right now, I'm located in South Carolina but am interested in moving to New York City one day. Originally, I'm from New Jersey but I ended up moving with my parents here while starting up a new business which isn't going so well.

I would already move out already, except I don't have too much money and I have a mild form of social anxiety disorder.

What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 12:04 PM

390 posts, read 942,883 times
Hello. I can see why you're interested in moving to NYC, it certainly has a lot to offer. However, my advice would be to get a job in NYC first or save up a lot of money before you move. As nice as NYC is, it can be very unforgiving for someone just starting out...it's extremely expensive and competition for apartments is fierce. You can look on Craigslist for someone seeking a roommate. It's also very crowded (on the subways, on the streets and on the sidewalks) which would be a huge change from South Carolina.

Like the old saying, if you can make it there you can make it anywhere.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:29 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,089,164 times
Everyone loves to beat the "NYC (or other major Northeast city) is so expensive and you needs thousands of dollars to move there" drum but the reality is that's often where the jobs are and tens of thousands of people successfully move there every year, many from places other than the comforts of suburban America and with very little in the way of money/possessions. The point is if you want something bad enough you more than likely will find a way to make it work and remember most you ask will continue to provide the drum beat of negativity previously mentioned.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:55 AM

542 posts, read 1,685,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Everyone loves to beat the "NYC (or other major Northeast city) is so expensive and you needs thousands of dollars to move there" drum but the reality is that's often where the jobs are and tens of thousands of people successfully move there every year, many from places other than the comforts of suburban America and with very little in the way of money/possessions. The point is if you want something bad enough you more than likely will find a way to make it work and remember most you ask will continue to provide the drum beat of negativity previously mentioned.
Let's be honest here - moving to NYC with no job and with very little money is difficult...especially for someone just starting out. I've lived in NYC for 10 years and a decent apartment will run anywhere from $1500 to $2000 per month in rent. While it's important to follow one's dreams, it's also important not to end up homeless.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:08 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,945,652 times
Go West, young man! I went through a failed business, couldn't stand my job, and was stuck in NC for years. When I reinvented myself, I headed to Denver. A job would be helpful, of course, but I moved out without one. Turns out many, many other people out here have done the same thing (which is also a good conversation piece to help with your social anxiety. Plus, people here are very friendly and will talk to you). Anyway, a studio or 1BR in the middle of town (Cap Hill comes to mind) is a great place to start. They're getting more expensive, but it can be done. What kind of hobbies are you into?

Old 06-13-2013, 05:19 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,089,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Let's be honest here - moving to NYC with no job and with very little money is difficult...especially for someone just starting out. I've lived in NYC for 10 years and a decent apartment will run anywhere from $1500 to $2000 per month in rent. While it's important to follow one's dreams, it's also important not to end up homeless.
I lived in NYC, DC and Philly for 20+ years. Moving anywhere without a job and little money is difficult and who in their right mind moves to a city with little money and tries to rent alone??? One would look typically to share an apartment to avoid massive deposits, besides of course the whole rental amount. One can find numerous roommate opportunities in decent areas of NYC (Morningside Heights, parts of Queens or Brooklyn) for around $700 a month. Lastly one can end up homeless anywhere in the US and is not an NYC exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.