Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Dude, it's not even close. Georgia long ago eclipsed NC.

"Georgia-based productions generated $3.1 billion for the state economy in fiscal 2012, up 29 percent from the year before, according to the Georgia Film, Music & Digital Entertainment Office. That puts the state well ahead of regional competitors such as Louisiana ($717 million for calendar 2012) and North Carolina ($278 million for calendar 2012), according to those film offices’ websites."

“Atlanta is the new Hollywood”: Influx of film and TV production boosts economy, attracts actors | ArtsATL

There are several major motion picture and television studios already operating in Georgia with several more ---- including one huge one Pinewood Studios -- under construction.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...r-georgia.html

It is time Atlanta and Georgia started getting recognition for its meteoric rise in the entertainment business. It is truly a remarkable story. Thousands of jobs and billions of dollars are flowing into Georgia through film and TV production now. California is hurting.

PS -- The Humger Games sequel was filmed in Atlanta and rumors are going around that the Avatar sequel will be shot in Georgia as well.

woopie di do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 10:33 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Quote:
Notice how nobody from New York, California or Georgia -- the three biggest movie-producing states in the country -- bother to weigh-in. Seems rather pointless.
Is Georgia really on the same level and NY and CA?

Old 07-05-2013, 10:34 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Hoosiers.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:16 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Is Georgia really on the same level and NY and CA?
No, not even close, but it is pretty much the undisputed "third" US film location, and it continues to grow as such at a rapid rate. I moved to the Atlanta area in 2005 and have watched it get bigger and bigger every year I've been here. If you notice, not only are movies being filmed in Georgia, but movies are actually being set in Atlanta as well -- usually in a very generic Any-yuppie Town, USA kind of way.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:28 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
No, not even close, but it is pretty much the undisputed "third" US film location, and it continues to grow as such at a rapid rate. I moved to the Atlanta area in 2005 and have watched it get bigger and bigger every year I've been here. If you notice, not only are movies being filmed in Georgia, but movies are actually being set in Atlanta as well -- usually in a very generic Any-yuppie Town, USA kind of way.
^^^ THIS is what I was saying. And dozens of TV series are filmed in Atlanta as well, including the BIGGEST series in the history of cable television -- THE WALKING DEAD.

It seems rather ironic, with all the complaints on CD about how often Atlanta gets mentioned in the media and is featured on reality TV shows, that people haven't made this connection yet. There's still a bias I suppose.

Though I hate the saying with all my being, Atlanta really is the "new Hollywood" or rather, the undisputed "Hollywood of the South."

Old 07-06-2013, 09:41 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
^^^ THIS is what I was saying. And dozens of TV series are filmed in Atlanta as well, including the BIGGEST series in the history of cable television -- THE WALKING DEAD.

It seems rather ironic, with all the complaints on CD about how often Atlanta gets mentioned in the media and is featured on reality TV shows, that people haven't made this connection yet. There's still a bias I suppose.

Though I hate the saying with all my being, Atlanta really is the "new Hollywood" or rather, the undisputed "Hollywood of the South."
Agreed --- though I'm not sure I would have noticed it if I weren't living in this area. For those who are unaware of this, this isn't just some local booster-ism. The film industry has been laying down deep roots in Georgia for awhile now. This isn't just a one-off film here and there. They're building studios; recruiting talent; scouting out local areas to film (Georgia has a good diversity of places to film -- urban, suburban, rural, mountains, coastline, etc.); etc. Atlanta will never come close to eclipsing Hollywood, but it is rapidly establishing itself as an alternative to Hollywood for a place to film in a way no other city is doing.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:52 AM

830 posts, read 1,728,721 times
Default Chicago

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Plenty of others too
Adventures in Babysitting, The Fugitive
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Pretty in Pink
Home Alone

Old 07-06-2013, 11:29 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Quote:
Dude, it's not even close. Georgia long ago eclipsed NC.

"Georgia-based productions generated $3.1 billion for the state economy in fiscal 2012, up 29 percent from the year before, according to the Georgia Film, Music & Digital Entertainment Office. That puts the state well ahead of regional competitors such as Louisiana ($717 million for calendar 2012) and North Carolina ($278 million for calendar 2012), according to those film offices’ websites."

“Atlanta is the new Hollywood”: Influx of film and TV production boosts economy, attracts actors | ArtsATL

There are several major motion picture and television studios already operating in Georgia with several more ---- including one huge one Pinewood Studios -- under construction.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...r-georgia.html

It is time Atlanta and Georgia started getting recognition for its meteoric rise in the entertainment business. It is truly a remarkable story. Thousands of jobs and billions of dollars are flowing into Georgia through film and TV production now. California is hurting.

PS -- The Humger Games sequel was filmed in Atlanta and rumors are going around that the Avatar sequel will be shot in Georgia as well.
Eh, slow down. Los Angeles may not have the stranglehold on the entertainment industry it once did, but The Industry pumped $47 billion into the local economy last year, and is on pace to better that this year. On location filming is up across the board:

LA Times

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 07-06-2013 at 11:41 AM..

Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 AM

700 posts, read 637,960 times
I like thrillers so for Louisiana it would be...

Dead Man Walking
The Client
Double Jeopardy
The Pelican Brief
Skeleton Key
Runaway Jury

Not technically a thriller...

Interview With the Vampire
Django Unchained
Steel Magnolias

Upcoming movies being filmed in Louisiana that I look forward to...

Jurassic Park IV
Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes
12 Years A Slave
2 Guns
Black And White

Old 07-06-2013, 11:43 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Goonies and Animal House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.