Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:49 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
18Montclair, I replied to the thread starter, not you.
oh...oops

Old 11-07-2007, 09:49 AM

884 posts, read 1,033,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Those are gorgeous pictures.

What that area needs is a celebrity to move there and throw parties during the summer...like the hamptons. Or maybe a celebrity golf tournament like Pebble Beach or an annual charity event.

I think Oprah, being the mega-star that she is, would be perfect. But she's always in Santa Barbara or Maui it seems in her off time.

Or how about a Chicago Socialite...that city is loaded with elite people, all they have to do is call their friends on the coast and invite them to some small town on the lake somewhere and the press will follow.

Not that you really want attention, but getting the word out isnt a bad thing. It creates a buzz.
Are you serious? Most people I know enjoy not having the whole celeb B.S. around the Midwest. That is why Midwesterners are considered more "down to earth". I think we understand the reality of our lives and live them the way we want to. We don't try to compete to live and look the way celebrities do until we are broke. (not pointing any fingers towards Californians)

Old 11-07-2007, 10:02 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Question for midwesterners-- when you talk about scraping the ice from your car-- do you keep your car in a garage at night? If not, why not?

Old 11-07-2007, 10:02 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
(not pointing any fingers towards Californians)
Or NY, or AZ, or Vegas, or FL, or....

Old 11-07-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Question for midwesterners-- when you talk about scraping the ice from your car-- do you keep your car in a garage at night? If not, why not?
I dont have a garage, so I have to scrape my windows if needed. Most of the time Ill come out, start up the car, turn on the defrosters and then go back in and brush my teeth, etc. By the time I come back outside, the car is warm and any ice is melted. I simply reach down and hit the wiper stalk for a single swipe and BAM! Im on the road in a warm and iceless car. The only time you really need to scrape ice off is from a rare ice storm (which happens maybe once a year) or if melted snow has frozen and made the ice too thick for the wipers to clear off. If people seriously move away because they dislike scraping windows every so often, then theyre just lazy, simple as that. God forbid you have to take 2 minutes out of your day to scrape windows, that cuts into thier Starbucks time!!!

Old 11-07-2007, 10:09 AM

884 posts, read 1,033,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Are you implying that everyone in the Midwest can afford or has the room for a garage?

Old 11-07-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Are you implying that everyone in the Midwest can afford or has the room for a garage?
Well, most definitely the vast majority of homes here have garages, but the house I had was a log cabin and didnt have a garage. Ive lived in apartments that offered garages, but theyre not worth the extra $150 a month, theyre tiny. Anyways, most of the homes here have garages.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:19 AM

285 posts, read 1,067,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ
There are very few liberal/progressive people in the heartland with again the exception of the big cities.
Thanks for pointing out another reason why I like living here. I don't mind being around liberals, but I don't want to be surrounded by the type that think anyone with differentiating views is "regressive," stupid, bigoted, etc. I'm not changing my beliefs to be "progressive." Great use of a buzzword though.

Last edited by Juice13610; 11-07-2007 at 10:29 AM..

Old 11-07-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Are you serious? Most people I know enjoy not having the whole celeb B.S. around the Midwest. That is why Midwesterners are considered more "down to earth". I think we understand the reality of our lives and live them the way we want to. We don't try to compete to live and look the way celebrities do until we are broke. (not pointing any fingers towards Californians)
Well,
I only make that suggestion because people are unaware of the natural wonder and beauty that your region truly has. Perhaps if they were made aware through the activities of the rich and famous, it might change their perception of the area.

A perception that has struck a nerve with many Midwesterners, otherwise we wouldnt be having this discussion.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice13610 View Post
Thanks for pointing out another reason why I like living here. 1 liberal is 1 liberal too many. I'm not changing my beliefs to be "progressive." Great use of a buzzword though.
yeah,
being regressive is so much better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.