Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 10:56 PM

167 posts, read 377,906 times

Advertisements

I'm at university right now and I'm hoping to graduate in May 2014. After I graduate I am not going straight into graduate school for psychology so I want to work first to get some experience and save up for graduate school. I'm hoping to get into Teach For America but if that doesn't work, I want to find work teaching high school students or mental health counseling.

I don't think I want to live in my current state (Michigan) as there isn't much to do here and I want to explore the country, even though I am quite picky about where I want to live. A few things about me that might give you a sense of what I'm looking for regarding a new place to live:

Climate-wise:
I love snow. I lived in Canada for a long time so I'm used to a lot of it and Michigan gets quite a bit.
I hate too much sun and the heat.
I don't like rain, especially downpour.
I love fall foliage and cottage like scenery.

Socially:
I'm liberal.
I'm not religious at all.
I'm very friendly but also reserved.

Economically:
I like to spend wisely.
I like to buy cheap groceries.
I would want to share an apartment with someone.
I buy expensive items very rarely.

Could someone suggest what states in the US are ideal for me?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 11:59 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, Austin, Minneapolis, or Denver. State wise I would translate that to Oregon, Washington, California, Massachusetts, Texas, Minnesota, or Colorado.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:37 AM

993 posts, read 1,767,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, Austin, Minneapolis, or Denver. State wise I would translate that to Oregon, Washington, California, Massachusetts, Texas, Minnesota, or Colorado.
Scratch Austin off and I'd say that's a perfect list

Old 07-05-2013, 12:50 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
If OP doesn't like rain he/she won't like "Portland, Seattle, San Francisco".

I'd add Duluth to the MN options. What about northern NH, VT, ME?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:18 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Why on earth would anyone recommend Portland or Seattle to someone who says they hate rain and love snow? It's true these cities don't often get heavy downpours but we do get steady amount of rain a good deal of the time and it snows very little if at all. I think the same could be said for San Francisco. Do they even get snow?

Not to mention that the OP's profession would be a very difficult one in which to find work in Portland. I have known people in this field with years of experience who have given up and relocated to different cities because there is an oversaturation of this type of profession.

The point is, the OP can find all s/he is looking for I am sure in one city. Why settle or compromise unless there is something special about one that doesn't meet all of the criteria?

Going along with the wants of the OP, I would suggest Minneapolis. I think that sounds like a city that meets items on the list. Or a suburb of that city. Or its twin city of ST Paul.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:40 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
I wonder if people read posts anymore given how everyone automatically jumps to Portland, Seattle and Austin on pretty much every relocation question seemingly. *head scratch*

Given the desire for liberal, snowy locales with not a lot of rain or heat/humidity, has decent fall foliage and cottage-like scenery it would seem states like Vermont (Burlington, Montpelier, Brattleboro, Middlebury), Massachusetts (Northampton, Amherst, North Adams) and New York (Ithaca, Oneonta) would be more appropriate fits.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:31 AM

93,388 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I wonder if people read posts anymore given how everyone automatically jumps to Portland, Seattle and Austin on pretty much every relocation question seemingly. *head scratch*

Given the desire for liberal, snowy locales with not a lot of rain or heat/humidity, has decent fall foliage and cottage-like scenery it would seem states like Vermont (Burlington, Montpelier, Brattleboro, Middlebury), Massachusetts (Northampton, Amherst, North Adams) and New York (Ithaca, Oneonta) would be more appropriate fits.
^This or even some of the bigger cities and other college towns in the Interior Northeast/Northern New England and even into parts of WV, Western MD and Western VA. You can get quite a bit of rain at times here as well, but everything else fits. Plattsburgh NY may be a sleeper due to its proximity to Montreal and Burlington VT, the Adirondacks and is on Lake Champlain.

You could do something like the Westcott neighborhood(south of East Genesee Street) on Syracuse's East Side near Syracuse University. It is known for its liberal hippy, somewhat eclectic feel and welcoming of diversity. There are a few grocery stores not too far away and there is a co-op market in the neighborhood. You may be able to room with someone due some students(undergrad and grad) renting in or close to the neighborhood. Plenty of snow, great fall foliage, down to earth people, overall cost of living is around the national average and fits most of the criteria. Here is information on the neighborhood: Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Westcott

UNPA - University Neighborhood Preservation Association

Westcott Street Cultural Fair

Thornden Park Association - Syracuse NY

City of Syracuse - Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs

Syracuse Real Food Co-op

The Westcott Theater

Recess Coffee House & Roastery | Syracuse, NY
Mexican Restaurants Syracuse | Restaurants in Syracuse | Mexican Food Syracuse | Alto Cinco
Dorian's Gourmet Pizza and Deli
metroloungeandsushibar.com | Bistro Dining & Live Music
Asahi Sushi Syracuse | Asian, Sushi, Dinner | Order Online | 508 Westcott St.
Mom's Diner | The NewsHouse | Syracuse University and Community News - S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications
http://m.yelp.com/biz/las-delicias-syracuse
Mello Velo Bicycle Shop | Syracuse, NY
Beer Belly Deli & Pub
https://m.facebook.com/pages/Munjeds...641760600&_rdr
http://m.yelp.com/biz/taps-bar-and-restaurant-syracuse

Old 07-05-2013, 09:13 AM

107 posts, read 113,326 times
I think the Blue States around the Great Lakes would work best for you.

The Mountain Region doesn't have a fall season. It goes from green to dead. As well any area well within the continent is going to be hot in the summer and have the most days of summer sun.
The more humid the area the more summer rain you'll experience.
Anywhere in the South from Arizona to Georgia I'm sure will not be what your going for.

I would stick to MN, IA, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH and of these states I would concentrate on finding a place with the least rain, and lowest cost of living

Old 07-05-2013, 05:17 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
No taxes on groceries in Iowa!

On the other hand, OP, since you live in MI and are basically asking for a similar physical and social climate, why don't you instead take a couple of years to experience something completely different! Give the desert SW a try, or Miami, or the mountain regions of New Mexico or Idaho. Or go live in NYC or LA for a year or two, terrible as they are.

Enjoy your youth and take the time to explore the differences in America. The move you make this time doesn't have to be permanent. Have fun.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

It would appear that way. It kinda bugs me too because I live in Portland and while it is a really nice city, it certainly does not have all of the attributes everyone is seeking. No city can. It is not the answer to the everyone's ideal place to live.

Those cities and the are the just the opposite of what the OP is looking for when you break down his criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.