Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You live on N or S side
North 28 45.90%
South 33 54.10%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 03:11 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,893,604 times

Advertisements

In Orlando there is good in every side, but the wealth on the north side is more established.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 04:06 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Um, I live in the East side of my metro

Old 07-06-2013, 05:37 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
In Charlotte, the South side is where it's at. The north side is pretty run down and ghetto until you get up into the suburban areas like Huntersville and Mooresville.
Historically, the NoDa area was referred to as north Charlotte and it's one of the trendiest parts of town. And University City is in northeastern Charlotte which is probably the largest, most integrated middle-class part of town. North of Uptown is more gritty and industrial than anything else, really. It's the east and west sides of town that are seen as less desirable; most of the south side is seen as desirable.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:25 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Atlanta and Dallas are both cities that definitely have the nicer side of town on the Northside. Houston to some extent as well. Besides Charlotte, the other major southern city I can think of where the southern reaches of the metro is "the place to be" would be Birmingham.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:02 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
In DC proper, the southeastern part is definitely the hood, but the suburbs to the south--NoVa--probably constitute the most affluent part of the whole metro.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:41 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
In Charlotte, the South side is where it's at. The north side is pretty run down and ghetto until you get up into the suburban areas like Huntersville and Mooresville.

Oklahoma City, where I live now, it's all on the north side. The south side is one of the most ghetto places I've ever seen. Here is a typical thoroughfare in South OKC.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=oklah...80.64,,0,11.25
That looks pretty typical of any older, less-developed area of a Southern or Midwestern town. It doesn't look that bad at all.

I think people on City Data are way too quick to write a place off as "ghetto". That term seems to be applied to any neighborhood that isn't overwhelmingly white and manicured.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Historically, the NoDa area was referred to as north Charlotte and it's one of the trendiest parts of town. And University City is in northeastern Charlotte which is probably the largest, most integrated middle-class part of town. North of Uptown is more gritty and industrial than anything else, really. It's the east and west sides of town that are seen as less desirable; most of the south side is seen as desirable.
Yeah when I talk about North Charlotte, I am thinking of the area off Beatties Ford or Freedom Drive. That is really more (north)west Charlotte than north.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:55 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Atlanta and Dallas are both cities that definitely have the nicer side of town on the Northside. Houston to some extent as well. Besides Charlotte, the other major southern city I can think of where the southern reaches of the metro is "the place to be" would be Birmingham.
Well, Houston's premier areas are concentrated on the west side. The east side is the industrial part of town and is considered to be least desirable. The northern and southern halves are a mix of great and not-so-great, with the northeast side being the most undeveloped part of town.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Atlanta and Dallas are both cities that definitely have the nicer side of town on the Northside. Houston to some extent as well.
Actually it has been on the Westside for Houston. The Northside is currently booming but historically is the least populated part of town consisting mostly of farms and ranches and patches of (now old) subdivisions.

The southeast side was booming during and after World War 2 due to the location between Houston and Galveston. Then the Southwest side became the place to be in the 60s-90s. The southern half of Houston is the most populated though with Southwest Houston being the densest part of Texas!

Old 07-06-2013, 10:05 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Yeah when I talk about North Charlotte, I am thinking of the area off Beatties Ford or Freedom Drive. That is really more (north)west Charlotte than north.
I think of those areas as West Charlotte. North Charlotte would be more toward the University. Still not the best side though. Hidden Valley is in that direction. Definitely not the best area.

I wonder which cities were used in this article. I never click into the websites for security purposes.

I have always thought of the south side of most towns or cities as the best side but really have not thought about it too much. Could the south side be the best in the South and the north side be the best in the North? So where are most airports in these cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.