Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:02 PM

24 posts, read 52,774 times

Advertisements

Moving to Pueblo from Burlington Vt and looking for quickest route. Husband is somewhat opposed to 70 through St. Louis, just because of the reputation, where as I am more concerned about I 80 near Chicago and getting off on the wrong exit.

I'm not too concerned about tolls, though it is next to impossible to figure out how much each state will cost in tolls. We have an E-Z Pass.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 02:23 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
I-80 goes through much less urban congestion than I-70 and would recommend that route. The turnoff in Chicago is pretty hard to miss FYI.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I-80 goes through much less urban congestion than I-70 and would recommend that route. The turnoff in Chicago is pretty hard to miss FYI.
Agreed. Why would you get off in Chicago unless you were going to spend the night or get something to eat? Just stay on the road. It actually goes through the southern suburbs; it's not too bad except at rush hour. Yes, I've driven it.

What I would do, and have done (well, not all the way to Pueblo), is this:

I-90 from wherever you get on it west, becomes 80/90 in Ohio somewhere, then I-80 in Hammond, IN to I-76 near Ogallala, Nebraska. I-76 west to I-25 in Denver, I-25 south to Pueblo. You will avoid St. Louis and Kansas City this way, cross the Mississippi at the Quad Cities in Ill/Iowa.

What are you guys going to be doing in Pueblo?

Old 04-11-2014, 07:33 AM

Katiana: We are moving out there for a change of scenery. Just sick of Vermont and Pueblo has some good job opportunities as well as a cheaper cost of living.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:30 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,986 times
Not sure why 70 through St. Louis has a reputation, unless you're thinking of the Griswolds getting lost scene in 'Vacation.' It's interstate, and there are plenty of places to stop for gas/food/shelter without needing to go into St. Louis [which on the whole is a fairly nice city, actually].

In any case, I'd say both routes will be about equidistant assuming no construction and not getting caught in rush in any of the major metros. Both of those routes have stretches that are passably charming, but on the whole I don't think either is particularly attractive.

In winter I'd tend to opt for 70, and in the heart of summer I'd tend to opt for 80. Only a few degrees difference, but can mean the difference between having to run the A/C [Jul-Aug] or be concerned with ice [Dec-Mar].

Old 04-11-2014, 01:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
I've done both. I-80 is much easier, has higher speed limits in Iowa and Nebraksa than I-70 has in Missouri and Kansas, and I-80 has much better services. I-80 is the route of the old Oregon trail across Nebraska, then later US Highway 40. They've been gouging tourists in these towns for >100 years. I-70, OTOH, was carved out of Kansas farm country. (Not that I-80 doesn't go through farmland as well, of course.) It sometimes takes a long time to even find a restaurant in KS.

OP, I hope you have some sort of job plan for Pueblo. It's not the place I'd go w/o a job.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:59 AM

I actually did prelim testing for a large call center there, as well as almost a guaranteed job at a call center in Colorado Springs. I have been submitting my resume to any new jobs weekly, so I think I will be OK.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:49 PM

10,754 posts, read 23,836,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starryskye80 View Post
Katiana: We are moving out there for a change of scenery. Just sick of Vermont and Pueblo has some good job opportunities as well as a cheaper cost of living.
Pueblo starts to feel a bit like New Mexico as the landscape starts transitioning into high desert in that area. We love our green chiles out here! In New Mexico they top a lot of food with roasted green chile peppers or red chile sauce. Pueblo has a green chile festival in September and it also has the Colorado state fair.
Loaf 'N Jug Chile & Frijoles Festival in Pueblo, Colorado - An annual festival of food, fun and chile peppers in Pueblo, Colorado

Though I do wonder of all cities in Colorado, what made you land on Pueblo? I means it's ok, definitely an improving downtown though it seems down on its luck by appearances. Can't miss the giant steel mill when driving past it on I-25.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:38 PM

I love the desert, which drew me to Pueblo. I also wanted a smallish city that was close to larger cities. When I was looking to purchase our home, I looked in Colorado Springs and Canon City, but the opportunity came up in Pueblo.

I cannot wait to get out there. Leaving in a few weeks!

Old 04-17-2014, 06:22 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,677,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Not sure why 70 through St. Louis has a reputation, unless you're thinking of the Griswolds getting lost scene in 'Vacation.' It's interstate, and there are plenty of places to stop for gas/food/shelter without needing to go into St. Louis [which on the whole is a fairly nice city, actually].

In any case, I'd say both routes will be about equidistant assuming no construction and not getting caught in rush in any of the major metros. Both of those routes have stretches that are passably charming, but on the whole I don't think either is particularly attractive.

In winter I'd tend to opt for 70, and in the heart of summer I'd tend to opt for 80. Only a few degrees difference, but can mean the difference between having to run the A/C [Jul-Aug] or be concerned with ice [Dec-Mar].
Lol, was wondering the same thing... Seriously OP, what reputation are you referring to exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.