Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 12:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Considering they are still our #1 trading partner, this is flat out false and dead wrong. Also go to the Peace Arch crossing on I-5 on the WA/BC border on a Friday afternoon and then tell me how useless US/Canadian Interstate highway border crossings are.
Drive I-75 between Soo and Mackinac, and come back and report. How many lanes wide does a road have to be, to accommodate traffic that all stops for 10 or 20 or 30 minutes? If it were only a two lane road, everyone would just stop and wait in a different place, but still get form A to B in the same time.

How many cars actually cross the border per minute? You only need enough traffic lanes to accommodate that many cars per minute, which is probably one traffic lane. For international trading and commerce, there is probably only a few trucks an hour going through. How many lanes do they need?

How much time to customs officers stand there waiting with nothing to do, until the vehicles can get through the traffic jam and arrive at the customhouse?

How long has it been since you decided not to take a leisurely Sunday drive across the Canadian border, because there was too much traffic on the road 5 miles from the border, and you wished there were more lanes?

Last edited by jtur88; 08-10-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 12:57 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I-97 seems pretty stupid.
Say that after going to BWI or Baltimore on MD RTE 2.

I-97 was originally to be part of an abortive Outer Beltway during the Schafer administration. The Beltway wasn't built but sections of it were, I-97 being one such along with RTE 301 in Prince George's and lower Anne Arundel receiving upgrades.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:10 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Interstate 69 in Texas is much needed. Its replacing the outdated Highway 59.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Interstate 69 in Texas is much needed. Its replacing the outdated Highway 59.
I wouldn't be able to get to Texarkana any faster or easier on I-69 than I do on US-59. It's 70-75 mph all the way. If it doesn't translate into better travel conditions, why spend the money to build a hundred new overpasses?

I-69 is dead, it will never exist, and it is not needed.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:38 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Drive I-75 between Soo and Mackinac, and come back and report. How many lanes wide does a road have to be, to accommodate traffic that all stops for 10 or 20 or 30 minutes? If it were only a two lane road, everyone would just stop and wait in a different place, but still get form A to B in the same time.

How many cars actually cross the border per minute? You only need enough traffic lanes to accommodate that many cars per minute, which is probably one traffic lane. For international trading and commerce, there is probably only a few trucks an hour going through. How many lanes do they need?

How much time to customs officers stand there waiting with nothing to do, until the vehicles can get through the traffic jam and arrive at the customhouse?

How long has it been since you decided not to take a leisurely Sunday drive across the Canadian border, because there was too much traffic on the road 5 miles from the border, and you wished there were more lanes?
Well then you should have just pointed only that one specifically instead of this completely absurd statement.

Quote:
All interstates to the Canadian border are now pretty useless, since nobody is willing to endure the ordeal of trying to cross the border.
There are many US interstates that get up to the Canadian border heading to important Canadian cities like Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver along with Windsor/Detroit with a lot of commerce moving across the border. You can't just use one area of small cities in a remote area of Northern Michigan/Ontario as a most poignant example of all Canadian border crossings, that's just ludicrous.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-10-2013 at 05:50 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 04:40 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,062 times
Quote:

This is silly. Comparing I-75 to Sault Ste. Marie with I-5 to Vancouver is silly. Not an apples to apples comparison. If you think I-5 is not needed to the border, you are nuts. People who regularly cross the border get enhanced licenses or use the Nexus lanes. I-5 at Blaine is so busy, there are two crossings. Getting into Canada can be pretty quick most of the time. Its the reverse that's the bigger pain in the rear.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:43 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,062 times
Quote:

I-69 is signed in places. It is alive and needed throughout much of its proposed corridor.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:52 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be able to get to Texarkana any faster or easier on I-69 than I do on US-59. It's 70-75 mph all the way. If it doesn't translate into better travel conditions, why spend the money to build a hundred new overpasses?

I 69 is definitely not dead. They are building it now. In fact, it is alive in Texas as the all the us 59 in the Houston area signs have changed to I 69. I've also seen them south of Memphis as well.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,435 times
I-22, when complete, will link Birmingham to Memphis. If you look at a pre-22 map, you can tell that the interstate "grid" has a noticeable void there. I'm appreciative, if only because it has cut hours off of our annual Thanksgiving pilgrimage to Little Rock.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:34 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
I-22, when complete, will link Birmingham to Memphis. If you look at a pre-22 map, you can tell that the interstate "grid" has a noticeable void there. I'm appreciative, if only because it has cut hours off of our annual Thanksgiving pilgrimage to Little Rock.
Interesting! I recall driving from Atlanta to Memphis a few years ago. IIRC, we took I 20 to Birmingham, then all highway after that. That is the most direct route. An I 22 would be dynamite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.