Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:37 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,476 times

Advertisements

I made this post a little while ago in the Chicago thread that gives a broad view of the culture in the great Lakes

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...but-not-6.html

But more specific to that area Escanaba is a typical mid west town of 16000 the economy driven by a paper mill. As you move up US 41 about 10 miles along the Lake you get to Gladstone which is smaller 3500 and I think more quaint and pretty with a huge bluff that overlooks the Lake but doesnt have the shopping that Escanaba does. Another 10 miles and you are at the top of Little Bay de Noc in Rapid River which is an even smaller town maybe 1500 with 3 or 4 river deltas emptying into Lake Michigan. There is alot of winter fun in this area with groomed X country trails near by snow mobile trails lots of state land for hunting and great acess to the lake. If you continue on 41 just outside of RR there will be a couple of county roads that will bring you out to Stonington Peninsula which is a beautiful area with thick forest, shoreline on the east with Little Bay de Noc and on the west with Big Bay De Noc. Alot of really nice homes built out there either on the water or maybe with a 40 or 80 of timber depending on what ya like

This is really a very remote area of the country but seeing your coming from Montana that should be something you are used to or prefer. The summers on the lake whether swimming, fishing, camping, boating are beautiful. The long winters are filled with hunting season, snow mobiling, ice fishing, the UP 200 dog sled race, skiing with a small downhill right in Gstone or like I mentioned earlier X country. You can also find a pretty hard charging party element in these towns because alot of people go to the UP for hunting fishing snomobiling and on these vacations people like to hit the bars and have a good time. The locals gladly participate in kind.

And it is an absolutely beautiful forest which is what I miss the most. Being able to go for a drive through a Natl or state forest and see bear, deer, wolves, fox, and im damned sure i once spotted a mountain Lion up Forest Hwy 13 in the Hiawatha Natl forest. The entire UP changes from east to west and the variation is great and always keeps it interesting. Check out Hemingways short story The Big two Hearted which is about a place near RR called the Seney wildlife refuge. He used to go trout fishing up there and wrote that story which all Yoopers are very proud of. But if you look for the Big Two Hearted you will find it in the eastern UP. The place he was writing about was in the refuge but the name of the river was the Fox and he didnt think that was a good Title for his story and he knew about the Big Two Hearted at the other end of the UP and used that name

There are a few major tourist attractions in the UP, Pictured Rocks, Soo Locks, Taquemenon Falls, a few defunct mines, Fayette. I think the area has alot more to offer if a person can actually put up with the winters and live there. The one major problem for most folk is the economy and there arent alot of good paying jobs so if you husband is already working then you got it made. Public schools are really good and real estate is reasonable whether you want a 100 YO victorian in Escanaba, a Mansion on the lake or acerage in the country/forest the options and opportunities should fit just about any wants needs or budgets

After 25 years the long hard winters did begin to wear on me so I am happy to be in central Indiana where the difference in climate is stark. I do miss the UP and Especially the Gladstone Escanaba RR area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Bowling Green, OH

Helena, MT

Still searching for it.

Hey boner, my husband is currently in Escanaba, working in Rapid River. We're hoping he turns his temp fill-in job into a permanent job. What do you think of the area? I've been doing a lot of research on Escanaba and Gladstone. It seems pretty great.

Last edited by boner; 08-13-2013 at 09:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 10:43 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,482,293 times
Grew up in Raleigh, NC and never fit in there in 20+ years. Setting foot in Seattle cemented its status as my home, and I intend to live and die here. I'm particularly fond of the Ballard neighborhood.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:17 AM

454 posts, read 794,036 times
Beaver County, Pennsylvania until 1955

San Diego CA since 1955

Old 08-14-2013, 05:52 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
I'm from Atlanta. I now split my time between there and St Simons Island, GA.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:53 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,622,695 times
Denver

Tampa

Denver-Looks like I'll be moving back at the end of the month....woo hoo!

Old 08-14-2013, 06:18 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,445,264 times
I'm from Des Moines, currently in Cape Town, but heading back to the States soon. Minneapolis will always be home.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:21 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Technically I'm "from" my Mother
I am in my office
My home is where I lay my hat.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:40 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,182,523 times
Thanks for the info boner. My husband is filling in for the Timber Management Assistant at the Hiawatha National Forest West Zone. He's normally the Pre-sale Forester here on the Helena and Lewis & Clark National Forests in west central Montana. We love the forest.

We're used to wide open spaces and long drives to services but the greater Helena area is around 70,000 so this will be a change. I think I'm ready to move our young family to a small town where you don't have to worry about kids walking or riding their bikes around town with their friends all day.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:50 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,812 times
I am from Miami, FL.
I am in Philadelphia, PA now which I still cant consider to be home (I have been here for 3 years).
Home for me is Miami and Indonesia; where I was born.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:56 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,838,861 times
Born, and raised in Texas
Lived in Utah for awhile
Found Tennessee, and this will be home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.