Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:17 AM

4 posts, read 10,517 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
My name is Mihail. I live in Minsk (capital of Belarus).
I'm interested in the question: What is the most hospitable city in the U.S.?
I'm getting ready in the future to immigrate to the United States. I'm looking for a suitable place.
Of your proposed city I'm going to choose the ones where there are jobs in my specialty.
Thank you for your attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 11:24 AM

390 posts, read 940,577 times
That's a very good question. Short answer would be it depends. The Southern US is hospitable, but mainly to other Southerners; in my experience, they frown upon outsiders in their communities (Northerners and foreigners). The South is very Conservative with traditional values.

Cities in the Northern and Western US (i.e. New York, LA, San Francisco, Boston, Washington DC) are much more progressive and have many more foreigners. However, while they're more accepting of foreigners, that doesn't mean they're more hospitable. In fact, many people in those cities are considered to be "cold" and rude to others in general.

I think your best bet would be somewhere in the MidWest - a city like Chicago which is very diverse, Denver or Minneapolis.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:18 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I would say the NYC area first (NYC/suburban NJ), with a short dropoff to the next best city/area...the Washington DC metro (DC with suburban VA and MD).

Old 08-22-2013, 02:07 PM

519 posts, read 1,023,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS17 View Post
Hello everyone!
My name is Mihail. I live in Minsk (capital of Belarus).
I'm interested in the question: What is the most hospitable city in the U.S.?
I'm getting ready in the future to immigrate to the United States. I'm looking for a suitable place.
Of your proposed city I'm going to choose the ones where there are jobs in my specialty.
Thank you for your attention.
Maybe you can give us more of an idea of what you mean by 'hospitable', and what other traits in a city you're looking for?

Would you want to live in a city where its common to find many people from Eastern Europe?

Old 08-22-2013, 02:37 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I would say that from my travels and observations, Seattle is pretty friendly to foreigners. People from the South, such as Altanta, are friendly to other Americans, but don't seem as friendly to foreigners.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:03 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Default Which city is the most friendly to foreigners?

Houston, without a doubt.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:01 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
That's a very good question. Short answer would be it depends. The Southern US is hospitable, but mainly to other Southerners; in my experience, they frown upon outsiders in their communities (Northerners and foreigners). The South is very Conservative with traditional values.

Cities in the Northern and Western US (i.e. New York, LA, San Francisco, Boston, Washington DC) are much more progressive and have many more foreigners. However, while they're more accepting of foreigners, that doesn't mean they're more hospitable. In fact, many people in those cities are considered to be "cold" and rude to others in general.

I think your best bet would be somewhere in the MidWest - a city like Chicago which is very diverse, Denver or Minneapolis.
Actually, I can speak for New York. I'm not a New Yorker but I'm also not a tourist to the city and can say that many New Yorkers are actually very friendly and used to being asked for directions or any question about the city. They are usually willing to help a tourist and if they have some down time, spark a conversation. I think the "on the go" nature and bustle of the northeast makes people think we aren't friendly but we actually are some of the kindest people, including native New Yorkers. If you have a question or a problem, especially in time of need (like a hurricane, terrorism, etc), we are helpful and kind.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:04 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,880,436 times
Most Americans everywhere in the U.S. are very friendly and socialized in general. It is very common for Americans to have small chat, opening doors, saying "bless you", "thank you", "excuse me", etc. all the time to foreigners. This is way less common in Europe.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:48 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,958,846 times
I can't think of a major US city that isn't friendly to foreigners. Americans may have a bad reputation when travelling abroad to foreign countries, but as far as being hosts to foreigners? Americans are some of the best in the world.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:27 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
Chicago. THe city is made up of immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.