Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these 12 parts of California is your favorite?
Marin County 8 12.70%
Walnut Creek / Lafayette 2 3.17%
Monterey / Carmel 12 19.05%
Santa Barbara / Montecito 4 6.35%
Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach 2 3.17%
Beverly Hills / West Hollywood 5 7.94%
Newport Beach / Laguna Beach 11 17.46%
La Jolla / Torrey Pines 7 11.11%
Coronado Island / San Diego gaslamp quarter 1 1.59%
Catalina Island 2 3.17%
Disneyland 8 12.70%
Palm Springs / Palm Desert / La Quinta 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:36 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Good lord people, are you all this think-skinned? It was a joke. Repeat: a JOKE. (Maybe its true that humor doesnt come across well online.)

As to the original qiuestion, I haven't been everywhere of the 12, but I have enjoyed stays in Santa Maonica, San Francisco and San Francisco, all of which I'd be happy to visit again. But I do admit that actually living in Southern Cal will likely never be for me. On my next visits I'll try and look at the areas suggestted that actually might be the unicorn spots in California. Didnt think that any areas that met A through F actually existed.
It was a weak joke that was ignored by 90% of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 11:16 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Southern California can handle any disaster that comes its way. Your laughably overpriced city falls apart over "super storm" (barely a hurricane).
What's not funny at all is making fun of Hurricane (yes, Hurricane) Sandy and being another person from out of the NYC area who thinks all is fine and dandy and that Sandy was no big deal. Google Ortley Beach, NJ, Mantoloking, NJ, Bay Head, NJ, Seaside Heights, NJ, Moonachie, NJ, Breezy Point, Queens, NY, coastal Staten Island, NY, the NJ to NYC PATH stations, etc etc to see damage that is still devastating to this day, 10 months later and won't see positive change for years.

Not on topic, true, but I didn't bring it up and I couldn't let that go. That's all I'm saying on it, though, so I digress.

To answer the question, I like Orange County. So I guess Newport and Laguna would be the choices here to vote for. What I don't like is Disneyland. Too touristy, gimmicky, and we have one on this coast in Florida that I've been to (Disneyland came first, I know) so to me it's nothing special, along with the fact I'm not a ride person . Also not a huge fan of LA but the scenery (everywhere in CA pretty much) is obviously great and checking out Hollywood and everything is still fun. I haven't been to Napa but I would love to go.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Almost all of these are just LA/San Diego areas which I'm not fond of. Should have chosen more from the central/northern part of the state!!!
Yeah, this list basically assumes most of Northern California doesn't exist... Jeez OP have you ever left Southern California? There's plenty of places up north off 101 or in the Sierra Nevada that I'd choose over a lot of places on the list (Walnut Creek? C'mon...)

Old 08-27-2013, 10:06 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
8) La Jolla / Torrey Pines

I spent 9 years living next to La Jolla in UTC, University City, and Pacific Beach and love that area. It has the best beaches and some of the most scenic areas in SD/Southern CA imo.

Also Walnut Creek / Lafayette? LOL. I grew up in Walnut Creek and while it's a great suburb and area to grow up in there is nothing that particularly stands out or is special like almost all of the other places on the list.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
8) La Jolla / Torrey Pines

I spent 9 years living next to La Jolla in UTC, University City, and Pacific Beach and love that area. It has the best beaches and some of the most scenic areas in SD/Southern CA imo.

Also Walnut Creek / Lafayette? LOL. I grew up in Walnut Creek and while it's a great suburb and area to grow up in there is nothing that particularly stands out or is special like almost all of the other places on the list.
There is Mt. Diablo. The view kinda knocks me out.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
none of the list, I like Sonoma and Napa.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:28 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Weird, this should be in the U.S. Forum - California. Everything you're comparing is in California.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
none of the list, I like Sonoma and Napa.
Sure. Those may be my favorite places in the entire country, much less California.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:12 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
13) The mountains. Preferably where there aren't big crowds.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:08 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What's not funny at all is making fun of Hurricane (yes, Hurricane) Sandy and being another person from out of the NYC area who thinks all is fine and dandy and that Sandy was no big deal. Google Ortley Beach, NJ, Mantoloking, NJ, Bay Head, NJ, Seaside Heights, NJ, Moonachie, NJ, Breezy Point, Queens, NY, coastal Staten Island, NY, the NJ to NYC PATH stations, etc etc to see damage that is still devastating to this day, 10 months later and won't see positive change for years.

Not on topic, true, but I didn't bring it up and I couldn't let that go. That's all I'm saying on it, though, so I digress.

To answer the question, I like Orange County. So I guess Newport and Laguna would be the choices here to vote for. What I don't like is Disneyland. Too touristy, gimmicky, and we have one on this coast in Florida that I've been to (Disneyland came first, I know) so to me it's nothing special, along with the fact I'm not a ride person . Also not a huge fan of LA but the scenery (everywhere in CA pretty much) is obviously great and checking out Hollywood and everything is still fun. I haven't been to Napa but I would love to go.
Beautiful post JerseyGirl Rep points for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.