Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 04:09 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
There are a ton of Italians in the NE. NYC/NJ area was mentioned numerous times. There are tons of little hole in the wall ethnic restaurants which offer food that is just outstanding!! The people are brusque and at times rude, it takes a while to get to know them too. But once you've made friends, Ill tell you that those friendships mean something. But their environment is harsh too, I've witnessed people beaten and stabbed at bars and I never felt quite safe. Crazy things can start going down at the drop of a hat! But, it is one of the most dynamic, vibrant cities in the world and with a huge Italian population to boot.
Actually, I think NYC is, statistically speaking, safer than LA. Use common sense and you'll be OK.

Try Brooklyn - Bensonhurst, Carroll Gardens and a couple of other places for an Italian-American flavor, but remember, these neighborhoods aren't exclusively or heavily Italian compared with 50 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 05:11 PM

15 posts, read 17,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvenom1986 View Post
im from LA and i want to move to the east coast i just need a change plus im italian and french i wanna move to a place with more italian's that is safe any ideas?

Need Help! Im born and raised in Cali but im over it here I need a change I wanna move to the east coast or the mid west. Im Italian and french and I would love to live near more Italian's and in a safe clean area Which areas have more Italians? What states ? and hows the cost of living? I have a very hard time meeting other Italians in LA so that's why i wanna move. ny help I wanna know everything thanks

The northeast NY, Rhode Island and Boston have a ton of Italians but not straight from the boat if you know what I mean. You will find a lot of people who are proud of their Italian background but know very little about their culture. If you truly want to get the authentic experience, I suggest teaching English for a summer in Italy. That would be your best.

If you rather live in the states, I used to live in Boston area called the Northend. It's Boston's "little Italy". It's right in the city with public transportation, amazing restaurants and pubs. I'm not going to lie, you will pay a lot for a wicked old/small apartment but you will enjoy city lifestyle.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:01 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
There are plenty of Upstate NY communities with high Italian percentages. Like others have mentioned, the Northeast will have plenty throughout the region.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
im from LA and i want to move to the east coast i just need a change plus im italian and french i wanna move to a place with more italian's that is safe any ideas?
I recommend New York City and north Jersey. Definitely lots of people of Italian heritage.

And of course, those are highly populated areas.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:39 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
In NYC, the largest Italian enclaves that I know of would be Middle Village and Howard Beach. Both in Queens. I'm sure Staten Island has a lot of Italians as well.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:18 PM

43 posts, read 61,193 times
Thanks so much for the advise

Old 10-16-2013, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 5,787 times
Default NJ if you can afford it

Quote:

Need Help! Im born and raised in Cali but im over it here I need a change I wanna move to the east coast or the mid west. Im Italian and french and I would love to live near more Italian's and in a safe clean area Which areas have more Italians? What states ? and hows the cost of living? I have a very hard time meeting other Italians in LA so that's why i wanna move. ny help I wanna know everything thanks
I agree that NY, RI, MA could be good. I recommend NJ if you can afford it. Lots of Italians, tons of culture, and the wonderful Jersey shore with lots of Italians that cannot be beat (and I'm not Italian). LOVE the east coast. My husband and I have many times checked out moving to LA due to weather and we do not even like it let alone love it.

Start with Providence, RI where they have gondolas going down the river and a big Italian section. But it's colder there, and more small town than NY/Boston/NJ. Lots of young people due to many universities and you can get to the fab Newport in the blink of an eye. It's the "ocean state" and everything is very accessible.

Best of luck. Buona fortuna I think! Ciao Bella!

Old 10-16-2013, 09:58 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Plenty of Italians in the NYC area.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:14 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I applaud the OP and his effort to be exposed to something different.

Everyone on here seems to be baffled that he wants to move to the east coast... I say go for it. The northeast is a very dynamic and cosmopolitan place. It's very diverse and at certain areas supremely crowded and dense, but it's definitely got a lot of charm.

If u want Italian.... U can move to Philly, south philly in particular has many Italians...majority italian neighborhoods, etc. Also, New jersey and New York have a huge Italian population, same with Rhode Island up through Boston...

Theres something to be said for moving away from ur home state and experiencing life outside of what you're used to. . You're still relatively young...go for it.

And dont buy into the whole argument that northeasterners are rude and abrasive. That's a crock of u know what. I've encountered rude and abrasive ppl all throughout California... the northeast has plenty of nice, easy-going, laid back individuals. . It's a big and diverse place. U have ur go go, move out of my way types....and u have ur more laid-back, go-with-the-flow types. . . Like anywhere else.

The Boston down through Washington, DC cooridor encompases as much ethnic diversity and diversity of lifestyles as California... However, the energy is different. The energy is more fast-paced...no time for this and that, especially in Boston, DC, and NYC..... It's more shirt and tie and formal feeling. Not as much sandal wearing Tommy Bahama and hawaiin shirts.

Personally, I think they dress a bit more stylish. I've noticed a good portion of young ppl in California dress more casually and comfortable than formal and fashionable.
This!

Old 10-16-2013, 01:28 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Move to Nyc or Philadelphia first for two years. Then move to Atlanta or Houston for two years and then decide what you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.