Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:42 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I was wondering how many Americans know the difference between New York State versus New York City. Also do you know that the capital of the state of NY is Albany?
Yes, I know all of that but I live in the area so I hope I'd know!

There are people out there who have no clue what goes on in their own country, whether it's news or simply state boundaries and locations. Not sure whether to blame this on ignorance or lack of education, or just a bad education, but it's safe to say everyone on this forum probably knows that NYC is a city within NY State and that Albany is the capital of NY, just because this is a forum dedicated to facts like this - geography, statistics, etc. If you don't know these facts about the largest city in the country then you don't belong here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 09:05 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Yes, I know teh difference.

Sadly though there is probably a number of people who think NYC = NY State and those are the same ones who think Detroit = Michigan or LA = California.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:41 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
I was wondering how many Americans know the difference between New York State versus New York City. Also do you know that the capital of the state of NY is Albany?
People would find it even stranger that New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Delaware, Maryland, Washington, D.C., Virginia and West Virginia - all have areas that are closer to New York City than much of New York state is.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Yawn. Another American bashing thread.

I can only speak for myself. I've known the difference since early elementary school days, when I memorized all the states and capitals. I've personally never met anyone who DIDN'T know the difference.

And I'm from Texas.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:30 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
I would hople people know the difference, sheesh.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:44 PM

519 posts, read 1,023,257 times
Of course. Don't ask dumb questions without a dumb poll.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:15 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
I can understand the reasoning for the question, as when I was going to college in another state, some of the people I came across would equate hearing NY with NYC.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:25 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People would find it even stranger that New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Delaware, Maryland, Washington, D.C., Virginia and West Virginia - all have areas that are closer to New York City than much of New York state is.
^^THIS!

I had that conception before I moved to Philadelphia. When my new friends in Philly said they are going to NYC for weekend at least twice a month, I was like "Ooo fancy pants". Then I realized it took only an hour 30 minutes to get there using a bus, driving, or any of the trains. Even a tiny bit faster using Amtrak.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:35 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
^^THIS!

I had that conception before I moved to Philadelphia. When my new friends in Philly said they are going to NYC for weekend at least twice a month, I was like "Ooo fancy pants". Then I realized it took only an hour 30 minutes to get there using a bus, driving, or any of the trains. Even a tiny bit faster using Amtrak.
Meanwhile, it can take anywhere from 6-8 hours to get to NYC from Rochester. And Rochester is not even close to being the most distant area of Upstate NY from NYC.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
If I had to guess, I'd say the proportion of Americans who don't know the difference between NYC and NY State is smaller than, say, the proportion of New Yorkers who think you can take a bass boat across Lake Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.