Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 06:05 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
First off, Philly is not 40 miles from NYC like Baltimore is from DC. Philly is around 70 miles as the crow flies from NYC. Secondly, NYC is much, much larger and more cosmopolitan than DC. Philly is not even on the radar of people in Manhattan. However, I've met quite a few people from Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island that do come down to Philly from time to time and hang out. Manhattan, not so much at all.
Exactly this ^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'd describe the relationship among Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York City as "variations on a theme." This also includes Boston.

All these cities are of similar ilk, and yet remain distinct from one another.
Actually, one of these cities is not like the others. DC has a different feel from the other four, and a completely different economic base. Boston, NY, Philly and Baltimore are port cities which developed organically as colonial hubs for their regions. Also, they were significant manufacturing centers at different points in their respective histories. DC is an intentionally "designed" city founded solely to house the federal government, and was laid out in a completely different manner with promendades and circles, intended to evoke a Parisian sensibility: http://goo.gl/maps/xl7vl. Further, you will not find the skyscrapers and office canyons in DC that are found in the other four, as building heights are limited by law. So my answer to the OP would be that in terms of urban feel, NY and Philly are much more similar than DC and Baltimore. In terms or economic and cultural relationship, however, Baltimore and DC are more closely linked. Philly has its own economy and a vibrant cultural scene. Its proximity to NY simply makes it a convenient get-away, but on a day-to-day basis, NY rarely crosses the mind of Philadelphians.

Baltimore has not been closely linked to DC historically, however. It has only been in the past 15 or so years that their fortunes have been more inter-twined. This is due primarily to the growth of the federal government and the multitude of contractors that service it. The spill over has made its way from the beltway suburbs to Baltimore. Baltimore has benefitted also in that it has a lower COL making it an attractive alternative for those who can't afford DC (in fact, Baltimore has the lowest COL of the five cities above).

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 10-23-2013 at 10:00 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 09:21 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
First off, Philly is not 40 miles from NYC like Baltimore is from DC. Philly is around 70 miles as the crow flies from NYC. Secondly, NYC is much, much larger and more cosmopolitan than DC. Philly is not even on the radar of people in Manhattan. However, I've met quite a few people from Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island that do come down to Philly from time to time and hang out. Manhattan, not so much at all.
That's interesting. The biggest Philly booster I know lives in the UWS and goes there at least once a month always talking about what a great time they have. In particular she is a big fan of the art scene there (she is an artist/designer)

Old 10-23-2013, 09:52 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
There is no particular/special connection between NYC & Philadelphia.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-23-2013, 11:07 AM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
NYC & Philly do kinda blend a lot. To me, it seemed like once left the Philly suburbs, I was looking at lower Manhattan. It's easier to tell where the Baltimore area ends and the DC area begins., IMO.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:16 PM

71 posts, read 36,388 times
Philly is around 95 miles from NYC, and the two cities have completely different identities, with the only common thing being both are northeast I-95 cities.. also something about Philly is despite being northeast, you can tell it's close to the mason-dixon line

DC is 35 miles from Baltimore, so a little more than 1/3 of the distance that it is between NYC and Philly.. Baltimore and DC are way more intertwined and are much more ”one region”.. it's not even a comparison..

i'd even be bold enough to say that the Philly area has more in common with the Baltimore / Washington region than NYC / Northern NJ.. every city, despite having its own identity, tends to have some things in common with the metro areas that surround it, and Philly has some things in common with NYC, and some in common with Baltimore / DC (esp Baltimore) and i'd say it has more of the latter

whoever said Philly is the same distance from NY as Baltimore is from DC SERIOUSLY needs to go look at any map.. lmao

Old 10-01-2022, 08:46 PM

2,820 posts, read 2,287,063 times
DC/Richmond seems like a better comparison than DC/Baltimore. Close, but not in the same commuting area. One is bigger, more expensive, cosmopolitan, affluent, famous but you can see the architectural and regional similarities between the two cities.

Old 10-02-2022, 01:29 AM

817 posts, read 628,901 times
I've always considered New Jersey and New York having more of a relationship than Philadelphia and New York.

Old 10-02-2022, 12:51 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,088,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
I've always considered New Jersey and New York having more of a relationship than Philadelphia and New York.
Well, duh

Old 10-03-2022, 01:44 PM

82 posts, read 52,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
The same can be said for Philly & New Jersey having more of a relationship than Philly & New York. The relationship between Philly & New York basically is because of both cities’ close connection to New Jersey. New Jersey has a whole region of the state that acts as a buffer zone between the 2 major cities, and NjTransit gives Easy access to both cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.