Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:50 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes. Least we're honest, and you instantly know our message. We don't beat around the bush, we don't waste time on you if we don't like you or something you did. I do much prefer this.
You know, that isn't something that's unique to large East coast cities. I've been to more than a few small towns in both the South and in the desert Southwest, where people had no qualms whatsoever about flipping you off or telling you to F*** off if they didn't agree with you or disliked you for whatever reason. In fact, I think that certain small rural towns can be even more hostile, short-tempered, and overall rude than many big cities, in that they DO all know each other, and their contempt and negativity just recirculates itself daily with no real outlet. And if you're an outsider then you're a much easier target for this contempt.

I only found this to be true mainly in small towns that were economically depressed, or severely class-separated. In the case of my experience in the Southwest, it was also because the town in question was extremely isolated and cut-off from the rest of the world. They didn't like outsiders. Small towns always seem to go one way or the other with this. They can either be the friendliest, most inviting places you ever visit (or live)... or they can be the most harsh, intolerant, xenophobic hell-holes in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:07 PM

237 posts, read 191,959 times
I know for sure it isn't Boston or NYC. Go f yourself is a daily term there. I would say the deep south has the most passive aggressiveness.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:23 AM

132 posts, read 206,659 times
The entire US Pacific Coast: California, Oregon, & Washington State. They truly define themselves as passive aggressive. Too much smug & fun under the clouds or sun. LMAO!

Old 03-21-2014, 06:43 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Wait, what's wrong with saying "I'll let you go", or "I'll let you get going" when you're ready to end a conversation? I was born and raised in MN, so maybe I'm naive, but it doesn't seem very hostile whatsoever to me. To me it says "I'm respecting your time and I get the sense that you need to get somewhere or you don't have any desire to continue this discussion, so I'll let you get going and cut this conversation short". Seems polite to me, but then again, I have a different spin on it.

For the record, I'm not a typical Minnesotan at all. By "typical", I mean: not Scandanavian, not originally Protestant (Polish Catholic upbringing, but am Episcopal now, so that's technically Protestant), parents grew up in different states, never owned a boat or cabin, never played organized hockey, and don't have a Minnesota accent.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:51 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Directness > Passive Aggressive Fakeness
I'm not so sure that's always true. I think it depends on a case-by-case basis.

For example, if some restaurant server is having a bad day and "keeps it real" with me, I think I'd prefer to just experience a pleasant demeanor, even if it's fake.

On the other hand, if somebody does not like how loud I'm playing my music next door, I'd rather they politely come by and let me know that it's bothering them and ask me if I can turn it down. I would not want somebody to be seething about it and do nothing about it, put on a false bravado, but deep down hate me for something I didn't even know bothered them. I also wouldn't want that neighbor to storm over and tell me to go f_ck myself, get in my face, or start any kind of physical altercation. Again, this is a VERY simple problem: just ask politely to lower the music!

It's amazing how many tiny issues like these pop up all over America and either the instigator or instigatee completely overreacts, causing a current or future fight or legal problem!

People!

Old 03-21-2014, 08:11 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,930 times
I like passive-aggressiveness. It is a way of saying, "you suck, but I am not going to let it ruin my day." This is just an observation from this conversation, but it seems that the areas labeled "passive-aggressive" seem to be the more educated ones. I guess it is an evolutionary thing.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:24 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Quote:
Beneath their passive-aggressive exteriors, Minnesotans are just plain weird. Today when I was walking my dog at the state park (which is officially closed because the rangers haven’t gotten around to cleaning up after the flood), I encountered a tall, respectable-looking guy on a racing bike with a maroon-and-gold University rugby shirt who looked at me and yelled, “Well, you’ve got three kids,” and proceeded to laugh at the top of his lungs. Go figure. I mean I don’t have a clue. All I know is that the only person who captured this craziness was Guindon in his cartoons. Garrison Keillor and the Coen brothers don’t even come close.
This excerpt from the blog mentioned at the beginning of the thread made me laugh out loud. At work.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:28 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
Did you then hear the echo of your laugh coming from my work station down this way?

Old 03-21-2014, 02:33 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Wait, what's wrong with saying "I'll let you go", or "I'll let you get going" when you're ready to end a conversation?
Yeah, I don't understand that one, either. People don't say the same thing in other parts of the country? How that could be misconstrued as being rude, I have no idea.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:36 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Yeah, I don't understand that one, either. People don't say the same thing in other parts of the country? How that could be misconstrued as being rude, I have no idea.
Of course not. They just wait for the other person to be super direct and say, "quit f***ing talking to me!"

Last edited by Grizzly Addams; 03-21-2014 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.