Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 04:25 PM

6 posts, read 10,946 times

Advertisements

A little about us:
We are a youngish (mid to late 30s) couple with 4 children. Three will be out of the house when we move and one will be 7 years old. I own a bakery/ gift shop, degree in Business, and a substitute teaching certificate. Husband is an auto technician with a degree in automotive technology. Through the military he has also learned electronics, heating and air, and a few other things. I can honestly say he can master anything he tries (sorry proud wife moment). I grew up in Va Beach and he spent a lot of time in Pheonix. Right now we live in Missouri. We dream of one day opening a business we can run together. We are thinking something along the lines of another bakery, neighborhood pub, restaurant, or retail storefront.

What we are looking for:
A small town with under 5000 population. Community feel is extremely important. I would love to find a place that has no chain stores. I don't mind making a weekly trip for supplies. I would gladly trade convenience for safety and low traffic. Somewhere we can get a decent 3 bedroom home for under $200,000. Mild winter with plenty of snow during the winter. I love scenic views but would rather live in town.
We are both drawn to the New England area (especially Vermont) but are open to other options. This may sound odd... but I have an extreme fear of heights so mountain top locations with narrow winding roads would probably be a bad idea. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Perhaps certain Upstate NY communities can work and look into small business incentive programs. New York SBDC - Search for Grant Opportunities

Small Business Services

Business First - Mobile

As for communities that come to mind, maybe Skaneateles, Cazenovia, Marcellus, Hamilton, Clinton, Homer, Watkins Glen, Owego, Lewiston and Youngstown, among others.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:11 PM

Thanks I will look into those

Old 11-12-2013, 02:34 PM

Oh and I meant to say "mild summer" instead of mild winter.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:50 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
Any of the small towns south of Rochester, Minnesota fit your criteria perfectly: Chatfield, Houston, Lanesboro, Spring Valley, Eyota, Harmony, Mabel, Caledonia, etc.

Or think about SW Wisconsin: Viroqua, Soldier's Grove, Boscobel, Prairie du Chien

Or NE Iowa (much more picturesque than you might think - part of the same geography as above): Decorah, Elkader, Spillville, Waukon, McGregor

Old 11-13-2013, 09:28 AM

204 posts, read 422,786 times
any meth problems in the areas you mentioned (MN and Or IA) I was just reading on small mid-west towns..we are looking at the same areas to move, so I wondered if anyone had any knowledge of a drug problem, I definitely don't want to move my four kids to a dangerous area. thanks

Old 11-13-2013, 03:40 PM

Thanks everyone. I am making a list so I can research all of these towns.

Kbug3- that is one of the reasons we want to move. We live in SE Missouri and the meth problem here is out of control. I think I have seen more druggies since moving here than I ever did growing up in Va Beach/Norfolk

Old 11-14-2013, 06:25 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strubbette View Post
A little about us:
We are a youngish (mid to late 30s) couple with 4 children. Three will be out of the house when we move and one will be 7 years old. I own a bakery/ gift shop, degree in Business, and a substitute teaching certificate. Husband is an auto technician with a degree in automotive technology. Through the military he has also learned electronics, heating and air, and a few other things. I can honestly say he can master anything he tries (sorry proud wife moment). I grew up in Va Beach and he spent a lot of time in Pheonix. Right now we live in Missouri. We dream of one day opening a business we can run together. We are thinking something along the lines of another bakery, neighborhood pub, restaurant, or retail storefront.

What we are looking for:
A small town with under 5000 population. Community feel is extremely important. I would love to find a place that has no chain stores. I don't mind making a weekly trip for supplies. I would gladly trade convenience for safety and low traffic. Somewhere we can get a decent 3 bedroom home for under $200,000. Mild winter with plenty of snow during the winter. I love scenic views but would rather live in town.
We are both drawn to the New England area (especially Vermont) but are open to other options. This may sound odd... but I have an extreme fear of heights so mountain top locations with narrow winding roads would probably be a bad idea. lol
I have highlighted two areas I would encourage you to research in terms of choosing your new city. In terms of finding a job you'll want to move to an area with a low unemployment rate and not land someplace where it's one dimensional in terms of the type of work available. The Metro Are Unemployment Rate report is a good tool to use for finding cities with decent job availability.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Secondly in the current (and likely near future) US economy one needs to consider heavily finding a location where the average resident has some disposable income to deal with when opening a new business,versus many areas that are cash-strapped and unable to support many businesses beyond what are considered necessities. The chart in this article is a little hard to read (you have to mouse over the dots to see city names and numbers) but it outlines cities with the most monthly disposable income remaining after housing is paid for. Towns of population 5000 aren't among the options, but you'll get a good idea of what larger cities you would want to be in proximity to.

The U.S. Cities With the Most Leftover to Spend ... After Paying for Housing - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

Old 11-14-2013, 07:15 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Any of the small towns south of Rochester, Minnesota fit your criteria perfectly: Chatfield, Houston, Lanesboro, Spring Valley, Eyota, Harmony, Mabel, Caledonia, etc.

Or think about SW Wisconsin: Viroqua, Soldier's Grove, Boscobel, Prairie du Chien

Or NE Iowa (much more picturesque than you might think - part of the same geography as above): Decorah, Elkader, Spillville, Waukon, McGregor
Western Iowa isn't exactly flat and dreary either (Loess hills). It's a bit drier (somewhat less rain and humidity) than the central and eastern parts of the state. Maybe Onawa or Missouri Valley would be worth checking out. As for the the meth thing, it's sort of overblown IMHO. It's a big deal EVERYWHERE, it's hardly limited to the Midwest, but as long as you're neither operating a lab nor actively looking for meth, you'll be fine. I promise. I used to live in central IA and never once had a problem with it.

Also, check out Berthoud, Colorado. It's right by Fort Collins, so all your shopping needs are just a few short minutes away.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:02 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I have highlighted two areas I would encourage you to research in terms of choosing your new city. In terms of finding a job you'll want to move to an area with a low unemployment rate and not land someplace where it's one dimensional in terms of the type of work available. The Metro Are Unemployment Rate report is a good tool to use for finding cities with decent job availability.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Secondly in the current (and likely near future) US economy one needs to consider heavily finding a location where the average resident has some disposable income to deal with when opening a new business,versus many areas that are cash-strapped and unable to support many businesses beyond what are considered necessities. The chart in this article is a little hard to read (you have to mouse over the dots to see city names and numbers) but it outlines cities with the most monthly disposable income remaining after housing is paid for. Towns of population 5000 aren't among the options, but you'll get a good idea of what larger cities you would want to be in proximity to.

The U.S. Cities With the Most Leftover to Spend ... After Paying for Housing - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities
This line in that article I found to be very interesting:

Then, there are some surprises. People in greater Detroit, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Syracuse, Buffalo, and Rochester have a substantial amount of money left over after their housing is paid for; more than their counterparts in San Diego or Raleigh.

As was this one:

College towns like Boulder, Corvallis, Ann Arbor, Champaign-Urbana, and Ithaca also do quite well, although it's worth noting that one college town, State College, Pa., is near the very bottom of the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.