Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:17 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,531,712 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, since, I do think of moving to this one town in particular out west where the black and asian population barely total 1% of the city's population. There's an ok latino population, but that's about it.
Some people tell me that I have unfounded fears, other's tell me that there's nothing wrong with being weirded out by going 2 days or more, without seeing one other black person.
I don't live in this town, but the last time I was there, counting the street, I went 72 hours without seeing 1 and it's not a small city and is a Metro (not Micropolitan or less) area.
Thoughts, please no trolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 01:39 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
I'm Black and if I had a choice, I wouldn't do it at all. Now it might be different if the town I'm in has an extremely small Black presence but is part of a larger metro area with a decent percentage of Blacks, but a town in the middle of nowhere with almost no other Black people? Nah, couldn't do it.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:30 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,905,951 times
I think most normal people of any race wouldn't enjoy living somewhere with only 1% of their own race via black, white asian, or hispanic. The answer for me is no and hell no!!

Old 12-12-2013, 08:35 AM

93,419 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm Black and if I had a choice, I wouldn't do it at all. Now it might be different if the town I'm in has an extremely small Black presence but is part of a larger metro area with a decent percentage of Blacks, but a town in the middle of nowhere with almost no other Black people? Nah, couldn't do it.
^This.....Maybe and this is reaching, if there was another metro in that state with a decent Black population or perhaps the city percentage is low, but there is a military base in the area(i.e.-Great Falls MT), where the base brings diversity to the area, then I may think about it.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:56 AM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times
What is the attraction of this particular city/town that you cannot find in a more diverse area?

Everyone I know would only consider moving someplace like this only two reason: a girl (or guy) that they're seriously involved with lives there, or there is some type of once-in-a-lifetime dream job. Basically either romance or finance. If there is anothere reason you're considering being the only fly in the buttermilk, I'd be curious what it is.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:13 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
For better or worse, white suburbs and neighborhoods in the United States usually have much less crime and riff raff, better schools and other amenities and are cleaner than those dominated by ethnic minorities.

So, those might be reasons for a minority to prefer living in a white area. However, other factors could certainly come into play as well.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:29 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I think most normal people of any race wouldn't enjoy living somewhere with only 1% of their own race via black, white asian, or hispanic. The answer for me is no and hell no!!

I agree with this, minus the hell no. I wouldn't go to that extreme.

On the other end of the spectrum, I grew up in a more diverse area and I've been here in Montana for nearly ten years now. Now that I have two young children I'm growing to not like living in an area with such little diversity. I never really thought about it and certainly didn't come here because of the demographic make-up. I do think about it more now that I have children and I want them to grow up in a place where they can learn to be accepting of everyone not just because they are taught to but because they are actually exposed to diversity and can practice what they preach.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
What is the attraction of this particular city/town that you cannot find in a more diverse area?

Everyone I know would only consider moving someplace like this only two reason: a girl (or guy) that they're seriously involved with lives there, or there is some type of once-in-a-lifetime dream job. Basically either romance or finance. If there is anothere reason you're considering being the only fly in the buttermilk, I'd be curious what it is.
Relationship reasons. Not something I'm seriously thinking about doing, but it has been talked about.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:22 PM

Wondering if there's any other feedback? Didn't mean to exclude white folks, some may know minorities personally that live in a town like one being described.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:27 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times
Nope. Couldn't do it. You hear nothing but negative stories form minorities who moved into communities dominated by whites. Never heard anything good about them.

However, the same could be said for whites in majority minority communities. It's just never a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.