Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 12:07 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,370,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Migigan 83 - fact is people are moving from Michigan down here-so these hot climates must be more popular. Perhaps people get used to hot climates with AC more than cold ones.
People go where the jobs are...that why the coldest state (besides Alaska), North Dakota, is the FASTEST GROWING state in the country.

It's also why some 5,000,000 Hispanics live in the Midwest....unless they left their southern homes in order to enjoy winter....following your logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 06:59 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
North Dakota is tiny and its gain in people pales with the Southern States. The overall numbers are staggering - over the past 50 years there has been a mass exodus from the north. We are talking millions- you're talking a few thousand.

Hispanics do move around -and part of my family is Hispanic. They follow agriculture jobs, open up Mexican Restaurants and their bilingual ability gives them an edge in many job competitions. Many Hispanics immigrate directly to Chicago and NY as that is were their family is. Not all Hispanics originated in Mexico.

You forgot or were too dishonest to mention that the Hispanic Population in Southern Cal, Arizona, New Mexico< Texas and Florida has increased by many more over the same period than in the midwest.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:07 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
Let's see North Dakota gained 50,000 people over the last 3 years, Texas gained 1.3 Million see if you can guess which is a larger figure. Florida gained over a million, Michigan stayed the same -meaning many more moved out than moved in however there were more babies than old folks dying off. Some of them went to North Dakota.

If you can't understand numbers or present them honestly -why bother? Fact people have been and are continuing to leave the north and midwest in order to move south.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:16 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
People go where the jobs are...that why the coldest state (besides Alaska), North Dakota, is the FASTEST GROWING state in the country.

It's also why some 5,000,000 Hispanics live in the Midwest....unless they left their southern homes in order to enjoy winter....following your logic.
excellent points as North Dakota is the fastest growing state

Old 01-05-2014, 08:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
excellent points as North Dakota is the fastest growing state
North Dakota is the fastest growing state ONLY because of the oil and gas boom there. My husband has worked in that industry for over 30 years and he would be the first to point out to you that such booms are great TEMPORARILY but they often bust as quickly as they boom. Once the oil is gone, or natural gas prices bottom out (depending on what's being drilled), the people leave as quickly as they descended.

I am glad that North Dakota is experiencing an "oil rush." It's great for the local economies for the short haul. But it's not long term, sustainable growth. Living in Texas between the Eagle Ford and Haynesville shales, I can attest to many, many towns whose numbers are very mercurial, or which are now veritable ghost towns, because the oil and the people came...and went. It's the unstable, but exciting, nature of the business.

One of my husband's favorite phrases when it comes to trying to decide where we should live is, "Well, one thing's for sure - we're not chasing the oilfield around. Let's just pick a place near a good airport."

Old 01-05-2014, 09:20 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Winter is only 3, maybe 4 months of the year. I don't like winter much, but I can tolerate it. I'm not going to move from what's always been home for me just because of a few months of annoying weather.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:50 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Fact people have been and are continuing to leave the north and midwest in order to move south.
For jobs, not the weather.

If weather was the deciding factor in where people move, then why did millions move to the North when that is where the jobs were? Shoot, about 6 MILLION African-Americans alone moved out of the South up to around 1960. I would hate to guess how many people of other ethnic backgrounds moved out of the South during the same time frame as well.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:01 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,747 times
I like cold, hate heat. I like snow. I like snowshoeing, snowboarding, skiing, and camping. I've always liked Winter over Summer. I know many others like me and it seems the people who love summer complain about the heat as much as those of us who hate it. I lived in Texas for 17 years and it was always too hot to do anything and the winters felt colder than our winter here in Utah, but with none of the benefits. Not to mention warm climates don't have all 4 seasons.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:08 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
I think its funny that the only people I see on things like Facebook making a huge deal about the cold weather in the Midwest are in places like Arizona, Texas and Florida. No one here really cares except a few excited about the fresh snow.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I think its funny that the only people I see on things like Facebook making a huge deal about the cold weather in the Midwest are in places like Arizona, Texas and Florida. No one here really cares except a few excited about the fresh snow.
Yep. Honestly, we're amazed that people choose to deal with such shenanigans.

Now, I am sure that there are plenty of people in other parts of the country who wonder the same thing about us in the summertime.

We're getting some ice pellets and it's below freezing right now and I'm sitting here thinking, "Wow - this SUCKS! I HATE THIS!" Yesterday it was in the low sixties here and the sun was shining and the sky was a brilliant blue! I want that back.

I lived in a much colder environment (Germany - in the Spessart Mountains) for several years and got my taste of ongoing snow, frigid temps, mud rooms filled with wet boots and scarves and hats and huge coats and gloves, etc. I remember that it used to take me ten minutes to get my kids in their coats and scarves and hats and boots just to fight our way through the ice and snow to school (their school was within walking distance). It was picturesque at times, and a new, clean snowfall has it's charms but overall...NO THANK YOU.

An aside note - WAY TO GO, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - show 'em that we can play some football in the cold! I heard a lot of smack talk about how they were going to lose that game yesterday because they aren't used to playing in the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.