Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 03:29 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times

Advertisements

I just really don't understand why this is even a question. Because I know that people who love SoCal and Florida are people that just can't handle temperatures under like 55. Conversely, if that's a thing, it stands to reason that there are plenty of people who can't handle temperatures over 85/90 well. Personally, I handle the cold better, but I do enjoy the warm summer nights. But during the day, I don't see the appeal of sweating the second you walk out your front door, getting into your car which has turned into an oven, having your legs stick to your seats, and showering multiple times per day. In NYC or Chicago, summer requires waiting for subways in a sauna underground with barely any ventilation. At least in winter in those cities, it's much more comfortable waiting for a train. Even with the above ground L stations, many have heat lamps that people huddle under and they work very well. But just layer up and there should be no problem at all. When I'm already down to a T shirt and shorts and the high is 95-105 with humidity, I can't really do much more to stop being hot. The colder it gets, the more layers I can throw on and the thicker my jackets and hat and gloves can get.

In fact, even those warm summer nights can become oppressive. During a heatwave this past summer in Louisville, I was sleeping at a friend's apartment until I moved into mine in a few days. It's a nice complex, mind you, but it had been so hot outside for so long and not cooling off at all night, that I was sweating inside and literally had my head in the freezer to cool off. I ended up having to go out to a bar to be in better A/C. I left the apartment at 11:30pm and it was still 89 with a heat index of 91. By the time I left the bar around 3am, the temperature had only dropped to 82. Needless to say, I got almost no sleep that night. And examples like that are why I don't see the appeal of blazing hot temperatures year round or even for 8-9 months out of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 03:32 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
If you live in a colder climate, you can usually accept it-it's what you know and all you've known. But, if you move to a warm climate, when you think back, you can't ever have imagined living in a cold climate. It's a funny thing. When I lived in the cold it was a non-issue, but once I moved and tried to go back, I couldn't acclimate.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
If you live in a colder climate, you can usually accept it-it's what you know and all you've known. But, if you move to a warm climate, when you think back, you can't ever have imagined living in a cold climate. It's a funny thing. When I lived in the cold it was a non-issue, but once I moved and tried to go back, I couldn't acclimate.
Born and raised in LA. Living in Louisville. No problems at all.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:25 AM

52 posts, read 40,675 times
To be honest, it's kind of because I like laughing at people who get cold easily. I remember one time I was in Barcelona in December, it was around 60 degrees. Everyone around me was bundled up while I was wearing a t-shirt. It just looked absurd to me, people wearing winter jackets in such mild weather... I wondered what would they wear in an actual winter? Would they be able to manage? I know that people adapt to their climates, but I never knew it was that extreme. Just made me thankful to be from an area that gets cold winters because now I can regulate my body temperature properly. Living in a hot climate year-round seems to affect this natural ability of the body... Which is probably why people who aren't from an area with a real winter are so confused about how we all do it. It's because we aren't built the same.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:38 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Went for a walk/jog at the track today (36 degrees, can see my breath). I saw a group of guys playing flag football for an hour on the turf, two of their kids were rolling down the hill together (the stuff that keeps kids entertained ), and I saw multiple other people (5-6) also working out at the track.

Granted, to me 36 isn't all that cold (I wore long workout pants, a t shirt, a north face fleece, gloves, and a headband that keeps my ears warm, and I was sweating so I was fine. But clearly people don't mind the chillier weather and it doesn't keep them inside. It's really not that bad. I also laugh at people who can't handle it when it dips below 50.

It's funny, here on Christmas Eve it was a whopping 75 degrees - EXTREMELY unusual. I was talking to my friend who lives in Orange County CA and she said it was about 65 and people were wearing North Faces. I was like, everyone here is walking around in short sleeves and sandals. It's funny what we're used to and how differently people can handle temperatures.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:56 PM

It also annoys me that people in warm climates think that the second it drops below 40 degrees up north, everyone runs home and doesn't go out of the house for months at a time. No, you won't see people on the beaches of Lake Michigan or the Jersey Shore in January like you would in Miami Beach. But we all still go out to eat. We go for drinks with friends after work/school. We just don't do it in shorts and a t shirt. We're still humans with the same desires as humans in warm climates.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:58 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Some of us actually like the cold weather. I love it.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:37 PM

1,364 posts, read 126,441 times
Perhaps it's because some of us enjoy cold weather. Not everyone enjoys 110° weather like in California. I personally like cold weather, and would not stand the 110° in California

Old 01-18-2016, 03:48 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelots View Post
To be honest, it's kind of because I like laughing at people who get cold easily. I remember one time I was in Barcelona in December, it was around 60 degrees. Everyone around me was bundled up while I was wearing a t-shirt. It just looked absurd to me, people wearing winter jackets in such mild weather... I wondered what would they wear in an actual winter? Would they be able to manage?
The answer is no, they can’t. I’m living in a mild climate, where it never really freezes. I wear pretty much the same clothing I did when I lived in cold weather climates. Multiple layers of clothing with a leather jacket on top. It keeps me warm enough here. Which is the problem with a cold climate. I can’t physically wear enough clothes to keep me warm in those extreme temperatures. Even if I could manage to find clothing that could keep me warm, I would still have to breathe that freezing air into my lungs, which is painful for me.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:18 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All In The Family View Post
Perhaps it's because some of us enjoy cold weather. Not everyone enjoys 110° weather like in California. I personally like cold weather, and would not stand the 110° in California
LOL, thats a terrible misrepresentation of California weather. Nowhere in California except the desert areas, does it normally get to 110°. Where most Californians live, the normal summer high temperatures are in the 80s, except during rare heat waves. During the 15 years I lived in California I experienced maybe two heat waves with temperatures like what you describe. And to tell the truth, those heat waves as unpleasant as they were, didn’t feel as bad to me as the cold weather I have experienced.

On the other hand, many of these wonderful four climate areas in the country also experience those same occasional heat waves, that California does, but with high humidity on top of that. Which leaves the climate too cold in the winter, and too hot in the summer, and hopefully you get a little bit of nice weather in the fall and spring. I would rather experience 110° in LA with low humidity, then 100° in Chicago with high humidity, or worse yet -20° with an even lower windchill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.