Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:04 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

NYC is just an enclave in the northeast and is quite different culturally from the rest of the region. In NYC, yes, people are not reserved, and are hurried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 02:41 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
The more people I meet from other parts of the country (and even the world), which is more often than not in the DC area, the more I realize that supposed regional differences tend to be exaggerated or very stereotyped. That's not to say there aren't some personality traits that are more prevalent in certain areas, but they're much more subtle than what we are led to believe.

I also think you'll find much less personality distinctiveness in large urban areas than more rural areas with fewer transplants and more homogeneity.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The more people I meet from other parts of the country (and even the world), which is more often than not in the DC area, the more I realize that supposed regional differences tend to be exaggerated or very stereotyped. That's not to say there aren't some personality traits that are more prevalent in certain areas, but they're much more subtle than what we are led to believe.

I also think you'll find much less personality distinctiveness in large urban areas than more rural areas with fewer transplants and more homogeneity.
I agree. Really, people are people everywhere, for the most part. However, at the same time, no two places are exactly the same. So it's interesting to analyze them and discuss their differences. I mean, for example, people in Mississippi are different than people in Massachusetts. But I would imagine, however, that Americans are WAY different than Europeans.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:08 PM

32,106 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

Yep. It's like the poster who told me "I don't notice southerners" and "I haven't noticed any southern culture." It's as if he expected Jethro Clampett to move into the apartment next to him, turn on the Hank Williams, and then invite him over for a tall, cold glass of tea sweetened with Dixie Crystals.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I just find it laughable that anyone would say the northeast is close minded, especially when 8 out of 9 states in the region have been open minded enough to accept gay marriage, well before anywhere out west. People in the northeast, however, are reserved and keep to themselves most of the time. That doesn't mean close minded, however.
Except for you, all worried about peoples political beliefs and religion... lmfao.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:25 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Attributes? The northeastern U.S. is basically a wealthy, educated, vibrant, historical and developed region with a good deal of natural beauty to go along with it.

That much is obvious enough, I'd say.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Attributes? The northeastern U.S. is basically a wealthy, educated, vibrant, historical and developed region with a good deal of natural beauty to go along with it.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

As Poorest U.S. City, Reading Also Struggling With High Dropout Rate - YouTube

Old 01-14-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Right, because one small city in PA represents the entire northeast region.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:55 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

I love the Northeast just as much as anyone else, but you make it sound MUCH more utopian than it actually is. I'd agree that the region is uniformly historic with very pleasant natural beauty all around, but it absolutely has its fair share of poor, uneducated and economically-depressed areas, just like the rest of the country.

In fact, the supposed high incomes of the Northeast have to be adjusted for high cost-of-living differences -- so even the overall wealth of the Northeast is somewhat exaggerated.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Right, because one small city in PA represents the entire northeast region.
45% of the population in the Northeast does not live in the Boston, NYC or Philly MSAs. And there are certainly more people in the region living like the people in Reading than there are who are living like Richie Rich.

Some of you guys sound like the characters in the Greet Gatsby, traversing the Valley of Ashes en route to the next tapas restaurant or cupcake shop. Sure, they are lots of wealthy people in these metros, but there are vastly outnumbered by the poor and working-class. So overall, I'd say that Reading is more representative of the region than the "wealthy" areas of Connecticut and Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.