Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 01:27 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by push0d View Post
And thank you 9162 and edwardsyzzurphands. We've seen some very nice houses in both Providence and Newton online. The only problem with both places is that they often look a little run down in pictures, but perhaps I'm just not finding any accurate ones. Providence may also be a little bigger than I want... But doesn't seem too bustling.
You can't go by word of mouth, or by pictures, you have to go for a visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by push0d View Post
I've heard Wellesley was a little more conservative, unless I'm misinformed?
The original definition of "conservative" meant that what you do in your back yard is your business, and what I do in my back yard is my business. Also, Wellesley, like many burbs surrounding Boston are full of well educated people. You are not going to see too many people anywhere in the Boston metro area like on Duck Dynasty, never mind in Wellesley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:41 PM

211 posts, read 519,497 times
My picks:

Vermont: Barre, Burlington, Stowe, Montpellier
New Hampshire: Concord (nothing else really, it's a pretty conservative state)
Maine: Bar Harbor, Portland and most other southern coastal towns are pretty socially accepting
Rhode Island: Newport, Providence
Massachusetts: Lynn, Cambridge

Vermont is undoubtedly one of the better states if you are looking for tolerance.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:36 AM

1 posts, read 936 times
push0d did you ever move? Where did you guys pick?

This is so strange coming across this thread. My husband and I are just about to move to the same region from Oklahoma City. We're both 30 and coming up on our 12th anniversary. He works in interior design and I'm an architect. Both of our design aesthetics are very New England so we've decided to take the plunge and move up there to, hopefully, get more work.

We're looking for someplace with a strong art/design community, gay friendly, probably mid to upper class since both of our careers cater to that crowd, but not necessarily a large city like Boston.

I know all of New England is gay friendly but the problem for us is finding the right mix of wealthy clients, gay friends and proximity to Boston or NYC for high-er end shopping.

I'm thinking Providence lately, anyone have a better suggestion?

(BTW we don't have kids so schools aren't a big deal for us)

Old 01-23-2016, 05:55 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbt103 View Post
push0d did you ever move? Where did you guys pick?

This is so strange coming across this thread. My husband and I are just about to move to the same region from Oklahoma City. We're both 30 and coming up on our 12th anniversary. He works in interior design and I'm an architect. Both of our design aesthetics are very New England so we've decided to take the plunge and move up there to, hopefully, get more work.

We're looking for someplace with a strong art/design community, gay friendly, probably mid to upper class since both of our careers cater to that crowd, but not necessarily a large city like Boston.

I know all of New England is gay friendly but the problem for us is finding the right mix of wealthy clients, gay friends and proximity to Boston or NYC for high-er end shopping.

I'm thinking Providence lately, anyone have a better suggestion?

(BTW we don't have kids so schools aren't a big deal for us)
I know you are looking for a New England like area, but given what you are looking for, perhaps you could look into the Center Square neighborhood in Albany. Historic Center Square Neighborhood - Albany, NY

Center Square Neighborhood In Albany NY - Downtown Albany Community Near Lark Street

Lark Street BID | The Heart of Albany
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lark_Street

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center...toric_District
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighb...#Center_Square

Old 01-23-2016, 06:10 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Providence RI is a great place. It's a medium size otwn, both gay and family friendly, and very beautiful. My wife and I are looking to relocate to the NE ourselves, but it will be a few years off, and Providence is on our radar as well. Here is an article from The Advocate about it. Oh, and Provincetown, RI is another good choice.

Gayest Cities in America, 2013 | Advocate.com

Old 01-23-2016, 09:08 AM

822 posts, read 858,405 times
Providence would be a great fit. Large gay community and Providence is very welcoming. Gay Pride takes over the whole downtown , supported and celebrated by mostly all businesses and citiztens of the city .. and its not as expensive as Boston, but close enough you can visit easily. there are lots of wealthy folk on the East Side/College Hill (home to Brown, RI School of Design, Johnson and Wales) The West End is more hip/artsy/eclectic. Stay away from South Prov. Providence is also very diverse for it's size, and the restaurant scene is one of the best in the country. And, no matter where you live in RI, your never more than 30 mins. from the beach. Provincetown is in MA at the tip of Cape Cod .. a great place for fun, but a little isolated. I wouldnt recomend living there, best to enjoy it on the weekends!

Last edited by mvpsharky; 01-23-2016 at 09:20 AM..

Old 01-23-2016, 10:13 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, Providence has more gay nightspots than Boston, which is really an amazing statistic when you think about it. Even if you're not at a point in your life where you're particularly interested in going out, that's a powerful statement about the city's gay scene. I live in a suburb of Providence that a local magazine recently named the best town for Republicans in Rhode Island, and yet there are still gay couples here openly raising kids without so much as a sideways glance from anybody.

Providence also has a terrific art scene.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:06 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I love New Haven - it's my favorite place in my home state. Still, if "good schools" a requirement, you shouldn't seriously think about locating there. There is a city-wide magnet program, but it's very competitive, and the neighborhood with great neighborhood schools (East Rock) is incredibly expensive, as Yale professors and the like crowd everyone else out of the market.

Even in the Republican parts of New England, you largely would be accepted. Being a Republican up there is mostly about wanting taxes to be low, and is fairly socially permissive. Indeed, in some states Democrats had more of a reputation as being socially conservative historically, as before the modern party alignment Democrats were the Catholic party in New England. Unless you moved to a working-class enclave, I don't think you'd get much flak, and even there it would be minimal. Even in upstate New York, I don't think there's any serious social conservativism outside of the Southern Tier.

Northampton is great. I went to college nearby, and my mother retired there, so I know a great deal about it. It definitely has more of a lesbian than gay vibe (as many women who go to Smith never leave the area), but it's perfectly accepting of gay men.

If you want a gay male mecca, Provincetown is about it in New England. It's ridiculously expensive however. Hell, most of New England is. You should really list your limit regarding housing costs.
New Haven itself has a very urban, rough school district, but some of the best private/magnet schools in the country. You also have gay friendly suburbs of New Haven (Woodbridge, Madison, Branford, Guilford) all of which are very well educated with great public schools. It is a pretty wealthy area but live and let live. You're an hour and change to NYC and 2.5 hours to Boston.

Take almost all of southwestern CT off your list --- unless you want to pay a million bucks for a shoe box... it's the fast paced, money culture of Manhattan..

But definitely check out northwestern CT. It can be pricey but it's tucked away and there is a HUGE gay presence there. Anderson Cooper lives there. Towns like Southbury, Woodbury, Roxbury, Washington, Kent, etc... rural, good schools and very gay friendly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.