Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 11:41 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,656,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIndependent View Post
Liberal bastion of where? the Midwest? That's a title better reserved for Minneapolis or Chicago or even Madison. SF is synonymous with progressive causes, nationwide.

The inner city of St. Louis is very Democratic. But don't confuse that with progressive. Detroit is very Democratic too, but it would be inaccurate to describe it as a true liberal bastion. Also don't forget the St. Louis suburbs gave America Todd Akin.
Actually, that is only half true. Todd Akin is actually a native of New York City, and he moved to the St. Louis suburbs before high school. His parents were whackos before that and they weren't from St. Louls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 11:45 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
SDPMiami, you must not have been to the city proper if you really think that. You sound like a complete ignoramus. "Country"???? Rather audacious of you, being from the actual South. Here's the St. Louis you clearly missed:
I was at Pappy's smokehouse. Is that in a suburb?

A lot of the pics you posted clarify my statements. Thanks. Look at the way people dress, they dress country.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post

A lot of the pics you posted clarify my statements. Thanks. Look at the way people dress, they dress country.
haha, 70% of those people are not even from here because Pappy's is a tourist trap. Yeah, we get some country tourists, being in the heartland. St. Louis was a top 10 city for 120 years starting in 1850, it's far from country.

And Mr. Independent-- let's see what kind of people New York City blessed the world with: Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, Anne Coulter and yep....Todd Akin.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:59 AM

SDPMiami-- just because people don't dress like they're from South Beach doesn't mean they're "country." Give me a break, you sound so pretentious.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:13 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:

To me honestly, St. Louis feels like a country city if that makes sense.

Honestly it's a gray area if St. Louis is a midwestern city, it begins to feel like the south to me.
That doesn't make any sense. Because its silly. And St Louis is as midwestern as it gets.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:51 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
SDPMiami, you must not have been to the city proper if you really think that. You sound like a complete ignoramus. "Country"???? Rather audacious of you, being from the actual South. Here's the St. Louis you clearly missed:

Yooooo...Those STL pics were straight up dapper man. I swear a lot of those pics look like they could've been taken in Bmore, DC, and Richmond..Awesome looking city with grand architecture, vibrant culture, and beautiful people of all walks of life. Nice work Do you got more?

Old 03-19-2015, 05:46 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Great pictures, BTW..

What separates St. Louis from cities like Philly and Baltimore is the fact that these homes are detached, for the most part..

Old 03-19-2015, 07:32 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Yooooo...Those STL pics were straight up dapper man. I swear a lot of those pics look like they could've been taken in Bmore, DC, and Richmond..Awesome looking city with grand architecture, vibrant culture, and beautiful people of all walks of life. Nice work Do you got more?
It used to be such a large, grand city. I was looking at it's historic population totals recently. It was like 850k in 1950, then dropped all the way to just barely above 300k now. That is an incredible drop. You have a city built for possibly 900k people, but only a third occupied. I have to imagine there are some bombed out looking neighborhoods. And the population DROPPED from 2010 to 2013...good lord...it may even get down to the 200ks if it does not stop the bleeding.

So sad...just sad. The midwestern cities just got decimated over the last 50 years or so.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:45 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Do all those photos of St Louis conform to the rules of City-Data?

As for the premise of this thread, St Louis is just like San Francisco except for most everything.
While there is definitely some infrastructure that dates to a similar time and therefore relates, that alone does not make St Louis "like" San Francisco or vice versa.
PS: Yes. I have been to both cities.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:09 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:

Judging from that statement alone, I'm lead to believe you've never actually been to the country. I've lived 4 years in Mississippi, I know what country is, and St. Louis is not country. Missouri on a state level can be a little woodsy and conservative, and what you may have experienced were people from the region flooding to the local tourist trap in St. Louis, but the city itself is far and away from anything "country".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.