Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:58 PM

160 posts, read 183,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
The flag in terms of meaning is objective, a more neutral image, what you see as hate another sees as the south or heritage. And I can already tell you there never will be an agreement on this, I think the Confederate flag stands for southern heritage and the south, TO ME! The flag has no universal meaning. Same goes for the American flag, I think it stands for the great ol' USA. But natives would probably feel disdain and pain from how the white man took their land and killed their ancestors, and I can see that.

And when people come to conclusions about flags like that, it truly shows how ignorant the viewer is because they don't know the motives of those that fly it, so they start assuming everything.

You also show your motives as well, only "decent" people would leave NJ if it became Alabama, who are the "decent" people? Folks who vote Democrat? Liberals? Who? It really shows what you think of the south too, and it makes me even more certain that I never even want to touch the Northeast with my feet.

And we should be thanking God that Virginia proper isn't anything like NOVA.

Me and others on the site would agree, slavery DID play it's part in the start of the Civil War, however it wasn't the only cause, there were several, slavery just happened to be the one that threw a gallon of gas on a buring fire.
Okay so if you see a guy with baggy, sagging pants, a size XXXXL t-shirt, that blasts hip hop music in his car, what would you think of him? A thug, more than likely. Same goes for the owners of Confederate flags. Luckily, my white southern friends feel the same way about the flag as I do. They know white southerners who fly the flag and they were indeed racist, they just don't say it in your face cause they are just racist cowards.

You don't have to come to the Northeast if you don't like it. I'm sure you will find plenty of mindless Republican politics outside of the Northeast. In the Northeast ( I don't consider Virginia a TRUE northeastern state, I would call it Mid-Atlantic, just like MD.) everyone I met was tolerant, friendly, open-minded, and welcoming of others. Same cannot be said for the south.

In the future, I can see what is happening NOVA and what the Yankees you hate so much did to Florida happen in North Carolina and some other southern states. I mean, just look at Atlanta. Northerners are taking over, whether you like it or not. And it's all for the better, imo.

Yes you are right, they did fight for slavery. Which is why we should do away with that disgusting flag & Confederate history month altogether. Defending history like that makes one look backwards. There are plenty of positive things about the south, the cuisine, music, writers, and just the natural beauty of the south for example..The rebel flag and the legacy of the Confederacy however is not.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:30 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Anyone to get back to the OP and the purpose of this thread I would say that slavery is ABSOLUTELY revelant to this thread.

I am interested in history and I have read more than my share of Civil War books. I often found the Confederate side to be the more heroic, if nothing else because they were outnumbered, usually only winning battles because of better leaders or sheer courage.

Today, I totally understand how many Southeners see the flag as part of their heritage and not a racial thing. I believe I said this here before on City Data.

But it is clear many people also see the flag as a racial symbol of oppression. And it is also clear that some people totally don't get this. Either that or they simply don't care.
>>>>>
Today, I totally understand how many Southeners see the flag as part of their heritage and not a racial thing. I believe I said this here before on City Data.

But it is clear many people also see the flag as a racial symbol of oppression.
<<<<<

Simply put, both of these viewpoints should be respected without bashing the other person's position.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
The American flag was never specifically used as a symbol for the oppression of Native Americans. One can construe that to be its meaning, but the flag symbolizes many other things, while the confederate flag refers to one specific event in the country's history.
>>>>>
The American flag was never specifically used as a symbol for the oppression of Native Americans.
<<<<<

Try explaining your assertion to my Choctaw/Creek ancestors that were forced off of their land.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:55 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
The American flag was never specifically used as a symbol for the oppression of Native Americans.
<<<<<

Try explaining your assertion to my Choctaw/Creek ancestors that were forced off of their land.
Easy enough to explain the meaning of the word "specifically".

Old 04-18-2010, 02:13 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilExquiste View Post
Okay so if you see a guy with baggy, sagging pants, a size XXXXL t-shirt, that blasts hip hop music in his car, what would you think of him? A thug, more than likely. Same goes for the owners of Confederate flags. Luckily, my white southern friends feel the same way about the flag as I do. They know white southerners who fly the flag and they were indeed racist, they just don't say it in your face cause they are just racist cowards.

If I saw a guy in baggy saggy pants wearing the quadruple extra large shirt blasting (C)Rap everywhere, I wouldn't hold it against him, I just don't like rap or anything like that. I'm more Country and Western. And your white southern friends are entitled to their opinions, but knowing a few racist whites who flew the Confederate flag doesn't speak for the huge numbers of people who do fly one.

You don't have to come to the Northeast if you don't like it. I'm sure you will find plenty of mindless Republican politics outside of the Northeast. In the Northeast ( I don't consider Virginia a TRUE northeastern state, I would call it Mid-Atlantic, just like MD.) everyone I met was tolerant, friendly, open-minded, and welcoming of others. Same cannot be said for the south.

What is the real difference between mindless Republican politics from mindless Democrat politics? My experiences of southerners is the polar opposite of yours, southerners were great to me and the few northeasterners I met came off rude and confrontational to me.

In the future, I can see what is happening NOVA and what the Yankees you hate so much did to Florida happen in North Carolina and some other southern states. I mean, just look at Atlanta. Northerners are taking over, whether you like it or not. And it's all for the better, imo.

I don't "hate" yankees, by southern standards I'm a yankee too . And if you notice, the only places in the south being overrun by northerners is Charlotte, or Atlanta, Cary, Raleigh and all that, but when you get into the sticks southern culture will always be there. I'm not one to say it is for the better, because the south is a true jewel to this country.

Yes you are right, they did fight for slavery. Which is why we should do away with that disgusting flag & Confederate history month altogether. Defending history like that makes one look backwards. There are plenty of positive things about the south, the cuisine, music, writers, and just the natural beauty of the south for example..The rebel flag and the legacy of the Confederacy however is not.

Putting words into my mouth, I didn't say they did fight for slavey, and I didn't say that they didn't, individual soldiers had their reasons, but the slavery you have to take into the context of the times, you destroy slavery back then you kill America of 1860's cash crop, the South. And whether you like it or not the Confederacy had a HUGE impact on the south's future. To deny that history would be a disservice to all the men who died for their convictions and the great sacrifices the gave on the South's behalf. But history is history, it is painted with the blood of tyrants and the innocent. The Confederate States of America is something I feel is worth remembering and commemorating, because it was in that time in history that the south gave it's biggest sacrifice.
My reply in BOLD.

I should also mention, that the Confederate flag is objective in it's meaning, it means anything anyone wants it to mean to anybody, you cannot push your beliefs on others. That is why I feel for me it is heritage and pride in the south, the south is where I am near convinced is where I will feel most at home and with my kind, and nobody can change that, in my opinion the Confederacy's legacy needs to be upheld and NEVER forgotten.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:02 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Come on home now, Desertkid; come home to supper.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:18 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Come on home now, Desertkid; come home to supper.
I'll be right there!

Old 04-18-2010, 03:24 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilExquiste View Post

Oh please. Obama won in NC and FL because of two reasons...

(A) Native Southern Blacks turned out in HUGE numbers to vote for him (especially in NC)
(B) Many people didn't like McCain as an alternative because of the whole McCain/Kennedy immigration debacle so they didn't vote at all.

Obama didn't win those states just because of Northern transplants. And so what if Northerners are moving to the South, they'll just have to learn to deal with the Confederate flag whether they like it or not. Unless someone is willing to trespass onto my private property to commit theft or vandalism there's really nothing they can do.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Easy enough to explain the meaning of the word "specifically".
Not sufficient.

But nothing would be anyway.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:47 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Not sufficient.

But nothing would be anyway.

No doubt of that. If you can't even recognize what specific means there's no pleasing you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.