Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 05:27 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,491 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious as to what it is like to live in only one city for your entire life. Do you get the warm and fuzzy's sometimes knowing that the elementary school you went is just on the other side of town or do you get sick of looking at the same ol' buildings, driving down the same road etc... day after day? I did a search and didnt find anything so I thought I'd ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 01:38 PM

97 posts, read 1,228,872 times
I've lived in the same town forever and there are pros and cons. You know how to get around town before you even start driving just from being familiar with the streets. You have a more intimate knowledge of the area I guess, but I've pretty much wanted to move away since I can remember. Even as a little kid I wished that my parents would move just so I wasn't stuck living in the same area forever. That being said, I'm fairly introverted and maybe would have been more inclined to stay if I had more friends. (Not that I didn't - I just tend to have one to three people I actively hang out with and everyone else is more of an acquaintance.) Also, I live in a small town outside of a medium sized but boring city (Baton Rouge, LA) so maybe if we lived somewhere nicer I'd be more enthusiastic about being here. I've just never liked this area and I think it has more to do with the location than the fact that I've lived here my whole life, but I'm sure that monotony is part of it as well. Also - major con to me - seeing people you vaguely know all over the place and trying to avoid eye contact in case they try to talk to you. Yuck.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:59 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
I've lived in the same metropolitan area all my life. Haven't been to the suburb in which I grew up in over a year. And haven't lived in it for at least half my life.

I love it, though. I know the city. I'm invested in it. And it's not like the city doesn't change. It's changing all the time. And I guess because it's a large area, I almost never see people I know ... outside of the specific area I know them from.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:15 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
I have lived in the same valley all my life (San Fernando Valley). And practically the same city (from age 5 to present).

No, I don't get sick of the same area because it's a nice area. Wide streets, lots of parking, mountain views, plenty of shopping and a weekly car gathering. And mild weather which encourages outdoor activities.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:16 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
I've lived in the same Metro area for all my 35 years. I really meant to go live other places but it never worked out. However, at this point, no where else feels normal to me anymore. As for getting sick of things, my city's big enough that there's many neighborhoods or suburbs that I can spend time in and see a whole new side of it. One thing I've noticed is that as I go through different stages of my life I get curious about different things about my city. History, nature, local crime, urban legends, neighborhood folklore, the vibe in different neighborhoods. It never tires me. I feel like it's always new and I may never know it all.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:20 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
I have lived most of my life in the Hartford metro area and am now 29 years old. Similar to what others have said on here, I've become so used to it that it seems like ANYWHERE else in the entire country would be a compromise in one way or another. Even another area within Connecticut is a compromise. To me, it's just a very well balanced, well rounded area that's very, very hard to beat IMO. Now, objectively, I'm sure there are better places in the U.S. But name any place, and I will be quick to tell you that the Hartford area is better than whatever area in various regards. Ironically, I'm sick of it and wanting a change.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:22 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousLindsey View Post
I've lived in the same town forever and there are pros and cons. You know how to get around town before you even start driving just from being familiar with the streets. You have a more intimate knowledge of the area I guess, but I've pretty much wanted to move away since I can remember. Even as a little kid I wished that my parents would move just so I wasn't stuck living in the same area forever. That being said, I'm fairly introverted and maybe would have been more inclined to stay if I had more friends. (Not that I didn't - I just tend to have one to three people I actively hang out with and everyone else is more of an acquaintance.) Also, I live in a small town outside of a medium sized but boring city (Baton Rouge, LA) so maybe if we lived somewhere nicer I'd be more enthusiastic about being here. I've just never liked this area and I think it has more to do with the location than the fact that I've lived here my whole life, but I'm sure that monotony is part of it as well. Also - major con to me - seeing people you vaguely know all over the place and trying to avoid eye contact in case they try to talk to you. Yuck.
I don't see how you do it. I'm running to leave Prairieville now. At least I'm on the closer side to NOLA.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:57 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Hmm, this is interesting. Well, I lived in Jax until I was 18 then returned at the age of 25, so aside from a few years away I have been living in the same city my whole life.

I do not feel the warm and fuzzy's about things like that. I drive by my elementary school once or twice a week but haven't actually thought about it in years. (I didn't even realize that I drive by it until I started typing this) Drive by my high school about once a week as well although I was aware that I was doing that! Middle school is no longer there (well, the buildings now belong to a college that was nearby)

On the other hand, I am not sick of it at all. I do think (and this is what I tell everybody when they ask me which comes up quite often actually) that I might want to move elsewhere if I didn't travel so much. I spend ~50% of my time in Jax, 25% in DC, and 25% elsewhere, which is just enough to keep me stimulated and in touch with the world. That said, I actually sometimes wish I wasn't gone so often cause there's a lot of great stuff happening in Jax and sometimes I miss out. I'm involved with a few of the communities and groups that are pushing things forward in this city and it gets difficult to be as involved as I would like when I'm gone so often.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:55 AM

976 posts, read 1,055,489 times
I've lived in Houston my entire life...I even went to undergrad and grad school here. I've travelled to many locations and have considered moving but after I think about it.....everything I need is here. true is may not be as flashy but it's probably the best "value" pick of all the cities in the U.S. There's a reason why a million plus people have been moving here for the last three decades.

Also, the main reason why I stay is because every year the city makes incredible progress....it is adding new layers every single year. It's like being in NYC in the early 1900's and it would be incredibly stupid for me to leave the synergy of a booming city like Houston right now. I'm more interested in seeing it become what we all know it would become one day. Just the evolution of downtown is amazing and I don't want to miss this transformation.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 7,978 times
I've lived in the same city in Florida my whole life and I hate it, but I'm afraid to leave as well. I'm in my 40's now with a family, and I just can't imagine living here for the rest of my existence. BUT, I see so much beauty here too. This is where people go on vacation. I love the beach and so does my family. I have so many good friends here and I know where all the fun stuff is. With that said, we are planning on leaving in the next 3 years. We want to make sure that financially we can make it. I'm terrified and thrilled at the same time. I just think, I have so much, yet I feel like a fish in a fish bowl -- same rocks, same plastic figurine, same crappy scenery. I'm terrified that I'll move and be all alone, no friends, everybody will be stuck-up and snotty where we're going... it's really terrifying. Moving was my big idea that my family saw as a great change and exciting adventure -- what if I let them down? But I do know one thing -- staying where I am is the most depressing outlook of them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.