Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:21 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times

Advertisements

SC allows the sale of fireworks, which neighboring states forbid. (unless this has changed).

FL has sandy soil, while other southern states have red clay soil.

TN, WV, VA, (and possibly NC ?) have skiing resorts, in mountainous areas with heavy snow. Other southern states do not.

TN allows no gambling in any form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 12:14 AM

581 posts, read 969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Marylanders speak with midland accents similar to Pennsylvanian and Ohio[/url], and south Jersey. this accent is not present in the South.
I would like to point out, however, that the Midland dialect is a relatively recent import to most of the state. This is similar to what is happening in the Raleigh-Durham area today, where the dialect is quickly becoming midland in a process known as dialect swamping. The Baltimore Dialect is a Mid-Atlantic (Not Midland) dialect with heavy influence from Southern dialects. The DC accent and most of MD's old accent was much like present-day Richmond and Tidewater VA before the dialect swamping occurred.

This came hand-in-hand with a phenomenon we might call "culture swamping". MD's modern culture and politics are largely defined by a relatively recent influx from other states that completely overwhelmed the culture that was there in many areas. This process is beginning to happen to NC and VA, but they're much bigger states.
Edit: A new finding, apparently the most recent groups coming into MD are primarily from the South. Not sure which states. I wonder if it will have lasting cultural effect.

Just stating facts about my home state's cultural/linguistic history, since i'm a linguist.
Please, nobody even try to start up that damnable MD North/South discussion again.
Feels dangerous even talking about MD's culture because someone eventually will have a conniption.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 02-28-2014 at 12:31 AM..

Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
I would like to point out, however, that the Midland dialect is a relatively recent import to most of the state. This is similar to what is happening in the Raleigh-Durham area today, where the dialect is quickly becoming midland in a process known as dialect swamping. The Baltimore Dialect is a Mid-Atlantic (Not Midland) dialect with heavy influence from Southern dialects. The DC accent and most of MD's old accent was much like present-day Richmond and Tidewater VA before the dialect swamping occurred.

This came hand-in-hand with a phenomenon we might call "culture swamping". MD's modern culture and politics are largely defined by a relatively recent influx from other states that completely overwhelmed the culture that was there in many areas. This process is beginning to happen to NC and VA, but they're much bigger states.
Edit: A new finding, apparently the most recent groups coming into MD are primarily from the South. Not sure which states. I wonder if it will have lasting cultural effect.

Just stating facts about my home state's cultural/linguistic history, since i'm a linguist.
Please, nobody even try to start up that damnable MD North/South discussion again.
Feels dangerous even talking about MD's culture because someone eventually will have a conniption.
Do you have any evidence to back this up?

I ask because Baltimore City, Baltimore County and much of northeast MD fall into the same category as Philadelphia and southern Jersey, despite not being the destination for northern transplants. Northerners move central MD: Montgomery and Howard counties and the DC suburbs, and still statistically more southerners move to MD.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:20 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
TN has a state lottery and limited gambling for charity (i.e. rubber duck races).

TN does allow fireworks sales on a county by county basis. I know it doesn't border SC, but still....

Also, in my opinion, the difference between states is dwarfed by the difference between areas within any state. Both between rural and urban areas and between regions within states.

Last edited by creeksitter; 02-28-2014 at 06:33 AM..

Old 02-28-2014, 10:29 AM

581 posts, read 969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Do you have any evidence to back this up?

I ask because Baltimore City, Baltimore County and much of northeast MD fall into the same category as Philadelphia and southern Jersey, despite not being the destination for northern transplants. Northerners move central MD: Montgomery and Howard counties and the DC suburbs, and still statistically more southerners move to MD.
I think you may be under the impression i'm disagreeing with you more than I actually am. Baltimore City and Baltimore County, as I mentioned, are in the Mid-Atlantic dialect region. This is their native dialect. Baltimore has significant southern influence in its dialect (it was the destination of many southern transplants). But i'm agreeing with you here: Baltimore and NE MD have Mid-Atlantic dialects, and have had them since the earliest dialect studies were conducted.

The dialect swamping occurred in Central MD and the Eastern Shore, not the whole state. It also started well over 20 years ago. By 1995 or so central MD was solidly Midland and Mid-Atlantic.

My source is a print source and I'm afraid I have no interest in tracking those books down and citing them. You'll have to make your own judgement as to whether or not i'm making all this up. I believe UPenn published the books, so they might be a good place to start if you're curious. Aschmann, whose map you used, does his work as a hobby - he's actually a Native American linguist. I disagree with him on some points (like his placing Western MD in the southern region, not making Mid-Atlantic expansive enough in MD) but that map is generally reliable.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 02-28-2014 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 10:08 PM

19 posts, read 44,742 times
Mississippi: preserved Antebellum plantations; pride in southern heritage/roots; strong tradition of young gentlemen and belles being involved in cotillion while growing up; and selecting schools where parents attended such as Ole Miss or Mississippi State.

State population are overwhelming born and raised in the state. It's one of the most socially and fiscally conservative along with Oklahoma, Alabama, Tennessee, and South Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.