Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 06:11 PM

367 posts, read 697,192 times

Advertisements

Florida is hot and humid. I would go to California. You can always have roommates if it gets too expensive for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 10:52 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Texas or Florida: where people go to when the going gets tough, so they get going.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:36 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
California has some of what you want, but you will have a hard time controlling what people wear to the store. Some people just insist on unreasonable freedoms! (Do you want to live where people tell you what to wear?)

Old 03-02-2014, 04:26 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WI55 View Post
I haven't heard a single good thing about Florida, TBH.
And you won't.

As someone who lived in South Florida and then Southern California for years, I would advise you to avoid Florida like the plague.

I never hated Florida--I love the beaches, the greenery, the recreational opportunities (i.e., golfing, boating, fishing, etc.), and so forth. However, it was the people and culture that ultimately drove me out. Compared to California, the people and culture of Florida are simply horrifying.

After all of my years in Florida, I noticed that Midwesterners and West Coasters had a much more difficult time adjusting to the people and culture of Florida, especially South Florida, than Northeasterners who are more accustomed to rudeness, aggression, incivility, etc. However, the difference between the Northeast and Florida is that people in the Northeast are far less prone to ineptness in most transactions. The lack of common sense among people in Florida is simply alarming. And it doesn't end there.

I would suggest reading my other posts if you're interested in my perspectives of Florida, California, and Arizona (which is where I currently live and could be another viable option for you if you're looking to avoid cold weather) and how those places compare and contrast to each other.

In conclusion, if you're from the Midwest, you're really doing yourself a favor by avoiding Florida and looking into California, more so than someone from the Northeast.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:01 PM

8 posts, read 12,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
And you won't.

As someone who lived in South Florida and then Southern California for years, I would advise you to avoid Florida like the plague.

I never hated Florida--I love the beaches, the greenery, the recreational opportunities (i.e., golfing, boating, fishing, etc.), and so forth. However, it was the people and culture that ultimately drove me out. Compared to California, the people and culture of Florida are simply horrifying.

After all of my years in Florida, I noticed that Midwesterners and West Coasters had a much more difficult time adjusting to the people and culture of Florida, especially South Florida, than Northeasterners who are more accustomed to rudeness, aggression, incivility, etc. However, the difference between the Northeast and Florida is that people in the Northeast are far less prone to ineptness in most transactions. The lack of common sense among people in Florida is simply alarming. And it doesn't end there.

I would suggest reading my other posts if you're interested in my perspectives of Florida, California, and Arizona (which is where I currently live and could be another viable option for you if you're looking to avoid cold weather) and how those places compare and contrast to each other.

In conclusion, if you're from the Midwest, you're really doing yourself a favor by avoiding Florida and looking into California, more so than someone from the Northeast.
Thanks for the great post! I'll definitely look into your post history

Old 03-02-2014, 09:56 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WI55 View Post
I am 25/m. I was raised in the midwest. There are many things I like about it: nice people, beautiful falls, people love football. There are many things I can't stand: close minded people, little diversity, people don't strive for big things (content w dead end job, living in the same town they were born in), summers are hit or miss as far as weather, winters are awful.

Here are things I like/look for in a place to live:

* Warm weather (Annual low - 30, High - 90)
* Rain and sun are fine. Snow and freezing temps are not
* People who inspire me in terms of their career ambitions and entrepreneurial spirt. I enjoy being around med students, law students, people w interest in human rights etc
* I'd like to be able to live comfortable on an 80k salary
* People who exercise, or at least keep from becoming obese
* Diverse population
* I enjoy being on the beach/water
* Something to do on the weekends other than just drink
* Socially liberal
* I like people who dress well. Not necc expensively, but I don't care for women wearing Winnie the Pooh sweatshirts from the 90s at the grocery store, like they do here
San Diego sounds about right for you. 80k a year is definitely more than enough for a single person. Fits nearly all of your criteria. But the culture really is laid back there. With regard to your third criterion, you aren't going to find as many of the type A/high strung/hyperambitious types you see in DC, SF, etc. At least that wasn't my experience during the years I lived there. But it's still a city of 1.3 million so it's not like you aren't going to get the whole set of 120 crayola crayons . Also it isn't a fashion show, and there really isn't a pervasive culture of dressing in the latest fashions, but I also didn't see very many Winnie the Pooh sweatshirts either.

Honestly, the only issue with for me in SD is the "sunshine tax" - relative to cost of living, jobs in many if not most industries tend to pay considerably less than they do in other metros, even LA/OC just right to the north. That was actually my experience. I got a job in LA paying 10k more a year doing the same exact kind of work I was doing in SD. If you are lucky enough that you can live wherever you want and your salary will be the same, then I would definitely say SD. But it's something worth looking into regardless of where you decide to live.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:36 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Southern California is not that expensive. If you don't get caught up in a materialist trap, SoCal is affordable and enjoyable.

There are areas (such as Huntington Beach) with good job opportunities where you can get an apartment by the beach for about $1200.

As far as politics go, SoCal is not that liberal. Most people are centrists.
Wait, hold up. What? Are you being serious? This is a fact?

What other areas are affordable then in SoCal? I'm curious to hear your answer.

I'm not discrediting you, as I'm sure you're correct, but I honestly want to know as someone who would like to live in SoCal one day maybe.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:34 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,818 times
South Georgia and Florida much cheaper than California,no earthquakes.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:48 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Wait, hold up. What? Are you being serious? This is a fact?

What other areas are affordable then in SoCal? I'm curious to hear your answer.

I'm not discrediting you, as I'm sure you're correct, but I honestly want to know as someone who would like to live in SoCal one day maybe.
You can live relatively comfortably, near the beach for about $65,000 per year. I have a lot of friends that make less than that, and they are quite happy.

If you share expenses with a roommate/spouse/significant other that makes the same, even better.

You wont have a huge house, but you may be able to afford a decent condo in a nice area.

Like I said, don't get caught up in the trap of keeping up with the Jones' (but its sure OK to aspire)

If you live by the beach, your heating/air conditioning charges will be minimal (we only run our heat between 6 am and 8 am, we don't have or need a/c)

Food and Beverage prices are comparable to what I was paying in Missouri (and the quality and variety of food is much better)

Our gasoline is about 20-40 cents more per gallon than the midwest (that's an extra 2-4 dollars per fill-up)

You will have a multitude of free outdoor activities and you should never get bored.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:46 AM

776 posts, read 1,673,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
And you won't.

Tampa area is far different from South FL. Many from the midwest are far more comfortable there these days. I don't find the people and culture horrifying at all though it certainly isn't SoCal but how many places really are? It has a dynamic job market plus some cool eclectic towns in Pinellas County by the water. I'd rate it right after SoCal and Houston for the OP. I've read many of your posts and pretty much agree with your experiences having been around the block more than a few times myself as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.