Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 01:07 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
As the title states...where was the most nervous or uncomfortable you have ever felt ...name the city and if you know or want to list the particular neighborhood and why you felt the way you did!

I have a few..

Downtown San Antonio a few blocks from the riverwalk and Alamo. My gf and I where stopped multiple times bye random people asking for money and would see them meet up at a corner and kind of follow us damn near all the way to the river walk. Just felt very desolate and alone downtown..and a very uneasy vibe.

Montgomery and Birmingham Alabama... Similar experience.

Leaving downtown Chicago (where I'm from) and making a few wring turns to see a few gangbangers sitting on a car with guns out.

Gainesville Florida. Slept in a motel 6 on a road trip and could hear what appeared to be a prostitiution ring with truckers going on.

Savannah Georgia...oh lord..make a few turns away from the beautiful downtown and you'll be in what seems like an endless ghetto.

Charleston South Carolina...again beautiful but the downtown felt very quiet for a weekend night. Kinda creepy. And then just blocks away from downtown area is a much more sketchy span of neighborhoods.

Block away from the strip in Vegas...gf didn't wanna cross the street so I went to the gas station to grab a drink or whatever and as I was coming back it appeared there was a car sitting in this abandoned parking lot right by her the whole time and as I crossed the street it took off..

Sure there are plenty more but that'll get it started.
I can't argue with any of your selections (though I'm surprised about Savannah; guess I never saw any of the bad parts when I was there), but I have to ask:

Have you ever been to Detroit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 05:10 PM

484 posts, read 882,843 times
The French Quarter in NOLA was actually rather frightening...even in the daytime. If I go back it will be solely because the food is excellent.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:53 PM

163 posts, read 525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Olneyville, Providence. It was random but pretty scary.
Providence, Scary? You must not have travelled much outside of New England.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:05 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brri View Post
Providence, Scary? You must not have travelled much outside of New England.
One of my friends, who is originally from New York City, went to Johnson and Wales in Providence and she did not like the city at all. She often felt unsafe. She thought it was very pretty but didn't feel comfortable there.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:43 AM

226 posts, read 284,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
II forgot another...I went to Houston to look at a car and it was all fine and dandy (southwest Houston?). I left to go home and I notice the salesman didn't give me my I'd back. So I turn around only maybe a few blocks away on a road that ran horizontial to i-10 and wow. It seriously looked like something out of a TV series. Pretty shocked and can only imagine what the northeast side looks like (That's apparently the bad side of Houston).
The bad parts of Houston aren't situated in one area of the city. They are scattered throughout the city. If you were in Southwest Houston, then I would say that area is worse than Northeast Houston.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 AM

895 posts, read 1,240,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I can't argue with any of your selections (though I'm surprised about Savannah; guess I never saw any of the bad parts when I was there), but I have to ask:

Have you ever been to Detroit?
I have not but Detroit seems like it would be a really neat place if it took care of its financial issues and could clean the place up (would take forever). It has a cool/unique location to the Midwest/Canada/and the northeast area...it has great architecture, great sports, and some nice suburbs from what I've heard. I heard they are selling houses to Michigan residents for 1,000 bucks...historic homes (granted need potential hundreds of thousands in repairs and are most likely in bad areas). Now if Detroit could bring people back, tear down and rebuild, get ahold of the crime and create jobs then it may have a chance. But there's a long...long way to go and it doesn't hurt that flint is down the road another hotbed for crime and destruction.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:58 AM

895 posts, read 1,240,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by land161 View Post
The bad parts of Houston aren't situated in one area of the city. They are scattered throughout the city. If you were in Southwest Houston, then I would say that area is worse than Northeast Houston.
I don't know...I was always under the impression that the northeast side was the bad side...ward 5 or something? Plus that's where a lot of poverty and crime/drugs take place because from my understanding a lot of people from new Orleans came after Katrina to this area. Never heard anything about the southwest part but while there will always be pockets in large cities of bad areas it just seems at the same time that its typically concentrated at the same time.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:01 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,529,181 times
SE DC especially at night.

New Orleans. Tried walking from my hotel to the French Quarter using a map. Went down some really scary streets.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:14 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Dayton, Ohio

Old 05-19-2014, 11:46 AM

163 posts, read 525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
One of my friends, who is originally from New York City, went to Johnson and Wales in Providence and she did not like the city at all. She often felt unsafe. She thought it was very pretty but didn't feel comfortable there.
That doesn't make the place "scary". Unsafe? Not a city in America that might feel like that in places. I grew up in RI and spent every summer in Brooklyn. Is your friend really from NYC? Comparing unsafe or scary between the two is like comparing the moon to Jupiter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.