Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 04:29 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,481 times

Advertisements

I always just say St. Louis, unless I'm explaining to someone else in the area, in which case I give the name of my suburb. Honestly, most of the metro identifies themselves under St. Louis, and list it as the city they live in even when most are from the burbs. I don't know if other cities have that or not, but it's really common here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 05:37 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,943,199 times
I always say I am from Lebanon Ohio since there are so many Lebanons.

I don't travel enough for it to be an issue.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:07 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,063,888 times
When I lived in Michigan I lived in Wyoming, which is Grand Rapids most populated suburb. But even in Michigan people don't often know of it and think you're talking about the state so I'd just say Grand Rapids.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
I grew up on Long Island*, I tell people I'm from Long Island not NYC. NYC is a different place, it doesn't seem right to claim I'm from New York City. I assume everyone knows where Long Island is, which could be a bad assumption.

*suburb of NYC, is that obvious to everyone?

Old 06-17-2014, 11:07 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
If I'm talking to somebody within the metro area I'll say which suburb I live in (Shaker Heights, OH)
If I'm talking to somebody outside of the state I'll say the metro area (Cleveland, OH)
If I'm talking to somebody in-state who may be somewhat familiar with Cleveland, I may say "East Side of Cleveland, in Shaker Heights"
If I'm talking to somebody from another country I may say I live in the Midwest or Ohio, and see how much is registering before adding any further
That's how I handle it, too.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:38 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I grew up on Long Island*, I tell people I'm from Long Island not NYC. NYC is a different place, it doesn't seem right to claim I'm from New York City. I assume everyone knows where Long Island is, which could be a bad assumption.

*suburb of NYC, is that obvious to everyone?
Yeah, I grew up in Fairfield County, Connecticut, and I would never think to tell someone I was from New York City.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:07 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
If I'm outside the NYC area, I say New Jersey, then sometimes I mention my county and if asked, my town. To someone in the NYC area, I say my county then town, sometimes giving a nearby smaller city for easy reference as to where exactly in my county my town is. To someone from New Jersey, I say my town.

I never say I'm from NYC. Even if I lived in New York, within the metro, I still wouldn't say I live in NYC - because I don't. I'll say near it or in the metro but I don't claim to be from NYC just because it's easier that way - because I'm not. Most people know half of NJ is the NYC metro, and if I specify I'm in north Jersey I think they'll know how near New York I am.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yeah, I grew up in Fairfield County, Connecticut, and I would never think to tell someone I was from New York City.
Unless you're in the southwestern part of the county, I feel like it's less connected to NYC than Long Island is (including culturally) even at the same distance.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:32 PM

110 posts, read 147,524 times
My situation is kinda different. I technically live in Lincoln, NE city limits but it doesn't operate like a normal city with suburbs because it isn't that big (around 250k). However Lincoln does have a lot of neighborhoods which is how locals designate where they are from. So here is mine:

In Nebraska: Lincoln
On business travel in the southeast: "Lincoln...the capital of NE." or "Lincoln Nebraska...about 45 from Omaha."
In Lincoln: Airpark area

Old 06-17-2014, 04:38 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times
I never say Virginia. I usually say Northern Virginia or the DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.