Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:59 AM

549 posts, read 848,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Well now...no one in Milwaukee says "North Side," or "South Side." "East Side" is a specific neighborhood north of downtown, sure (not the swath of the geographic east section of the city), but "South Side" is very well-defined neighborhoods like 3rd Ward, Bayview, Walkers, 5th Ward, etc., with different ethnicities and local festivals and demographic make-up. The same thing with "North Side," or "West Side," no one uses those terms if they are mentioning where they live. Every time I meet someone in Milwaukee and they tell me where they live, it's the neighborhood term, not a map-based direction. It's the most segregated city in the country, so obviously lines are drawn quite clearly here.

I'm not interested in whether Cincy has "more defined" neighborhoods at all, you very well may be right. But perhaps you haven't been in Milwaukee for a long time, or grew up in the suburbs? The reality isn't quite what you've described above.
I grew up on 83rd and Lisbon. I spent my childhood living on the North Side and I've always called it the North Side. I'm actually really curious where you're from because everyone I know always calls it that. I think I "technically" grew up in Kops Park, but I've never EVER said that to anyone to describe where I lived. I don't even think anyone could place where Kops Park is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 09:59 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Seattle is a great neighborhoody city with scattered urban nodes each with their own little character and little downtown like business districts. Some of the best examples are......

Queen Anne
Capital Hill
Wallingford
U District
Ballard
Fremont
West Seattle (Alaska Junction/Alki)

Old 06-30-2014, 10:05 AM

549 posts, read 848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Interesting how the big neighborhood cities here are all major river cities that grew up about the same time. Could it be because they all had longer growth periods due to the riverboat boom followed by the rail and heavy industrial boom, leading to different neighborhoods from different time periods? Just a theory.

Also, I feel like Cleveland is somewhat of a neighborhood city. I may be wrong though.

And for St. Louis and its neighborhoods, I'd say some of the defining neighborhoods would be the Central West End, Soulard, the Hill, Downtown, Grand Center, and Tower Grove South/East.
You're probably right about Cleveland. I haven't lived there, so I don't know exactly what the locals say, but I've always gotten the impression that the East Side is a big swath of land that isn't really well defined outside of Larchmere, Shaker Square, Little Italy, Hough and University Circle. I know there ARE defined neighborhoods, but when I asked someone where to find a Vietnamese restaurant once, I was told to go to 30th and Superior...NOT some neighborhood name. I still don't even know what that neighborhood is called.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:30 PM

676 posts, read 961,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Well now...no one in Milwaukee says "North Side," or "South Side." "East Side" is a specific neighborhood north of downtown, sure (not the swath of the geographic east section of the city), but "South Side" is very well-defined neighborhoods like 3rd Ward, Bayview, Walkers, 5th Ward, etc., with different ethnicities and local festivals and demographic make-up. The same thing with "North Side," or "West Side," no one uses those terms if they are mentioning where they live. Every time I meet someone in Milwaukee and they tell me where they live, it's the neighborhood term, not a map-based direction. It's the most segregated city in the country, so obviously lines are drawn quite clearly here.

I'm not interested in whether Cincy has "more defined" neighborhoods at all, you very well may be right. But perhaps you haven't been in Milwaukee for a long time, or grew up in the suburbs? The reality isn't quite what you've described above.
I disagree - "south side" is a general term used for basically anything south of I-94. I haven't heard/used "north side" as often, but it still wouldn't be that strange to hear it.

"West side" is not really used (except by me...!), and, as you mentioned, "east side" is pretty much a neighborhood.

Oh, and I grew up on the northwest side - Havenwoods, but if I were to tell anyone that's where I'm from, I would certainly get a blank stare in return.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:16 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
I disagree - "south side" is a general term used for basically anything south of I-94. I haven't heard/used "north side" as often, but it still wouldn't be that strange to hear it.

"West side" is not really used (except by me...!), and, as you mentioned, "east side" is pretty much a neighborhood.

Oh, and I grew up on the northwest side - Havenwoods, but if I were to tell anyone that's where I'm from, I would certainly get a blank stare in return.

Right. What you describe doesn't sound like a "neighborhood city".

For instance, people sometimes refer to "Western San Francisco" as being foggier than the rest, but no one would say they live in Western SF. They might say, "The Avenues" to denote that they live away from the Eastern (more dense and distinct neighborhoods) part of the City. But, likely that would be followed up by another question to determine whether the person was talking about The Richmond or The Sunset...and then, whether "Inner or Outer". The reason for the distinction lies in all those characteristics I listed. There are simply different vibes block-to-block for these neighborhoods.

In some cities like NYC, SF, Boston, and others, it's typically (though not always) fairly safe to characterize people by some neighborhoods.

For instance, most San Franciscans will have a generally accurate idea about a person's likes, tastes, interests, etc. if they know he comes from a neighborhood like The Mission, SOMA, The Marina, Noe Valley, The Haight, or a few others. This has little to do with the person's financial status. It's more about the general, distinctive character of the person's neighborhood. In other words, the neighborhood attracted that person, so therefor, that person probably shares some of its cultural values.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:19 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Pittsburgh is through and through a "Neighborhood" city, this city thrives on its neighborhood and would be completely dead if not for them. Each Neighborhood be very distinct from the next.

If not for being the Center of Business and Government.. Downtown Pittsburgh takes a serious backseat to the Neighborhoods.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/35405466-post120.html

SF and Boston would be my other "Neighborhood" cities.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:03 AM

869 posts, read 1,278,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
You're probably right about Cleveland. I haven't lived there, so I don't know exactly what the locals say, but I've always gotten the impression that the East Side is a big swath of land that isn't really well defined outside of Larchmere, Shaker Square, Little Italy, Hough and University Circle. I know there ARE defined neighborhoods, but when I asked someone where to find a Vietnamese restaurant once, I was told to go to 30th and Superior...NOT some neighborhood name. I still don't even know what that neighborhood is called.
Asiatown -- is what the locals call it: http://asiatowncleveland.com/map.aspx

Also, North Collinwood, Glenville, and Slavic Village are big ones for the east side. Many old ethnic neighborhoods have fallen from glory, but are still go by their names of Fairfax, Buckeye, Woodland, Kinsman, etc

The west side of Cleveland is a bit more intact and defined by neighborhood. Most people refer to where they live by neighborhood... "Edgewater," "Kamm's Corner," or "Ohio City"...instead of the intersection.

Last edited by usaf_1832; 07-02-2014 at 02:19 AM..

Old 07-02-2014, 02:07 AM

869 posts, read 1,278,118 times
Portland, OR is a neighborhood city as well

Pearl
Alphabet District
Mississippi
Hawthorne
Alberta
Hollywood
St. John's
Laurelhurst
Belmont
Goose Hollow

Old 07-02-2014, 07:40 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,069 times
For Philadelphia I can think of:

Passyunk Square
Queen's Village
Bella Vista
Society Hill
Pennsport
Washington Square West
Rittenhouse Square
Fairmount
University City
Manayunk
East Falls
West Mount Airy
Germantown
Port Richmond
Fishtown

...and the dozens of others.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:05 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
And Cleveland Park.
As well as North Cleveland Park, Brightwood, Shepard Park, Takoma, Brightwood Park, Bloomingdale/LeDroit Park, Georgetown, Logan Circle, Hillcrest, 16th Street Heights, Forest Hills, Glover Park, Woodridge, Fort Lincoln, and Eckington.

Travel outside of Downtown and people would be surprised at how much of a neighbourhood city DC can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.