Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 11:06 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Worst city name ever: Phenix, Georgia
I am going to assume you meant Phenix City, Alabama. If so, will say that it always was weird to me how it's spelled without an o, unlike the such city in Arizona.

And weird someone else didn't like Indian/Native Anerican city names. I personally like such city/town names myself(maybe with the exception of whatever Barrow, AK was renamed to, as sigh it seems too often I butcher the spelling and pronunciation of its new name), but to each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 12:14 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrrrr View Post
I like Sioux Falls and Sioux City, Grand Rapids, Cedar Rapids, and Cedar Falls because they sound pretty and are easily confused. I love the name Milwaukee, and Cincinnati has a ring to it too. And best for last Sheboygan, WI and Cheboygan, MI!
Fun fact for those who don’t know:
Sheboygan and Cheboygan are both pronounced the same, with the “sh” sound.
Sheboygan is the much nicer town.

Old 08-14-2021, 11:17 AM

957 posts, read 1,132,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I like Tampa but don't like Nampa. It's just one letter difference, but to me it makes all the difference in the world. I don't even know why; it just does.
I actually dislike more Nampa than Tampa

maybe Nampa sounds nasal?

Old 08-17-2021, 05:51 PM

754 posts, read 569,693 times
Favorite City Names
• Detroit
• Los Angeles
• Philadelphia
• Phoenix
• Anchorage

Least Favorite
• Washington D.C.- I like D.C., but didlike the name. It was always kind of confusing, as they added the Washington part to D.C. so it wouldn't be confused with Columbia Territory, but the ended up creating Washington state, so the name Washington DC is still ironically confusing. I was never the biggest fan of putting it in it's own district as opposed to a city in a state. Both these things make the name sound a little pretentious imo.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...same-name.html

• New York City (When it's called just "New York" & especially when it's called New York, New York) - I just think it is redundant to name the city exactly the same as the state. I'd rather New York City just be called New York City all the time rather than the NY or NY, NY designations. I think it sounds more distinct & less redundant.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
I actually dislike more Nampa than Tampa

maybe Nampa sounds nasal?
Ugh I don't like either of them, but this reminds me of the name Ethel Thayer - which when you say it sounds like you have a lisp!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.