Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:09 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
What puts Istanbul over Chicago or LA?
Istanbul is much larger, denser and more booming than either Chicago or LA, much older and more historically important, more globally iconic, and the largest city in all of Europe.

I'd say Istanbul is extremely important. Really only NYC would match or top Istanbul here in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
This is the guy who argued exhaustively that Chicago isn't even in San Fran's class.
Obviously you're lying, as I just wrote in the very last post that Chicago and SF are in the exact same class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Just file him away as a Chicago hater without the ability to make any objective statements when it comes to Chicago and I'm sure many other cities he doesn't like for whatever personal reasons.
And obviously you're lying here too, as, again, I did no such thing.

Don't insult others or make up stuff because you're ignorant about places outside the U.S. like Istanbul.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Los Angeles, Chicago and Washington DC typically rank higher than Istanbul, Moscow and Shanghai on global city metrics - even though that is not the same as "world class." But, something to consider.
There is no such thing as "global city metrics" so I don't know which rankings you're referring to. That GaWC nonsense that people always bring up has nothing to do with whether a city is global; it's talking about big business interconnectivity.

And I can't imagine that those first three cities would rank above your second three cities? On what basis except for median income would a Washington DC be ranked above an Istanbul as a city?

Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
There is no such thing as "global city metrics" so I don't know which rankings you're referring to.
Here are a few different ones, for example:

http://www.atkearney.com/documents/1...6-4c8eaf984cd5

The 25 Most Economically Powerful Cities in the World - CityLab

http://www.economistinsights.com/sit...ot%20Spots.pdf

Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 AM

These aren't ranking what we're talking about.

They're just private companies assembling various data points. They have nothing to do with whether a city is world class.

It's very easy to make a list of cities using various weights. But I have never seen a list that ranks cities according to their world class status, and don't even know how one would do this.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:29 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
These aren't ranking what we're talking about.

They're just private companies assembling various data points. They have nothing to do with whether a city is world class.

It's very easy to make a list of cities using various weights. But I have never seen a list that ranks cities according to their world class status, and don't even know how one would do this.
Yes, this is true. What exactly is required for a city to be world class? I don't think there's a definition most people can agree on.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:52 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times
Quote:
Istanbul is much larger, denser and more booming than either Chicago or LA, much older and more historically important, more globally iconic, and the largest city in all of Europe.

I'd say Istanbul is extremely important. Really only NYC would match or top Istanbul here in the U.S.
Chicago has a GDP of $524 billion, LA 790 billion. Istanbul has a GDP of 301 billion. There is no point in even comparing it to NYC.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:33 AM

15 posts, read 50,797 times
Quote:

Istanbul is Alpha-. Both Chicago and LA are more powerful.

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confuzzledmississippian View Post
Istanbul is Alpha-. Both Chicago and LA are more powerful.

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There is no such world class city ranking, and the website you're referring to has nothing to do with the thread topic...

Old 07-08-2014, 12:58 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
There is no such world class city ranking, and the website you're referring to has nothing to do with the thread topic...
So what kind of metric would you use in assessing whether or not the three cities are already world class or can do more to become so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.