Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:20 PM

17 posts, read 21,600 times

Advertisements

I've lived in both California and Arizona (Riverside and Phoenix, respectively) for equal amounts of my life. I'm having a really hard time figuring out where I want to spend my college years. I realize I can't visit everywhere that I want to (sadly) and so I'm having a crisis on; what if I'm missing out on the perfect place for me?

Of places I've visited, I absolutely love: San Luis Obispo (California), Portland (Maine), Kingston (Rhode Island), Danbury (Connecticut), and Cape Cod (Massachusetts).

Places I'm interested in but haven't seen: Portland (Oregon), Dallas (Texas)
I've heard a lot of good things about Oregon from my family, as well as Northern Texas.

Some things about me: I hate hate hate heat and humidity. I hate Southern California and I hated Arizona. (No offense to anyone who loves these places! ) I'm going into college at 17 years old (barely) so I'm rather young. I'm more on the liberal end of things, but disagree with some things that a lot of liberals agree with. I'd prefer a very safe, open environment, no racial discrimination/no discrimination against LGBT, etc.

Out of those, Rhode Island and Maine appealed the most to me, but I'm really worried about the winters. If I thought a desert girl could survive in Maine, I think I'd move in a heartbeat, but I'm not sure if I'd even live through a winter. lol

So, any tips on any of the places I've mentioned, or places that you guys think I'd like/should look into? If they're within ~a day's car ride distance from Southern California (which sadly is only Northern California, Arizona, Oregon, and Nevada) I can probably drive to visit them. I'm going in undeclared, so I can't really use my major to help me choose a university/place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 09:49 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
If you hate humidity, then why are you considering places in New England? New England gets quite humid in the summer. Today here in CT it was very humid. Of course, it only really lasts a few months. But even in the fall and spring, the air is often damp. Anywhere in the eastern U.S. is going to have it's fair share of humidity. But in the South it's even worse, because of the extended periods of heat AND humidity combined. In the Northeast, it's only a few months. The rest of the year is mild or cold. You would have to be okay with spending 10 minutes on some mornings just removing snow or ice from your car, if it's parked outside. Not a big deal though. It maybe occurs about 8-10 times per winter. There can be 3-4 weeks with absolutely no snow, too. However, four seasons can make life more interesting and less boring, because each month is slightly different from the preceding month, weather wise.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
You think of SoCal and Arizona as humid? The southwest in the least humid area in all the US.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:31 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
I'm sure you've been to Flagstaff since you're from Arizona... Supposedly the Front Range in Colorado has weather just like Flag. You might like Denver. Or even Flagstaff itself you might like. Flagstaff gets a ton of snow though, but I'm sure it's just something to get used to (don't know if Denver gets as much).

Salt Lake City might be a good option to consider too. Or Albuquerque. I thought both of these two weren't very cold or very hot based on numbers. ABQ gets less snow if that's important.

Sacramento? San Francisco? Boise?

Portland and Seattle aren't hot but are more humid than what you are used to. I doubt it's humidity is "uncomfortable" though like it is back east. But from what I understand Portland and Seattle are VERY different from Phoenix and SoCal. I'm talking in nearly every way possible it seems (socialness, COL, politics, lifestyles, etc.)... So how much do you hate where you're from?

Unfortunately, it sounds like you want somewhere in the interior West, but there are only so many places.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:36 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Denver?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:40 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
New England & anything east of the Mississippi River is hot and humid in the summer. Dallas is brutally hot for several months of the year.

San Louis Obispo is the best climate of all those you've offered. Go look at Portland but it's on the other end of the spectrum- lots of rain,drizzle and fog for three fourths of the year.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:50 PM

17 posts, read 21,600 times
I don't hate SoCal and Arizona because of humidity, I just put those sentences next to each other. Group the hatred. lol. I've been to Colorado, I don't really like it all that much. I was up in the New England area a few weeks ago and although it is really humid, it didn't bother me as much since it wasn't 100 degrees and humid like inland California. I'm more worried about surviving winters if I were to go there, though like :-D said, it's probably something to just get used to. I really liked Flagstaff when I was younger, so now that I think about it, I should check out some unis or colleges near there.
I don't like Sacramento or SF. ): I've never been to Boise (or Idaho actually) but I'll look into it. My parents really like Idaho so if I suggested a road trip I think they'd squeal.
I'm looking at places that are different from where I live because I don't really like where I live.
I can deal with the brutal heat of Dallas, I think it wouldn't bother me any more than Arizona did. Though iirc Texas is drier? Maybe?

Old 07-24-2014, 01:30 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
Check out Reed College in Portland,ORE

It's a splendid liberal arts school.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:20 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
[quote=Ehyn;35783687]
I'm going into college at 17 years old (barely) so I'm rather young. I'm more on the liberal end of things, but disagree with some things that a lot of liberals agree with. I'd prefer a very safe, open environment, no racial discrimination/no discrimination against LGBT, etc.
/QUOTE]

Climate issues aside, I would recommend Boston. It would be an idyllic place to attend college in an environment that fits your personal views quite well and with umpteen different colleges to choose from.

Studying in Boston: America

Old 07-24-2014, 07:08 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
You're liberal, hate heat, hate humidity, and have residency in California which houses the best post-secondary college/university systems in the country.

Uh, pick a campus in the CSU or UC system close to the coast and call it a day.

This was the easiest question ever in the history of C-D!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.