Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 12:54 PM

26 posts, read 36,938 times

Advertisements

Basically, I am looking for adult hippie paradise. Lush green, impressive mountains, lovely people, good schools, good employment opportunities, low crime, snow-but-not-so-much-rain, tons of sun...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 12:56 PM

37 posts, read 52,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13stars View Post
Basically, I am looking for adult hippie paradise. Lush green, impressive mountains, lovely people, good schools, good employment opportunities, low crime, snow-but-not-so-much-rain, tons of sun...
Well most of that doesn't sound like hippie exclusively. Sounds like stuff everybody wants. lol

Have you been to Greenville SC, about 90 minutes south of Asheville? It fits what you just said there.

I think the Monte Sano area of Huntsville Alabama does too.

Is SLC really that brown? I've heard that about Boise.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:00 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,072,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13stars View Post
I keep trying to accept SLC as an option - but it is JUST SO BROWN. I have a friend who lives among beautiful aspens and moose in one of the canyons there and it is beautiful, but I just don't know that I could do the brown..
Brown?? Maybe in outlying areas but in Salt Lake City proper I find it quite green in desirable neighborhoods like Sugar House, 9th and 9th, 15th and 15th, Liberty Park, The Avenues and around the University of Utah.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aok7 View Post
Well most of that doesn't sound like hippie exclusively. Sounds like stuff everybody wants. lol

Have you been to Greenville SC, about 90 minutes south of Asheville? It fits what you just said there.

I think the Monte Sano area of Huntsville Alabama does too.

Is SLC really that brown? I've heard that about Boise.
Yeah, I want what everybody wants, but don't care much about the beach. =) I do want the hippie vibe, and vegan-friendly, but that is probably lower on the list than the climate. Greenville is nice, but doesn't suit us. I can't imagine living in Alabama, but I have never been. I will add that to the research pile. SLC was ALL BROWN when I last there, summer 2010.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:03 PM

Knoxville, Chattanooga might work. Near mountains aspect is there.

Nooga has the bigger hills around downtown which is on a big river. From Lookout Mountain you can see 7 or 8 other states. They have this Rock Garden thing up there that is quite impressive.

In Huntsville you can drive over this huge mountain every day. Never seen anything quite like that in a city on the east coast.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
What about Frederick MD? Put you closer to the mountains, snowskiing, sure some whitewater somewhere, etc. Frederick has a nice downtown area. You are still close to DC for weekend visits.
Hmm, an interesting choice and a possible contender in my opinion. It has a great restored downtown area that while not hippie per se is certainly progressive.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Neither has that lush green the OP wants and Chattanooga can tend toward brown in fact.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Neither has that lush green the OP wants and Chattanooga can tend toward brown in fact.
Really? I dunno about that. I think both areas tend to be pretty wet much of the year. They seem as green as Asheville. Knoxville is right across the Apps from Asheville.

I don't care for Knoxville much myself. Nooga might be doable.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Nooga has the bigger hills around downtown which is on a big river. From Lookout Mountain you can see 7 or 8 other states. They have this Rock Garden thing up there that is quite impressive.
We have talked about Chattanooga as well. I haven't been since I was a kid, but it registered and stuck with me. My husband has been more recently and liked it as well. Debating whether to look into Gatlinburg, too. All this said, our gut instinct is to be quite a bit further west, and decidedly not in the South or the East Coast. Of course, that makes the move harder.

As to Frederick, MD... We have passed through, but don't suppose it ever really interested us a lot. As much as DC has to offer, we're looking to get out of the area.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Hmm, an interesting choice and a possible contender in my opinion. It has a great restored downtown area that while not hippie per se is certainly progressive.
Well, we all have different definitions of progressive. Not a real big fan of Democrats hijacking that word. lol It is what it is.

Frederick is fairly conservative area though. All of Maryland is really, outside of Baltimore, Columbia and Montgomery counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.