Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:59 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times

Advertisements

I think Louisville is a better choice than Lexington. I associate Lexington with students or the high end horsey crowd. It may well have an artsy scene but the OP could do better.

The NC and SC cities may be good choices. Curious why you named Huntsville? I associate it with families and scientists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 01:37 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I think Louisville is a better choice than Lexington. I associate Lexington with students or the high end horsey crowd. It may well have an artsy scene but the OP could do better.

The NC and SC cities may be good choices. Curious why you named Huntsville? I associate it with families and scientists.
With Huntsville, I thought about how it is under the radar, but fits the city population and area criteria. It has multiple colleges/universities, a highly educated population that comes from various places in the country and world and it is a growing city/area. It appears to already have a well rounded arts scene as well.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:45 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
Quote:

Huntsville has a very good for its size/lack of reputation local arts and music scene. Several Huntsville musicians have moved in-and-out of Milwaukee.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:09 PM

15 posts, read 22,908 times
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I see a lot of mention of cities in the south. I am a bit skeptical of being a northerner and moving to the south and fitting in, though. Maybe it's just preconceived conceptions?
I will admit I've only been as far as NC and haven't spent any time downtown in the bigger cities in the south. Still, I was along the coast in NC/SC kind of carolina beach/myrtle beach area last year and it was ok enough. Palm trees made me pretty happy, haha. But not sure how the music/art scene there compares to southern new england. I'm also not very religious, conservative or family oriented, which I do associate with the southern states.

Last edited by mitsene; 08-08-2014 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 08-08-2014, 04:09 PM

87 posts, read 180,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
For a while, there has been a fairly good music scene in Milwaukee (though it has died down considerably as of late), and people from CA, LA, TN, NY, and other states were moving in at a good clip. Not to mention the traditional northern and central IL folks who didn't want to go to Chicago. This generally happened when having a good time coming through with their bands, staying a few days, hosting Milwuakee bands in their region, etc. Because it's so under-the-radar to move to a place like Milwaukee, people seemed to get excited whenever someone moved up here. I'm sure it's the same for other places that aren't seen nationally as a place to move for the local culture, like Columbus or Chattanooga or even real oddballs like Carbondale or Las Cruces). Places like Brooklyn, Austin, San Fran and so on definitely hate on newbies.
columbus is growing specifically because if its culture

Old 08-08-2014, 04:57 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:
My advice is to look for a city with an artsy community that doesn't have artsy as its primary identity.
EXCELLENT advice. Cities like Austin and Portland have been heavily saturated due to overhyping, and I think that's most likely why so many long-time locals in these cities have become suspicious of newcomers.

I think your best bet is to look at some of the more 'under the radar' kind of places, where there is a healthy arts/music/intellectual community still developing, without much hype or fanfare. I honestly don't know where these cities are, but from what I've heard, Louisville seems to be an up-and-comer, as well as Pittsburgh, and Columbus, OH.

In my experience, Minneapolis-St. Paul has a well-established scene that isn't being saturated or exploited... and my impression there was that it's not xenophobic at all.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I'm also not very religious, conservative or family oriented, which I do associate with the southern states.
While you'll find religious, conservative or family oriented people in all the cities mentioned (even the northern ones), the cities mentioned are big enough to foster a pretty wide variety of viewpoints.

Quote:
I am a bit skeptical of being a northerner and moving to the south and fitting in, though. Maybe it's just preconceived conceptions?
Yes. I just saw 3 threads in the Nashville forum from NYers moving south. I think what happens is a few northerners move to a city, discover it dooes not fit the strereotypes, their friends join them and so it begins. See Austin and Asheville.

These people claim to be "open minded" when in fact they are the opposite.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:12 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Savannah?

Old 08-08-2014, 08:34 PM

Great suggestion. And Savannah has palm trees!

Old 08-09-2014, 12:55 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.