Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 11:20 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
I thought the Main Line was mostly WASP until after WWII.
you may actually be right - I was thinking more in the time sequence as the areas in the NE and Busks were more recent migrations

phila/four-families

So for the Jews it would be west to mainline, spattering East to Cherry Hill NJ as one example and NE to NE Philly/Eastern Mongomery county and Bucks so they went many directions

Same with Ilalians with maybe a high concentration in S Jersey and Delaware counties but still numerous migration to Montgomery and even Bucks counties so maybe no core movement

Irish migration seems even more fragmented here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 11:30 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,441 times
Irish have been in the US longer and are a lot more assimilated, even in the Northeast. The whole "Irish pride" thing seems to be mostly among working class Irish. People of Irish ancestry in affluent suburbs don't really stand out much in my experience.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
That's probably similar to Westchester and maybe north shore Nassau* — mostly WASP until after WWII, then became heavily Jewish, in parts majority Jewish.

*Include the Eggs from Great Gatsby

Old 08-15-2014, 12:18 PM

Interestingly the Jewish population has declined quite a bit in Nassau County: in 1957 it was 329,000 (28% of the population), the most recent estimate is 230,000 (17%).

Westchester was 15% Jewish in 2011, the same percentage as in 1957, rising from 116,000 to 135,000, although it was was more centered in New Rochelle half a century ago.

Meanwhile Westchester was proportionately more Italian than Long Island in 1960 but now it is less Italian.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Interestingly the Jewish population has declined quite a bit in Nassau County: in 1957 it was 329,000 (28% of the population), the most recent estimate is 230,000 (17%).
That might follow the general decline in white population. Nassau is 63% white non-hispanic as of 2010, was 97% in 1960.

Last edited by nei; 08-15-2014 at 01:23 PM..

Old 08-15-2014, 02:24 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Irish have been in the US longer and are a lot more assimilated, even in the Northeast. The whole "Irish pride" thing seems to be mostly among working class Irish. People of Irish ancestry in affluent suburbs don't really stand out much in my experience.
I don't know about that, as I grew up in an area that was at the very least solidly middle class with a high Irish American population and there still were displays of pride. It may just depend on where one lives too.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:31 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
It was. And even after, the Jewish population was overwhelmingly concentrated in the Eastern half of Lower Merion Township until the '80s and '90s. Now, Gladwyne/Haverford/Rosemont/Villanova are pretty mixed Jewish/WASP. Radnor's Jewish community is growing as well.

LM's Jews tended to come from the wealthier parts of Wynnefield/Overbrook. The less affluent members of those communities mostly favored Havertown and Broomall. Oak Lane Jews migrated to Cheltenham/Eastern Abington/Jenkintown (and later Lower Moreland and beyond into Bucks County). Germantown/Mt. Airy and Norristown Jews started communities in Plymouth Meeting/Lafayette Hill (and possibly parts of Upper Dublin as well, though I could be mistaken about this). Far NE Philly was initially a magnet destination for Jews throughout the city (South/West/North/Northwest/Lower Northeast), and from there, many migrated to Bucks County, as KidPhilly noted, many of them relatively recent arrivals from the former USSR.

This is just scratching the surface.

It's worth noting that all of these communities experienced cross-pollination (e.g., my Dad, a NE Philly/Cheltenham Jew, and my mom, a Havertown Jew, raised me and my brother in LM).

Old 08-15-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That might follow the general decline in white population. Nassau is 63% white non-hispanic as of 2010, was 97% in 1960.
Right but their share held up in Westchester in spite of a decline of the white population there too.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know about that, as I grew up in an area that was at the very least solidly middle class with a high Irish American population and there still were displays of pride. It may just depend on where one lives too.
Do you mean an area filled with police, firefighters and city workers? Or an area populated more by lawyers? Were a majority of your neighbors college graduates?

Old 08-16-2014, 05:07 PM

Detroit traditionally there was an east-west split in the city, with Poles, Italians, Jews and African Americans starting out on the east side.

Poles and Italians moved north mostly to the northeastern suburbs of Macomb County. Jews shifted from the east side to the west side in the interwar years and continued north/northwest to Oakland County. The expansion of the Black community led to their expansion all over most of the city of Detroit and into many inner-ring suburbs. Detroit is particularly notorious for "white flight" which was accelerated after the 1967 riots.

There are also large Arab communities in the Detroit area - Chaldeans in the northern inner suburbs I believe and Arab Muslims in Dearborn, but these are mostly post-1965 immigrants.

I'm not sure about the southern and western suburbs of Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.