Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 04:48 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Flavor for one. St.Louis just does not feel cosmopolitan to me.
The southern and country feeling is apparent.
Sympnies and etc can't make up for it.
oh, puleeeeeeze-rolling eyes in disdain-
he's probably never even been there.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
I would say st. louis is probably the closest in similarity to chicago through urban makeup and history (dense neighborhoods, economic growth of 1900s, cultural impact on american culture, etc)...maybe detroit, cleveland as well, but it IS farther south and has a southern vibe to it. You can't deny it - chuck berry, mississippi blues and jazz, muddy water, the city definately has southern influences...
-gasp-, you mean all my music professors lied to me when they told me Chicago was seminal to the growth of jazz and blues, due to the influx of blacks from the south???? Tell me it isnt so..... sorry chitown, but you missed the mark just a bit with that one.
BTW, widwestdude, I got my masters in music from Washington University , in that little ole hick town, STL.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:02 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
-gasp-, you mean all my music professors lied to me when they told me Chicago was seminal to the growth of jazz and blues, due to the influx of blacks from the south???? Tell me it isnt so..... sorry chitown, but you missed the mark just a bit with that one.
BTW, widwestdude, I got my masters in music from Washington University , in that little ole hick town, STL.
\

Come on! Don't go sensitive on me!
You got your opinions, I got mine.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Chicago's world class status would tend to disagree and dislike such a comparison with St. Louis.
Sorry, I stick with the "far" word IMO.
I'm not being sensitive at all.
We dont really care for being compared to Chicago, btw....

Old 02-13-2008, 05:28 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
He's entitled to his opinion.

Chicago is much bigger, so it probably has more amenities and stuff, but for a smaller city St. Louis is great.

They're obviously not exactly the same, though.

I've never been to Chicago, so I can't say that for sure. Still, I love St. Louis, even though I don't live there.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:13 PM

395 posts, read 1,375,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I'm not being sensitive at all.
We dont really care for being compared to Chicago, btw....

but aren't you from southeast missouri?

Old 02-13-2008, 08:21 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
Her family's from St. Louis I believe.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:26 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
census data:

can you show other pictures besides the ones you keep showing of louisville??

Its the same picture all the time of that one street with "bombay" restaurant. We get it, there's an indian restaurant in louisville. cool.
Maybe he exaggerates some, but Bardstown Road in Louisville IS like a scaled down Clark Street. I used to live in Chicago and few there realize the amount of culture in a much smaller city like Louisville. Of course comparing anything in Louisville to Michigan Ave is laughable, but I think Bardstown Road in Louisville is very comprable to Clark Street...multiple bars, every ethnic restuarant you can think of, hip boutiques, chains, trendy Italian ice, eclectic hippies and hookah bars open all night...you name it you can find it. I think you know very well the 3 miles of urbanity of Bardstown Road, its dense neighborhoods with a huge Olmstead Park, luxury condos, and victorian mansions as well as a few parkside highrises is much more than just an "indian restaurant." Oh, and thats an Indian grocery, not a restaurant by the way. Theres a new Indian place across the street as well as one 5 blocks down

Old 02-13-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
but aren't you from southeast missouri?
6th generation St Louisan,my dads side, my moms family is from SE Mo,thats what you must be thinking of, lived in the area til I was 29. you know I was just giving you a poke, right? Chicago has such a great jazz and blues heritage, just like STL, and it stems from the same mass migration.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:25 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates1234 View Post
I'm a lifelong Chicago resident, have been everywhere, and still have not seen anything to approximate Chicago besides NYC, which is mutual per the many NYC relocatees, who would move nowhere but here per the lifestyle they are used to. Here is a clue to what you are looking for. A city must have a certain threshold of density before it is able to offer a tremendous number of cultural amenities, cosmopolitan atmosphere, financial stength, and recreational opportunities, not to mention an excellent public transporation grid. There are only two metro areas with a density over 10,000 people per square mile. and that is NYC and Chicago. No other metro area in the USA comes close. Only Toronto in Canada would count as well per that number. Under that 10,000, and you just don't have the numbers to maintain and build the complex you see in Chicago and NYC. Even LA doesn't have that same density, per the high percentage of single family homes. Sad to say, neither NYC or Chicago has that ambiant weather you are looking for. The closest cities in anything approximating a warm weather environment and the cultural/financial complex of NYC/Chicago would be Los Angeles, of course, along with Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, with tons of culture AND rec opportunities, and a huge financial presence per South America and Hispanic world players(and, unfortunately, the leader in drug cartels as well, as anyone who has seen any Miami Vice episodes/Scarface would be familiar with((You cockaroach!)). Forget any Texas cities, who don't spend a penny on public resources, but are more than happy to manipulate commodities markets(Enron). Also, Bible belt red states aren't that fun or enlightened, unless you consider seeing James Hagee at a mega-church as a cultural event. You can forget Phoenix as well, a hellish cultural wasteland of big-box franchises. The Bay area, while hardly tropical, has decent weather, and a cultural/financial complex reasonably close to LA/Chicago/NYC, and might be a possibility as well, but San Francisco, per growth restrictions, is only 700,000, so much of the culture/finance and such is spread out throughout the region.
Sorry you're wrong in two different statements..no other city has the Density of Chicago , San Francisco Density is 16,000 people per square mile
and Boston Density is just a little less than Chicago's at 12,500 people per square mile. Also that crack about no other city has as much to do around and about town as Chicago but N.Y.C. is untrue Los Angeles has more going on than Chicago does..Sorry!!!!So if you really sincerely want to replace Chicago with a Chicago with better weather if would have to be San Francisco which i lovingly call the 1:10 scale model of New York City and
Chicago hated Rival Los Angeles CA. By the way Los Angeles Urban Density is between 8,000 and 9,000 people per square Mile and only N.Y.C. , S.F. Cali
Boston and Chicago can beat that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.