Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 12:56 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times

Advertisements

Now that we've discussed some interesting museums, let's turn the tables. Say you were put in charge of building a museum that told about the history of your town in the last 20 years.

What would you put in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 01:13 PM

107 posts, read 350,280 times
Easy, just build a target and call it a museum. When you live in the suburbs, that is as interesting as it gets.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:49 PM

138 posts, read 513,391 times
As a New Yorker I would want to build the gentrification museum that would discuss how working and middle class people are being pushed further and further out of the city. Actually I would try to present different sides of the issue in terms of crime reduction, image enhancement and quality of life improvements, but also portray the human toll for the non-wealthy of NY.

Then again, that museum could probably be built in a number of places. I now live in Austin which is great except that some people want to turn it into NYC with huge residential sky scrapers. Actually in Austin I would build the Live Music Museum which would be a music venue in itself and also chronicle the growth of the music scene in this unique place.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:53 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,534 times
A double-wide moblile home!!! We already have a bar here called "Double Wide", why not put a museum in one?

Last edited by TXTwizter; 12-26-2007 at 03:26 PM..

Old 12-26-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnedYinzer View Post
Easy, just build a target and call it a museum. When you live in the suburbs, that is as interesting as it gets.
So what particular suburbs do you live in? Orange County, CA is suburban, but that would probably be a very different museum from most suburbs.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:13 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Our town is building a museum to house relics and old photos of our valley in the pioneer days.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:30 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returnedYinzer View Post
Well, as long as it's one of those Targets that has a Starbucks in it...

The museum about Washington DC since Y2K would include:

1. Several rolls of duct tape--the "miracle" substance that we were told would save our lives in case of hurricanes, nuclear strikes, snipers, or terrorist attack.

2. A little zoo with critters that will no longer be found around here: orioles, blue crabs, honest politicians...
Oh, an aquarium of the "snakehead", showing that it was once a relatively small fish (before it suddenly arrived in the Potomac a few years back). Because in 20 more years it will probably be the size of the Loch Ness monster.

3. Architectural plans of all the designs for the new stadium. And what happened to the various sites that were NOT selected for the stadium.

4. Cell phone/IPOD exhibit. Years from now people will wonder how we survived with such primitive devices...

5. A section of the beltway, carefully preserved next to the section of the Berlin Wall. Because (hopefully) we will find better ways to transport people, and the beltway will one day be obsolete. The whole structure will be torn down and turned into a giant park.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:46 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
I'd build a three-flat and house in it a hotdog stand, a bar with no name and just an 'old style' sign out front run by a cranky middle-aged Polish lady, a corrupt politician from Bridgeport, a mid-twenties ditzy blonde wearing Prada spiked heels, a frat boy, a hipster, a blues musician, a plumber, and an uptight finance guy in a navy blue suit. It would be the best real-world episode ever.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:59 AM

492 posts, read 2,371,699 times
For my museum in Youngstown, Ohio, I would have three exhibits: 1) a watch, to symbolize the unemployment in this town, as residents have no way to pass the time; 2) a bulldozer, to show how the city is literally tearing itself down; and 3) a gravestone as a tribute to the hundreds who have lost their lives in senseless killings.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
For my museum in Youngstown, Ohio, I would have three exhibits: 1) a watch, to symbolize the unemployment in this town, as residents have no way to pass the time; 2) a bulldozer, to show how the city is literally tearing itself down; and 3) a gravestone as a tribute to the hundreds who have lost their lives in senseless killings.
Sounds lovely and uplifting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.