Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:45 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times

Advertisements

Seattle Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 07:54 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I've never been to either so I didn't realize Albuquerque was so small!

As long as there are size misperceptions and you hadn't thought specifically about Nebraska thought you might be interested in this:

"The City of Omaha has a population of 409,416 and is surrounded by a number of suburban communities. The population of the Omaha metropolitan statistical area (MSA) is 807,305 with over 1.1 million within a 60-minute drive. The Omaha (MSA) consists of Douglas, Sarpy, Saunders, Cass and Washington counties in Nebraska and Pottawattamie, Harrison and Mills counties in Iowa." Source: Omaha Chamber of Commerce (broken link)
Also one of those suburban communities it talks about is Papillion which was just this year named the 6th Best Place to Live in the US by CNN/Money Magazine. Papillion is also headquarters for InfoUSA.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:55 PM

266 posts, read 911,561 times
You might look at some of the other California cities--I think San Diego and LA are a little less expensive than Silicon Valley. Seattle, DC and Research Triangle, NC, would be all be good, and I imagine Phoenix and Dallas would be too. I live in Albuquerque, and from what I've heard, some of the big high-tech companies here are not hiring now. Even though I like Albuquerque, I think high-tech career opportunities are a little more limited here than in some bigger cities.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:39 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
As long as there are size misperceptions and you hadn't thought specifically about Nebraska thought you might be interested in this:

"The City of Omaha has a population of 409,416 and is surrounded by a number of suburban communities. The population of the Omaha metropolitan statistical area (MSA) is 807,305 with over 1.1 million within a 60-minute drive. The Omaha (MSA) consists of Douglas, Sarpy, Saunders, Cass and Washington counties in Nebraska and Pottawattamie, Harrison and Mills counties in Iowa." Source: Omaha Chamber of Commerce (broken link)
Also one of those suburban communities it talks about is Papillion which was just this year named the 6th Best Place to Live in the US by CNN/Money Magazine. Papillion is also headquarters for InfoUSA.
Omaha is definitely a nice city. It might be a little cold for the OP's taste but it is a nice city, much nicer than most people are aware.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:08 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
SoCal is nice but the IT market is quite flooded there. Getting a job is going to be tough anywhere in California if you are in IT. Everybody keeps pumping up Omaha. I have a friend who lives there and he says its very nice.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:51 AM

741 posts, read 2,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I've never been to either so I didn't realize Albuquerque was so small!
That's probably because its not.

The population of the city of ABQ is just over 500,000. The population of the entire metro area is just over 800,000.

While ABQ is not as big as Austin (city size: 700,000; metro size: 1,500,000), I don't know that I would classify it as "small".

And I'll take the weather in ABQ over just about any place in the country. Additionally, the politics are pretty moderate here too!

Chap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.