Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:56 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,050,791 times

Advertisements

Let me go over facts as to why Louisiana is not a true Southern state.

It's heavily Catholic. And we all know that the South is not too fond of them.
It's heavily French (and the French are more "Northern" since they are prominent in Northern New England and Michigan). And we know that the South is mostly English and Scottish. So what that there are many Blacks in Louisiana? This doesn't make a State Southern only of course when it is combined with non-ethnic Whites (whatever that means). What other part of the South do people have ties to French culture? It's like eating sauerkraut or something. It's just so FOREIGN to the un-cultured South!!!
Their cuisine is vastly different from the other regions of the South. I am of course talking New Orleans here but if singular cities can be used to declare a state's non-Southern character then New Orleans will be used as an example.
The New Orleans dialect is very different from the rest of the South. Ever heard Yat?
Jazz. Jazz makes me think New Orleans of course but it also makes me think Chicago.
Too much seafood. When I think of the South I think grits and fried chicken with sweet tea.

Louisiana is not Southern.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:00 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,245,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Let me go over facts as to why Louisiana is not a true Southern state.

It's heavily Catholic. And we all know that the South is not too fond of them.
It's heavily French (and the French are more "Northern" since they are prominent in Northern New England and Michigan). And we know that the South is mostly English and Scottish. So what that there are many Blacks in Louisiana? This doesn't make a State Southern only of course when it is combined with non-ethnic Whites (whatever that means). What other part of the South do people have ties to French culture? It's like eating sauerkraut or something. It's just so FOREIGN to the un-cultured South!!!
Their cuisine is vastly different from the other regions of the South. I am of course talking New Orleans here but if singular cities can be used to declare a state's non-Southern character then New Orleans will be used as an example.
The New Orleans dialect is very different from the rest of the South. Ever heard Yat?
Jazz. Jazz makes me think New Orleans of course but it also makes me think Chicago.
Too much seafood. When I think of the South I think grits and fried chicken with sweet tea.

Louisiana is not Southern.

This is where I think you're wrong. The south is far more diverse than most folks give it credit for. The upper south is different from the deep south, the far SE Piedmont region is different from say the Bayous of Louisiana or the Big Thicket of east Texas or the south-central heartland of Tennessee and Kentucky. yet there is enough there to tie it all together and label it "southern"

Besides, Catholics are a minority in the south but religion in my opinion doesn't make anyone "less" southern. Neither does politics, it's dialect, accents, cultural affinities and overtones that bring it all together.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:03 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times
Louisiana is different from other Southern states, but it is still most definitely Southern. In fact it's Deep South.

And most of Louisiana is the same as neighboring states. Only southern Louisiana is different. Really you're not describing the state as a whole, but just the part south of I-10 (which is like 15-20% of the state).

Old 10-29-2014, 09:15 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,950 times
Indeed, it is more like SE Texas than it is like the South.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:17 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
This is where I think you're wrong. The south is far more diverse than most folks give it credit for. The upper south is different from the deep south, the far SE Piedmont region is different from say the Bayous of Louisiana or the Big Thicket of east Texas or the south-central heartland of Tennessee and Kentucky. yet there is enough there to tie it all together and label it "southern"

Besides, Catholics are a minority in the south but religion in my opinion doesn't make anyone "less" southern. Neither does politics, it's dialect, accents, cultural affinities and overtones that bring it all together.
I totally agree with Eric Old Time on this one. Good post Eric Old Time.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Louisiana is different from other Southern states, but it is still most definitely Southern. In fact it's Deep South.

And most of Louisiana is the same as neighboring states. Only southern Louisiana is different. Really you're not describing the state as a whole, but just the part south of I-10 (which is like 15-20% of the state).
People say the same crap about Kentucky and Texas that it is or isn't the South. I agree with you thou LA is 100 percent Southern even New Orleans which has a European fair and is way more socially liberal than the rest of the South is still very Southern in feel.

Last edited by UKWildcat1981; 10-29-2014 at 09:33 AM..

Old 10-29-2014, 09:27 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
I realize that the OP is making this post in sarcasm.

Again, having a bunch of french canadians exiled to your shores 200 years ago is an aberration to the traditional southern culture.

I mean what is different about the Acadians coming to Louisiana in 1800 and bringing and evolving their own culture as opposed to the Cubans who came to Miami in 1960?

Yet people will argue up and down that Miami isn't "southern" because of all the Cubans and northerners who have come down there.

I imagine in 150 years those Cubans will be just as southern as anybody else.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:32 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,299 times
Some people think Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia are the only true southern states. I disagree with that.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Some people think Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia are the only true southern states. I disagree with that.
Those people who argue that are idiots.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:46 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I realize that the OP is making this post in sarcasm.

Again, having a bunch of french canadians exiled to your shores 200 years ago is an aberration to the traditional southern culture.

I mean what is different about the Acadians coming to Louisiana in 1800 and bringing and evolving their own culture as opposed to the Cubans who came to Miami in 1960?

Yet people will argue up and down that Miami isn't "southern" because of all the Cubans and northerners who have come down there.

I imagine in 150 years those Cubans will be just as southern as anybody else.
I'll definitely disagree with this. Louisiana is Southern, but most of Florida is not Southern.

And Florida is much less Southern than in the past. Even Miami felt like a Southern city up until the mid 1980's. Now everything from Orlando south feels like a blend between Northeastern U.S. and Latin America. You hear more New York and Colombian accents than Southern ones.

In 150 years, the state will probably be overwhelmingly Hispanic, not Southern in feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.