Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 01:36 PM

49 posts, read 64,446 times

Advertisements

I don't think Northern Kentucky would even have people if not for Cincinnati...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 01:45 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I thought that NOLA had a heavier influince than Houston.
On what? The Gulf coast? Um, no.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:59 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
On what? The Gulf coast? Um, no.
So how does Houston influences the Gulf ? I would say coastal Mississippi and Coastal Alabama have a thicker Gulf culture than Houston.Well that is what I observed,and the heart of the Gulf culture is southern Louisiana.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
So how does Houston influences the Gulf ? I would say coastal Mississippi and Coastal Alabama have a thicker Gulf culture than Houston.Well that is what I observed,and the heart of the Gulf culture is southern Louisiana.
"How does Houston influence the Gulf?" Really?

Well, for one thing, it's by far the largest population center on the Gulf coast, the second busiest port in the nation, a magnet for international immigration and commerce, the headquarters of the Energy industry (an industry that dominates the region from Mexico to the Mississippi-Louisiana state line), has more professional sports teams than any other Gulf coast city (if that's important to you), is easily the fastest-growing metro in the region, and is the major transportation and distribution hub for the entire coast from roughly Biloxi down to Brownsville.

Also, I did mention earlier that once you get as far East as Baton Rouge, it's influence is shared with New Orleans, and from the MS-AL state line to points East, it dies out.

I see that you live in Mobile, so you probably see a lot more of the NO influence in your corner of the Gulf. I get that, but to your West it's a different story. I think in a much earlier era NO had more influence on the region, but in 2014 Houston looms much larger.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
"How does Houston influence the Gulf?" Really?

Well, for one thing, it's by far the largest population center on the Gulf coast, the second busiest port in the nation, a magnet for international immigration and commerce, the headquarters of the Energy industry (an industry that dominates the region from Mexico to the Mississippi-Louisiana state line), has more professional sports teams than any other Gulf coast city (if that's important to you), is easily the fastest-growing metro in the region, and is the major transportation and distribution hub for the entire coast from roughly Biloxi down to Brownsville.

Also, I did mention earlier that once you get as far East as Baton Rouge, it's influence is shared with New Orleans, and from the MS-AL state line to points East, it dies out.

I see that you live in Mobile, so you probably see a lot more of the NO influence in your corner of the Gulf. I get that, but to your West it's a different story. I think in a much earlier era NO had more influence on the region, but in 2014 Houston looms much larger.
Hmmm I see your point.Maybe influence could be looked at in different ways.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:00 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,038 times
I would say Baltimore is very influential to Maryland, but outside of Maryland the cities sphere of influence is almost non-existent.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Hmmm I see your point.Maybe influence could be looked at in different ways.
If you mean cultural influence alone, then yes... New Orleans definitely holds more sway over coastal MS and AL than Houston does. In fact, I would say that culturally (as in local, traditional culture), Houston's sphere of influence probably doesn't go much further East than Lafayette... and even by then it's pretty much 50-50 with NO. Houston's culture is much more dominant in the state of Texas than it is to the East.

It's economic influence reaches much further though.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Los Angeles.... it's sphere of influences pretty much covers the whole nation

Old 11-20-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
If you mean cultural influence alone, then yes... New Orleans definitely holds more sway over coastal MS and AL than Houston does. In fact, I would say that culturally (as in local, traditional culture), Houston's sphere of influence probably doesn't go much further East than Lafayette... and even by then it's pretty much 50-50 with NO. Houston's culture is much more dominant in the state of Texas than it is to the East.

It's economic influence reaches much further though.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.