Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 09:51 PM

121 posts, read 342,292 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know what cities or towns you feel very fortunate to live in, even after many years of being there. In my view, places may have climates that are hot, or very cold and snowy, but it is the people that make a city/town what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 09:54 PM

401 posts, read 552,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rialta View Post
I am curious to know what cities or towns you feel very fortunate to live in, even after many years of being there. In my view, places may have climates that are hot, or very cold and snowy, but it is the people that make a city/town what it is.
Growing up in Long Island and not early 90s NYC. It was safe, great education, and despite being boring I enjoyed it

Old 12-19-2014, 10:01 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times
Cleveland is a city I'm very passionate about. I was born here, but aside from those sentimental attachments, I feel it's a very special place. Although it's faded, it retains a certain glory and splendor from its past that I find very unique and appealing. Parts of it have been neglected for a long time, but that's slowly been changing for the last couple decades, with the pace quickening in recent years. I'm passionately invested in being part of that change.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:53 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
There are so many amazing places with some great, interesting people: New England; Lakes District, Rangeley, Maine or Gloucester, Mass; North Coastal California; New York City; Sand Hills of Nebraska just to name a few, but I will say that to me it is primarily the neighborhood which one lives in (if you actually reside in one) that absolutely makes or breaks it when it comes to having an an appreciation or even better a passion for it.

I can say that I am very passionate about my neighborhood and also my city, I have never lived in a place that had such a connected and vibrant feeling that is so apparent and accessible every day. It is this crazy friendly, historical, unique and independent minded village where everybody know your name, directly adjacent the (somewhat) big and happening city of San Diego. Canyons and Craftsman houses abound, downtown (baseball park), the bay, harbor and ocean just a couple of miles away (a vigorous 35 minute walk) yet you feel like you are in Pleasantville from the '50s here, just a much hipper and dynamic version of it. It absolutely did take me a while to, one, get comfortable in living in a city from the tiny mountain town that I grew up in, and two, to just finally find my place here in it.

South Park, San Diego Official Website - Welcome

I can honestly say that if I won $200 million in the lottery that I wouldn't even think of moving away from our modest cottage and amazing friends and neighbors. And having grown up in the mountains, far from the sea, I will never take for granted the availability of popping in the ocean for a rough water swim with the dolphins, harbor seals, rays and sharks (mostly harmless leopards, yikes). It is a spiritual experience.

I hope that folks all over this country have found that excellent place as I have, whatever that entails, and I know, of course, that that definition and description can be totally different than mine and absolutely as viable and perfect for them as this place is for me.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:58 PM

121 posts, read 342,292 times
That is cool! I was in SD in August and didn't even know about South Park - I thought it was tongue-in-cheek like the TV show. I will have to go there on my next trip.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:34 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
Lafayette Louisiana. Not too large or too small. 6th fastest ranked internet in the world. Cajun culture keeps it exciting. Constantly growing and evolving. One of the fastest growing middle classes in America. Some of the best food, great festivals, amazing happy people, so many amenities and things to do for a city this size, a great university and a fun college atmosphere. Its just the best!

Old 12-21-2014, 09:46 AM

466 posts, read 982,661 times
Rochester, NY. It's a great area with plenty to offer. A ton of culture for a city its size.

Downtown was pretty neglected through the 90's, but it's really starting to come back. There are massive projects underway to transform downtown and the population there has been steadily rising over the last 5 years.

It's always been a metro with some of the nicest suburbs anywhere, but now downtown is starting to come back. 3 years from now it'll be completely different.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:07 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Charleston, S.C. one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the nation. Love it.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:27 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Charleston, S.C. one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the nation. Love it.
My partner has gone there a few times on business and loves it and says I would just go nuts over the architecture there. He brought back a nice coffee table book on it with beautiful photography and he is not exaggerating. I hope to visit it soon.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:45 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
My partner has gone there a few times on business and loves it and says I would just go nuts over the architecture there. He brought back a nice coffee table book on it with beautiful photography and he is not exaggerating. I hope to visit it soon.
I think you will enjoy your trip. Come on down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.