Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:52 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,098 times

Advertisements

"Would I be a fit for __ __ __ __? "
I generally don't even answer those anymore. You don't know if you are going to be a fit 'til you live there
And, as mentioned, neighborhoods are what is most important, not cities or states.

One thing I think of recently, on any given thread or post, 30% of the people who reply to it really have no opinion one way or the other, but will still take time to post something in opposition to the O.P., just because.

One big thing I wish people would understand, is to travel with open heart and mind. For Example: if you don't want to visit the South, because you are a "Progressive"(?), you are missing some fantastic culture. Useless, petty political beliefs should never be a factor in determining where you visit or live. "Nice" is universal. Embrace it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 11:56 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
I think it has more to do with political affiliation. Too me, this site has a conservative bias, especially when you go onto the politics and current events forums, tons of hardcore conservative blokes there.
Exactly.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:49 PM

451 posts, read 562,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Here's another disclaimer that will let you know that a city vs city thread is sliding into a petty flame war:

X city absolutely destroys Y city!!

That city can't hang with these cities.

This city is better, no questions.

X city blows Y city away in practically every single category!!!

My city OWNS your city!

Basically stuff of that nature....It often displays the maturity of some of the posters on C-D. It's adorable sometimes
You beat me to it.

A couple that I absolutely abhor:
X city blows Y city out of the water.
X city is better than Y city hands down.

Really any thread within any category on CD is generally likely to instigate some kind of flame war. When it comes to geography (City vs City or General U.S.) there tends to be a ton of bashing by trolls who have little knowledge of a region they are criticizing but believe they are knowledgeable, or are basing everything they know from stereotypes and generalize the entire area.

For instance: I went to X city for the weekend once and saw nothing but homeless people along Main St. City X is a dirty city with nothing but bums, I will never visit again.

I wont name any names, but the trolls are usually the same people and hold their grudges/biases for and against certain cities.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
"Would I be a fit for __ __ __ __? "
I generally don't even answer those anymore. You don't know if you are going to be a fit 'til you live there
And, as mentioned, neighborhoods are what is most important, not cities or states.

One thing I think of recently, on any given thread or post, 30% of the people who reply to it really have no opinion one way or the other, but will still take time to post something in opposition to the O.P., just because.

One big thing I wish people would understand, is to travel with open heart and mind. For Example: if you don't want to visit the South, because you are a "Progressive"(?), you are missing some fantastic culture. Useless, petty political beliefs should never be a factor in determining where you visit or live. "Nice" is universal. Embrace it
These are great points. I would like to expand a bit by adding some additional observations.

I often think that when people come to any one particular city's forum ask "Would I be fit for?" or "Would I fit in?" your city they are not asking a question but rather for validation. This as in I am such-and-such or so-and-so look at me I know you will think I really am a perfect fit but I am describing myself so you will agree. They describe themselves according to the stereotypical character of that city so as to receive positive feedback.

But this is after all the Internet, who knows what they are really like? I have a tendency to think some people who post this way are describing themselves the way they want to be and not the way they are because they so desperately want to fit into a new mold.

Regarding those who respond to inquires about their city who reply just to be in opposition, I think that's true too. Another variation of this is one poster on a city forum I know who responds to just about every inquiry about her city whether she has an answer or not. She told me once that she feels every question should be responded to so she gives vague answers or reaches into the past and just talks about the olden days. This is sometimes misleading and confuses the issue because her answers may give outdated information. Others will set the OP straight but what a waste of time.

These are just a few reasons as to why people must take with a grain of salt information gotten off message boards. While I have gotten some very valuable accurate information for my recent relocation, I have also been made very aware that information often needs to be researched for validity. And rule of thumb for me is the more people say something about a place, the more I think what they are saying needs to be validated.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:58 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
These are great points. I would like to expand a bit by adding some additional observations.

------

I often think that when people come to any one particular city's forum ask "Would I be fit for?" or "Would I fit in?" your city they are not asking a question but rather for validation.

-------

And rule of thumb for me is the more people say something about a place, the more I think what they are saying needs to be validated.
As usual, I feel your insights are spot-on.
I would add, my Wife and I, although settled down now, were sort of roaming hippies who've lived in a lot of different places over the past two decades. I visit a lot of forums for those places out of curiosity, and if a post in the opening index page (ie: I live in Vermont and am Moving to Fl) might be something I can add something to, I will respond in a way I feel might be useful. As to be expected, I/you will get jumped on a lot by the 'regulars', but I have learned this is a good thing. To me, CD forums for their respective areas are consistent and a pretty good indication of the type of 'feel' or vibe that area really has. The type of responses I get to a lot of my posts I can see getting in-person in the store or something like that. I feel new people can gain a lot of insight just by watching how the regulars interact with random, casual posters to that forum.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:54 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
You beat me to it.

A couple that I absolutely abhor:
X city blows Y city out of the water.
X city is better than Y city hands down.

Really any thread within any category on CD is generally likely to instigate some kind of flame war. When it comes to geography (City vs City or General U.S.) there tends to be a ton of bashing by trolls who have little knowledge of a region they are criticizing but believe they are knowledgeable, or are basing everything they know from stereotypes and generalize the entire area.

For instance: I went to X city for the weekend once and saw nothing but homeless people along Main St. City X is a dirty city with nothing but bums, I will never visit again.

I wont name any names, but the trolls are usually the same people and hold their grudges/biases for and against certain cities.
I wonder if the most hardcore City-Data arguers even enjoy their own city.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:04 PM

448 posts, read 812,708 times
Quote:
Don't judge a city by the way it's depicted on a TV show; chances are you aren't going to live as they do if you move there.
Chances are also high that the city on the TV show is not the city where the TV show is filmed!

Old 01-03-2015, 11:50 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
Chances are also high that the city on the TV show is not the city where the TV show is filmed!
And if it is, they are only going to show the parts of the city that are necessary for their storylines. So some gullible viewers will log onto websites of city forums and confidently state that so-and-so city has no slums or shabby neighborhoods whatsoever or such-and-such city has nothing but slums and shabby neighborhoods.

I don't believe there is a city in existence that doesn't have some less-than-desirable-areas in which most people if they had the choice would not want to live. You can call them slums, shabby or whatever but they exist everywhere.

I once had a neighbor in Portland who swore up and down that Chicago had no single dwelling houses in any neighborhood and that all neighborhoods consisted only of concrete jungles with little to no grass or trees. She had only seen Chicago scenes on TV from the TV show "Good Times" which took place in Cabrini Green or along the North side lakefront and the Gold Coast on Michigan Av where opening scenes from "The Bob Newhart" show took place.

That show BTW, showed Bob going to work which would have been impossible in real life were he to take the transportation he used. He would have wound up in the suburb of Evanston instead of Granville Gardens in Chicago where he and Emily allegedly lived. I know because I lived across the street from that building. I also lived in Evanston for a time and recognized the station where he got off to get home. It was way past the stop he should have gotten off to get to his apartment but was much more attractive so that's probably why the TV location people chose it.

I told the neighbor there were plenty of single dwelling houses in Chicago neighborhoods with grass and trees and even backyards. I had to show her pictures of homes for sale on the Internet to convince her. She was really surprised. People just take for granted what they see on TV as the way things are. Unfortunately, they also take for granted what they read on the Internet as the absolute truth. That's why my main disclaimer would be to go see for yourself. Don't let others form your opinions for you. Otherwise you might find yourself getting off at the "wrong station. "

Last edited by Minervah; 01-03-2015 at 12:08 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 11:54 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
45% humidity is not dry.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:32 PM

192 posts, read 248,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
And if it is, they are only going to show the parts of the city that are necessary for their storylines. So some gullible viewers will log onto websites of city forums and confidently state that so-and-so city has no slums or shabby neighborhoods whatsoever or such-and-such city has nothing but slums and shabby neighborhoods.

I don't believe there is a city in existence that doesn't have some less-than-desirable-areas in which most people if they had the choice would not want to live. You can call them slums, shabby or whatever but they exist everywhere.

I once had a neighbor in Portland who swore up and down that Chicago had no single dwelling houses in any neighborhood and that all neighborhoods consisted only of concrete jungles with little to no grass or trees. She had only seen Chicago scenes on TV from the TV show "Good Times" which took place in Cabrini Green or along the North side lakefront and the Gold Coast on Michigan Av where opening scenes from "The Bob Newhart" show took place.

That show BTW, showed Bob going to work which would have been impossible in real life were he to take the transportation he used. He would have wound up in the suburb of Evanston instead of Granville Gardens in Chicago where he and Emily allegedly lived. I know because I lived across the street from that building. I also lived in Evanston for a time and recognized the station where he got off to get home. It was way past the stop he should have gotten off to get to his apartment but was much more attractive so that's probably why the TV location people chose it.

I told the neighbor there were plenty of single dwelling houses in Chicago neighborhoods with grass and trees and even backyards. I had to show her pictures of homes for sale on the Internet to convince her. She was really surprised. People just take for granted what they see on TV as the way things are. Unfortunately, they also take for granted what they read on the Internet as the absolute truth. That's why my main disclaimer would be to go see for yourself. Don't let others form your opinions for you. Otherwise you might find yourself getting off at the "wrong station. "
Yeah try anywhere outside of downtown, ie the South and West sides. The majority of the city IS like that.
Source: me lived in Chi for 6 years. One of the worst major cities, only slightly better than Baltimore, less than LA NYC St Louis and DC for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.